Any Schools That You Have Yet To Hear From?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYCOM, Drexel & Jefferson for me --

Anyone else not heard from a school or two... and this doesn't mean post-interview. I'm talking no word since a "complete" letter or since your application was considered complete [primary (AACOMAS/AMCAS), secondary, fee, and LORs].

I've heard horror stories about people NEVER hearing back from a school. In my opinion, that's ridiculous because you give them 50-100 dollars to read over 3 pages of information. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to send you a 1-page rejection letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Drexel and Howard for me. I am not anticipating an official rejection anytime soon.

NYCOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM

I stopped caring long ago, though, ever since I was accepted at, and decided to attend, KCUMB. It would be nice to be complete with the above, however, just for the sake of completion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard a peep from Drexel, RFU, PCOM or NYCOM. 2 of those bum me out, but whatever.
At this point how I feel guys - it's their loss. :p They had their chance.

BTW, a friend of mine applied last year & didn't get his rejection from Howard until late July, after he was getting interview invitations for THIS cycle! Or, at least, close to the time. Maybe it was while he was filling out secondaries. July seems too early.

Haven't heard a peep from Drexel, RFU, PCOM or NYCOM. 2 of those bum me out, but whatever.
At this point how I feel guys - it's their loss. :p They had their chance.

BTW, a friend of mine applied last year & didn't get his rejection from Howard until late July, after he was getting interview invitations for THIS cycle!

lmao :laugh:

Seems like PCOM and NYCOM are two school notorious for not letting know applicants what the deal is. (Sucks for me since those are two schools I really like)

lmao :laugh:

Seems like PCOM and NYCOM are two school notorious for not letting know applicants what the deal is. (Sucks for me since those are two schools I really like)

Yeah, it does seem that way. From what I hear, it is even more important to apply early and to be complete early with those schools; they can drag their feet.

Yeah, it does seem that way. From what I hear, it is even more important to apply early and to be complete early with those schools; they can drag their feet.

Interestingly, PCOM claimed they had 2 applicants with my name this year. Maybe they mixed us up. Oh well. There was a time long ago when they were my first choice. Not any more!

Both NYCOM & PCOM lean towards state residents.

I already have my personal statement and ECs written out. I will be submitting on day one baby!

I already have my personal statement and ECs written out. I will be submitting on day one baby!

Plus call 'em up to verify you're complete. Some schools expect extra weird things from you before you're officially complete, and they don't tell you you're not.

Drexel & Jefferson for me --

Anyone else not heard from a school or two... and this doesn't mean post-interview. I'm talking no word since a "complete" letter or since your application was considered complete [primary (AACOMAS/AMCAS), secondary, fee, and LORs].

I've heard horror stories about people NEVER hearing back from a school. In my opinion, that's ridiculous because you give them 50-100 dollars to read over 3 pages of information. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to send you a 1-page rejection letter.

PCOM didn't even send me the "your application is complete" notice. (Yes, my application was completed, but I had to call them to confirm it.) Feels like a waste of time, effort, and money. I wish they'd selectively invite submissions of secondary applications. [cynicism] I wonder if they screen primaries without telling anyone, let those screened out send in their supplementals (and the fee), but put it straight into the circular filing cabinet. [/cynicism]

A side note, nearly every singly communication I've had from them begins with some variation of "Sorry for taking so long..."

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM, NYCOM, and New Jersey...

i think this is incredibly unprofessional i might add. after taking the time to complete their application and sending money, the very least they could do is send out some kind of notification and at least acknowledge that they are making a fortune out of people who (for the most part) can least afford to shell out that kind of money.

as bad as it sucks to get a rejection letter, it at least provides some closure.

oh well. i guess these schools don't make enough from the application fees and outrageous tuition they charge to pay the price to send out one stupid letter.

i am just glad that i did get an acceptance elsewhere and will be starting in the fall.

I have not heard a word from NYCOM after being notified that they received my primary application, and I have not heard from Jefferson after I completed my secondary some time last year.

PCOM and UMDNJ. I totally agree- closure would be nice and not really all that much to ask for.

I have not heard from PCOM yet, but I was notified last week that I will not be receiving an interview offer from OU-COM. OU-COM wishes me the best in my future endeavors. :cool:

NYCOM, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, & Drexel!

UMDNJ.

I don't know what went wrong. Never received any single letter from them. Not even emails.

Hmmm....I withdrew from PCOM months ago and never bothered with the secondary for UMDNJ. Sounds like that was a good decision.:smuggrin: :laugh: :p

I have not heard from PCOM yet, but I was notified last week that I will not be receiving an interview offer from OU-COM. OU-COM wishes me the best in my future endeavors. :cool:

Ahhh, good for that. That's downright friendly of them. ;)

I'll just say that it's been quite enlightening to see how unprofessional some schools are as I've gone through this process.

*Nod* I was very unhappy with the curt treatment that I received from Touro-CA. Very little notification of anything from them, beyond the fact that I was complete. When I asked for an e-mail status update, I received the "currently under review" treatment. When I asked again, later, they sent me an e-mail saying "There has been no change in your status since you last wrote us a month ago." I thought that was just rude; pardon me for displaying interest in your school and being proactive about my own future! I guess that's not a quality they look for in med students...

I didn't get any real information from them until I wrote Dr. Haight, who informed me I wouldn't be getting an interview invitation because of my low science GPA. Bad news, but at least it was something. I don't think I would've heard anything by this point, if I hadn't written directly to him.

You give them 50-100 dollars to read over 3 pages of information. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to send you a 1-page rejection letter.

Albany sent me a 2-page rejection letter. Does that make me special?
It listed how I could improve my numerous flaws and faults.
Thank you, sir, may I have another?

*Nod* I was very unhappy with the curt treatment that I received from Touro-CA. Very little notification of anything from them, beyond the fact that I was complete. When I asked for an e-mail status update, I received the "currently under review" treatment. When I asked again, later, they sent me an e-mail saying "There has been no change in your status since you last wrote us a month ago." I thought that was just rude; pardon me for displaying interest in your school and being proactive about my own future! I guess that's not a quality they look for in med students...

I didn't get any real information from them until I wrote Dr. Haight, who informed me I wouldn't be getting an interview invitation because of my low science GPA. Bad news, but at least it was something. I don't think I would've heard anything by this point, if I hadn't written directly to him.

What the frick!!! That is downright mean!!!!

Albany sent me a 2-page rejection letter. Does that make me special?
It listed how I could improve my numerous flaws and faults.
Thank you, sir, may I have another?

:eek:

Well, at least they cared enough to send you something (and informational, too), even if could have been done with better tact.

What I dislike most are the generic rejection letters that start with, "We regret..." Yeah, right. :laugh:

There's no excuse for the run around that they gave you. :thumbdown:

On the other hand, they pretty much have us by the perverbial balls during much of the process, don't they? It's as you stated before, "Thank you, Sir! May I have some more?" I guess there's no compelling incentive for these agencies to behave in a particularly noble manner for the most part, as demand for us to use their services remain greater than their need for us to apply there. We pay them to judge us as qualified, or not, to pay them even more money to attend their institution.

I'm so glad that this part of the process is over.

Both PCOMs and MSU. Jeez louise, people. I'm even from Philly!

Now that I remember, I'm still waiting on KCOM too. yeesh.

What I dislike most are the generic rejection letters that start with, "We regret..." Yeah, right. :laugh:

Oh, come on now. You dislike generic rejection letters? So you think that med schools that receive thousands and thousands of applications should take the time to write each applicant an individualized rejection letter?? You're not serious, are you? And you would be happier if the rejection letter said, "We are pleased to inform you ... "?

Oh, come on now. You dislike generic rejection letters? So you think that med schools that receive thousands and thousands of applications should take the time to write each applicant an individualized rejection letter?? You're not serious, are you? And you would be happier if the rejection letter said, "We are pleased to inform you ... "?

It's not the lack of uniqueness, but the mock sympathy that are enshrouded in statements such as "We regret...".

One of my co-workers got the worst one of theses I've ever seen: "It is with regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away....We acknowledge and respect your accomplishments, and recognize that our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions proces is a loss for X university."

Puh-leeease, it hurts us as much as it hurts you? Just say the person's app is no longer being considered and be short about it. No one wnats to read 3 or 4 lines to get that message.

It's not the lack of uniqueness, but the mock sympathy that are enshrouded in statements such as "We regret...".

One of my co-workers got the worst one of theses I've ever seen: "It is with regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away....We acknowledge and respect your accomplishments, and recognize that our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions proces is a loss for X university."

Puh-leeease, it hurts us as much as it hurts you? Just say the person's app is no longer being considered and be short about it. No one wnats to read 3 or 4 lines to get that message.

I agree completely. Honestly, all I want is every school to have a decently functioning and accurate online account center. Don't send me a letter, you don't even have to say sorry, just check the box that says rejected :cool:

How do you know it's "mock sympathy"? Are you so jaded by this process that you can't even admit the possibility that some (not all) admissions folks genuinely regret that the limited number of seats means that many well-qualified applicants must be turned away?

I recently had the responsibility of hiring someone for my department. I had three excellent candidates, but only one position. I genuinely did regret having to tell two excellent candidates that they weren't being selected for the position. It wasn't "mock sympathy." Being admitted, or not being admitted to medical school, is a life-altering event. Admissions people understand this.

One of my co-workers got the worst one of theses I've ever seen: "It is with regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away....We acknowledge and respect your accomplishments, and recognize that our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions proces is a loss for X university."Puh-leeease, it hurts us as much as it hurts you? Just say the person's app is no longer being considered and be short about it. No one wnats to read 3 or 4 lines to get that message.

OK. I agree that the "it hurts us as much as it hurts you" approach is a little over the top. But one extreme example doesn't establish that all rejection letters are disingenuous.

Well, some do appear to be individualized, as evidenced by StringerBell's letter, but, you are correct, most letters are likely to be quite generic, for good reason. I actually thought one letter that was sent to me was believeable, but the rest, not so much.

I'm not impervious to tone, and I believe that I have a fairly well-develop sense for authenticity. In other words, I think I can detect what sounds like disingenuity in a piece of writing. Whether it is truly the case that the writer is being disingenous, or not, I can't actually know. I'm sure it's true that in some cases there is actual regret, but it seems likely that by-in-large, the writer is simply fulfilling a job duty. When I read the words of one director of admissions, I actually believed that this person cared about the process greatly and had read through all of the applications, considering and reviewing quite carefully before making a decision. At least that's how that individual made me feel and how that person's tone came across in the personally signed rejection letter. Most of the rejection letters that I received were generic and neutral in tone, however. Honestly, when I read the important lines of most of these letters, I sort of checked out.

Anyway, it is more accurate and unarguable to say that I projected disingenuity, or at least disinterest, onto many of the rejection letters I received. I projected sincerity onto one that I received. Whether these were accurate projections, or not, is perhaps, impossible to know. In any case, I'm no longer interested in placing my attention onto them. However, any way we cut it, in most cases, rejection hurts.

My projections notwithstanding, I appreciate that I received a definitive answer from a majority of the places that I applied and followed through with. Again, I'm glad that this part of the process is finished.

a couple...pretty dang bad of them to send NOTHING back

We should start an official count...PCOM!

PCOM- Not a word since they sent me their secondary. I had to call to make sure they received it.

I did finally hear from UMDNJ last week, but I got a letter for their special masters program a month before I got the rejection letter...needless to say I thought it was pretty clear from the SMP notice that I didn't get in.

UMDNJ-COM, PCOM, NYCOM. I can't believe they did this to this many people! How unprofessional!

both PCOM's, UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, VCOM, OSUCOM, and one other--KCUMB? I forget. These people took my money and have not bothered even to send an email. I could have bought a really nice digital camera with that money :(

Anyway, I got in somewhere and that's what counts :)

Thus far, here are the results that my calculations yield:

1 TUCOM-Mare Island
1 Touro-NY
1 VCOM
1 OSUCOM
1 KCUMB
2 KCOM
6 NYCOM, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM
11 UMDNJ-SOM
11 NYCOM
19 PCOM (PA and/or GA)

PCOM is the winner so far, followed by a tie between UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM, and then the trio of NYCOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM occurring together.

both PCOM's, UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, VCOM, OSUCOM, and one other--KCUMB? I forget. These people took my money and have not bothered even to send an email. I could have bought a really nice digital camera with that money :(

Anyway, I got in somewhere and that's what counts :)

That's so unlike KCUMB. They are usually one of the quicker responding schools. If you are still interested, call them and ask what's up; they have a very friendly and forthcoming admissions staff.

PCOM (since last year), NYCOM and Touro-NY

I have still not heard back from PCOM as well as PCOM-GA. But I don't care because I'm accepted to NYCOM!!!:clap: :bow: :banana: