Any shot at endo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jobayanks29

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I graduated about 8 years ago. I did a GPR and been in private practice since. I love doing root canals, can do without the rest. My school didn’t rank or give GPA, but my grades were just average, part 1 boards average at 81. I did do a certificate program in orofacial pain, not sure if that helps. Any chance I can get into endo this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

8 yrs... Yeah I'd say you have a shot!
Hey guys,

I graduated about 8 years ago. I did a GPR and been in private practice since. I love doing root canals, can do without the rest. My school didn’t rank or give GPA, but my grades were just average, part 1 boards average at 81. I did do a certificate program in orofacial pain, not sure if that helps. Any chance I can get into endo this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did do a certificate program in orofacial pain, not sure if that helps.
yes this should help. Your 8 years of experience will make you stand out as well. offset average grades? depends on that definition of average. You said a pass/fail school (apparently there's some controversy over how many schools are truly pass/fail and some have a rank that you don't know about?). That said you still have a GPA I assume? apply broadly- skip the texas schools (specifically san antonio) and washington if you have "average" grades. your personal statement and letters of recommendation are the most important part. once you get an interview the interview is the most important part. If you havent started your application process yet do that now. try to have an ex-program director or endo faculty member look over your personal statement if possible. its a good year to apply with zoom interviews probably being the norm again. rumors are application numbers to all specialties went up due to covid- i wonder if that trend is here to stay?

your statement of "i like doing root canals, can do without the rest" really resonates with me. exactly how I feel. you should absolutely apply. dont be discouraged if you don't get in or don't get many interviews the first time. many people have to apply 2-3x. the only way you dont get in is if you stop applying. networking is very important as well. best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
yes this should help. Your 8 years of experience will make you stand out as well. offset average grades? depends on that definition of average. You said a pass/fail school (apparently there's some controversy over how many schools are truly pass/fail and some have a rank that you don't know about?). That said you still have a GPA I assume? apply broadly- skip the texas schools (specifically san antonio) and washington if you have "average" grades. your personal statement and letters of recommendation are the most important part. once you get an interview the interview is the most important part. If you havent started your application process yet do that now. try to have an ex-program director or endo faculty member look over your personal statement if possible. its a good year to apply with zoom interviews probably being the norm again. rumors are application numbers to all specialties went up due to covid- i wonder if that trend is here to stay?

your statement of "i like doing root canals, can do without the rest" really resonates with me. exactly how I feel. you should absolutely apply. dont be discouraged if you don't get in or don't get many interviews the first time. many people have to apply 2-3x. the only way you dont get in is if you stop applying. networking is very important as well. best of luck.
every endo resident I know has some years of experience under their belt or at least a GPR.

I also agree the zoom interviews made things 10x easier, and also cheaper. You can just apply to a bunch of schools as well as you don't have to fly somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I heard it was super competitive last cycle. Will my GP experience offset average grades?

GP experience isn't a proxy for superior academic performance. Most of the people who interviewed last cycle had both GP experience and solid academic credentials. The most important factor if you don't have a great CV is your connections/networking/alumni status/letters of rec. So I would focus on that. Don't be afraid to contact programs directly. Joining the AAE and networking at the annual meeting can help as well.

Get a good score on the ADAT.

When I interviewed, a lot of us had 5+ years of experience. Some even had 10.
Remember, you're basically competing for half the slots based on gender (it's about a 50/50 split). Then they want a certain percentage to be new grads, and a certain percentage to have experience. Most endo programs want their students to have some experience, but there are many that want a mix of fresh grads with academic promise, and experienced dentists to help the new grads along the way.

That being said, I don't think they're going to differentiate much between 5 years and 8 years of experience and you'll be looked at as equally qualified experience-wise unless you've done something that really separates you from the pack. Maybe you have your MAGD and have completed a high-level continuum like Dawson, Kois, etc. that really sets you apart.

Remember, almost every program director is establishing his or her own legacy in the profession. One question that they may not ask, but they do want to be answered is what are you going to bring to the specialty that elevates their program's standing (and their legacy) as an alumnus?

Good luck!
You can't get in if you don't apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users