Any ROL Regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&P-Stat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, it's too late to change our ROL's, but does anyone have any regrets about their lists?

After much debate, I decided to rank based entirely on location. This meant shoving some great programs further down my list so that schools closer to home could make my top 5. Now, it seems like everyone I talk to is giving me grief for giving up the opportunity to train at a more "prestigious" program.

And you know what... they're right!!!! What have I done?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I am having some serious regrets!!! I have a good chance of getting into my #1 choice and now I'm FREAKING out about this. What a mistake. Is it bad to pray for the scramble?? I picked it because it's one of those "prestigious" programs you spoke about. Please, some how let my ROL never make it through to the other side.

:eek:

It's all about location bro. The very day after the ROL deadline, I talked to a dude that I haven't seen for a while, and he shed some new light on my #6 (!)... true it's in Newark... and true Newark is hell on earth, but he told me that all the residents live in Jersey City which is phat, and only like 10 minutes by train to the city! What have I done? 10 minutes to NYC? Do you have any idea how many XX chromosomes there are in NYC :eek: !? Oh well, it's out of my hands now...

:(

hey guys/gals,
i agree, if you went with your gut feelings you'll be all right. i ranked on location and asked myself "am i going to be happy here at this program and in this city for the next 4 years?" there is absolutely nothing you can do about the list now, let it go and RELAX

LIVE LIFE WITHOUT REGRETS!!! :horns:

I woke up this AM thinking about my ROL. I have a reasonably good shot at my number 1, and then the next 3 programs are probably long shots since they are pretty competitive "name" places... My number five is a great program, but is 1200 miles away in a big, crime-ridden city. I had really struggled about the number 5 slot since if I don't get my #1 I have a good chance of getting number 5. My number 6 is a solid program in my home town but in the end I went with the prestigious name at number 5. I was like, "****! What did I DO?"

But I figure, it's a done deal. If you think about it, we are already matched wherever we are matched sinced the programs submitted their ROLs too... I wonder if program directors are waking up and second-guessing themselves too?

Either way Iwe should eb happy that we made it to year 4 unscathed, and in a couple of weeks we are gonna be locked in for the next 3-7 years in a cool ass job no matter where it is. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Location is so important! I know I probably wont have time to take in all the cultural activities in the places I ranked, but just knowing that there is an art museum, a symphony and at least one pro sports team makes me feel at ease. Plus, location matters in terms of dating and trying to find that special lady. (Que the seventies music) Good luck to everyone on match day!

I'm one of those grass is greener on the other side folks. So for me, if I put program X number one, I kept thinking that I would rather be at program Y(#2). Then if I would switch the ROL with Y being #1, I would go back to thinking that I would rather be at X. A good recipe for insanity.

So I reasoned it out this way. Unless you are a superstar, you have a pretty good chance of NOT matching at your #1. So in other words, it's the program's decision not yours. So leave it up to the match! And besides, you'll probably make the best of wherever you go and be happy... hopefully.

Yet still... wondering if I should've ranked my #3 choice as #1...
Insanity is slowly creeping up...

Reactions: 1 user
Ok... so there's this program that's been in some trouble lately, probational accreditation a few years back, lots of attendings leaving, low resident morale, etc. But, they have a new chairman who was incredible during the interview... dynamic, dedicated, with a wonderful vision for the direction of the program. In a few years, this program could be one of the best in the country. The key word is COULD.

I ranked them high based on my impression of the chairman and my faith in him.... But, I've been known to misjudge people in the past. Now I keep thinking... a bird in the hand... don't count your chickens... you just screwed the pooch.

Urgh.... I'm already rehearsing my phony smile if I match there. Anyone wanna help me hack into the NRMP?

I'm just kidding... don't arrest me.

Dr. Cuts gets my vote for best SDN avatar

Originally posted by save10
Dr. Cuts gets my vote for best SDN avatar

Thanks man... I've worked hard to achieve those dashing good looks...

:cool:

Now that we just got a foot of snow dumped on us last night, I'm regretting not putting my Cali program at the top. Chicago over Cali...what was I thinkin?

Originally posted by circleK
Now that we just got a foot of snow dumped on us last night, I'm regretting not putting my Cali program at the top. Chicago over Cali...what was I thinkin?

I actually thought it was gonna be much worse the way people were talking about it yesterday. Besides, spring & summer in Chicago make up for winter here... and spring is right around the corner now... can't wait :D! What are you going for circleK?

By the way nice pics... I'm still trying to get as ripped as you are...

:mad: :cool:

Big-time regrets, friends. As Annette knows from reading the EM forum, I made my ROL based on proximity to a woman whom I wanted to chase. Not a girlfriend, mind you, but someone I'd met a few times who seemed interesting.

Big mistake! Three days after submitting my ROL, I met this woman again and she wasn't that hot, after all. Oops. Now I'm just hoping that I'll match lower on my list.

Then again, there are a lot of other hot 'n horny XX chromosome pairs in the city I ranked at the top (shouts out to the Cutman), so I might be in hog heaven after all.

:love:

:clap:

Originally posted by Hornet871
Big-time regrets, friends. As Annette knows from reading the EM forum, I made my ROL based on proximity to a woman whom I wanted to chase. Not a girlfriend, mind you, but someone I'd met a few times who seemed interesting.

Big mistake! Three days after submitting my ROL, I met this woman again and she wasn't that hot, after all. Oops. Now I'm just hoping that I'll match lower on my list.

Then again, there are a lot of other hot 'n horny XX chromosome pairs in the city I ranked at the top (shouts out to the Cutman), so I might be in hog heaven after all.

Whadup Horny871 :cool: !? This girl... is she the same one... you know... not with highbeams but rather foglights? Now she's no good huh? :confused: Man you musta drank too much that night. Note to self: Never make life decisions based on impressions you get when inebriated. Don't worry bro... there are indeed plenty of Barr Bodies where you're going... and there's a chance I might end up there too... together we can rule the city :eek:...

:cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

hey cuts, whaddya mean "together you can rule the city"...

with a mullet like that, nobody else has a chance. you gettin all the love, everyone else gets leftovers.:cool:

let me know what city you are gonna be in, so i can go somewhere else, where the chicks might go for a second stringer like me...

truyly, you da man...
:clap:

oh yeah, guys.....watch out for those kleinfelter synd folks...they have barr bodies as well, if i remember my genetics, along with other physical properties that i am pretty sure you aren't lookin' for....;)

stay outa trouble you two...:laugh:

Hornet, I thought you were going to NYC for pixie virgin ******, and I thought Cuts was staying in Chi town. Now, ya'll going to Cali? No wonder you guys are worried about Kleinfleters!

Cuts - I'm goin for anesthesiology. Saw your TY ROL on that post. We may be in the same place next year as mine's pretty similar...maybe we'll both get unbelievably lucky and end up at St. Francis. Course I've probably got a better chance of being struck by lightning.

Originally posted by circleK
Cuts - I'm goin for anesthesiology. Saw your TY ROL on that post. We may be in the same place next year as mine's pretty similar...maybe we'll both get unbelievably lucky and end up at St. Francis. Course I've probably got a better chance of being struck by lightning.

Well bro I think you have a better chance than I do... I too interviewed for Miami Gas... but I didn't get a phone call like you you stud :wow: . Course it might have something to do with the fact that it was a Saturday morning (ie. post-Friday night) interview and I was in a (clearing throat) suboptimal cognitive state.

10 days... my BP's rising :eek: ...

Hey Cuts,

BI-Newark is not that bad of a place, besides, jersey city or hoboken are cool places to live, especially hoboken and then you are only a path ride away from the village. You don't take call the 1st six months there... how bad could life be... radiology or bust. ;)

Originally posted by Voxel
Hey Cuts,

BI-Newark is not that bad of a place, besides, jersey city or hoboken are cool places to live, especially hoboken and then you are only a path ride away from the village. You don't take call the 1st six months there... how bad could life be... radiology or bust. ;)

Voxel... my man! So I've heard... I was smart enough to bump it up on my ROL just a few hours before the deadline... and more than a few other people have mentioned JC and Hoboken as being cool places to live. You got it man... Rads or BUST.

:cool:

Dr. Cuts wrote:
"This girl... is she the same one... you know... not with highbeams but rather foglights? Now she's no good huh? Man you musta drank too much that night. Note to self: Never make life decisions based on impressions you get when inebriated."

Yeah, man, it's the same girl. It's strange: even though she's not pretty, I'd still like just once to eat her p-ussy. Go figure.

Originally posted by Hornet871
Dr. Cuts wrote:
"This girl... is she the same one... you know... not with highbeams but rather foglights? Now she's no good huh? Man you musta drank too much that night. Note to self: Never make life decisions based on impressions you get when inebriated."

Yeah, man, it's the same girl. It's strange: even though she's not pretty, I'd still like just once to eat her p-ussy. Go figure.

HA! You dog! You're my idol!

:clap: :eek: :clap: :eek: :clap: :eek: :clap:

the non-ironic use of "phat". this thread is a time capsule.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you really just bump a 13yo thread and then delete your post?

635739722929348256329587656_86d4980acf1b1c3f7aef9f3c1024508d.jpg

WTF is this thread omg lol.
SDN 13 years ago was nuts.

Solid necrobump, although it is relevant to this forum in its current state.

I enjoyed this read
Quoted Psai, but question goes for everyone: do you think you would have joined SDN 2003? It's hard to imagine going through medical school without being part of this community, but this retro SDN is like visiting a foreign country where I don't think I'd fit in.