Any schools where you can upgrade your degree for a fee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorTwo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Columbia, you can pay $600 to get a PhD if you have a DSW. No additional work is required. In fact, some graduates who never used their DSWs are now upgrading to the more popular PhD. Some, such as this man, list both degrees as if there were separate –

http://socialwork.columbia.edu/wp-content/uploads/mullen-cv.pdf

Is there any school that allows graduates to get a PhD if they have a PsyD without doing any additional work? I am writing an article about this. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

At Columbia, you can pay $600 to get a PhD if you have a DSW. No additional work is required. In fact, some graduates who never used their DSWs are now upgrading to the more popular PhD. Some, such as this man, list both degrees as if there were separate –

Is there any school that allows graduates to get a PhD if they have a PsyD without doing any additional work? I am writing an article about this. Thank you.
Wow, shameful... Applied doctorates are not the same as research doctorates, to pass them off as such in exchange for money is academic dishonesty of the highest sort.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, shameful... Applied doctorates are not the same as research doctorates, to pass them off as such in exchange for money is academic dishonesty of the highest sort.

Thank you for responding. Honestly, that's my sense, too. And to list the DSW and the PhD on a CV, as Prof. Mullen does, seems inappropriate (at best). That it is Columbia U. is a bit shocking. But I'm trying to find another program that has done this and I can't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Columbia U. Will Convert Your D.S.W. to a Ph.D. for $600 – Tweed - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education

It appears that they only do it for older degree holders, as prior to 1993, they did not offer a PhD, but the DSW was equivalent to one and subsequently changed titles in that year. To list both is disingenuous, as the PhD is a title change, not a second degree.

This is also the reason that you do not see other schools doing it, as it is merely a quirk of history in their particular institution.

This is also the reason that you do not see other schools doing it, as it is merely a quirk of history in their particular institution.
That's actually not accurate. Many schools of social work changed from a DSW to PhD. And the Columbia DSW was not research-intensive, according to the CSWE. In fact, they had fewer research and statistics requirements than other schools (and let students slide through without passing courses). Columbia is trying to bury this story which tells me we're on to something.

That's actually not accurate. Many schools of social work changed from a DSW to PhD. And the Columbia DSW was not research-intensive, according to the CSWE. In fact, they had fewer research and statistics requirements than other schools (and let students slide through without passing courses). Columbia is trying to bury this story which tells me we're on to something.
sauce?