Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all. I've got my senior year of college to go, followed by a glide year. I'd like to go to an NYC based school but need to know two things;

(1) is it possible (can I become a decent applicant)?
(2) if it's possible, whats my path forward?

cGPA 3.65
MCAT 517
ORM, Single Parent Household, OOS (NJ Resident)
Research: None
Shadowing: 60hrs split between EM and Plastics
Non-Clinical Volunteer: None
Clinical Volunteer Experience: EMT at busy volunteer squad for about 3 years on and off
Paid Clinical Experience: EMT at non-emergent transport company for 2 years
EMT at university-based, 911 only ambulance
Other: Guest Commentator for school's newspaper (3 articles published)

Cumulative 6 years EMS experience at time of application

The schools I am talking about are...
-Cornell
-Icahn
-NYU
-Columbia
-Albert Einstein

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Be sure to apply to your public schools as well.
You are a good candidate for Einstein.
With no research, you are a modest candidate for the others.

Reactions: Goro
OP
Paramagnetic
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Be sure to apply to your public schools as well.
You are a good candidate for Einstein.
With no research, you are a modest candidate for the others.
Because I will be graduating soon, I doubt I'd be able to get experience as an RA or anything like that. Do you think that doing independent research (with a faculty mentor) over the next year/two on a public-health-esq topic is a reasonable path to take?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Because I will be graduating soon, I doubt I'd be able to get experience as an RA or anything like that. Do you think that doing independent research (with a faculty mentor) over the next year/two on a public-health-esq topic is a reasonable path to take?
The schools you have identified are interested in those who have contributed substantively to hypothesis-based investigation.
A lack of evidence of altruism will be a significant impediment at many schools, as well.
If you are not planning to apply for two years, you should check to see if your MCAT score will still be valid.
What is your state of residence?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
You really should be looking at Downstate as well

You are judged largely by what you have accomplished at the time of your app as you submit it. Top schools in particular get way too many apps that have solid research experience at the time they apply. Hence it is harder for them to concern themselves with those who will only pick up research in the gap year unless they are very compelling applicants otherwise. These are research powerhouses research is a major focus of what they look for. Einstein and Downstate are far less likely to look at research as a de facto requirement

Your stats are within the range Hofstra Downstate and Stony Brook target as well all of which are worth the app. Even as an NJ resident your within the range Stony Brook and Downstate target numerically but enhancing your ECs should be a priority

Last edited:
OP
Paramagnetic
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The schools you have identified are interested in those who have contributed substantively to hypothesis-based investigation.
A lack of evidence of altruism will be a significant impediment at many schools, as well.
If you are not planning to apply for two years, you should check to see if your MCAT score will still be valid.
Just edited my post to clarify my OOS status (NJ Resident)

Historically, personal finance has inhibited the extent of my altruism. However, due to a change in my financial situation, there are opportunities this year for me to fit some non-clinical volunteering into my schedule.

I will be applying June 2017 (after my senior year). My MCAT will be valid at the time of application.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the type of research I had in mind and what the schools are looking for.

OP
Paramagnetic
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You really should be looking at Downstate as well

You are judged largely by what you have accomplished at the time of your app as you submit it. Top schools in particular get way too many apps that have solid research experience at the time they apply. Hence it is harder for them to concern themselves with those who will only pick up research in the gap year unless they are very compelling applicants otherwise. These are research powerhouses research is a major focus of what they look for. Einstein and Downstate are far less likely to look at research as a de facto requirement

Your stats are within the range Hofstra Downstate and Stony Brook target as well all of which are worth the app. Even as an NJ resident your within the range Stony Brook and Downstate target numerically but enhancing your ECs should be a priority
I'm OOS so hadn't considered SUNY Downstate. As for Hofstra and Stony Brook, I'm more looking to see how competitive I am (or can become) for school in NYC. I'm a NJ resident, so my second choice would be schools based in my home state.

Why do you think Einstein is less likely than Icahn to consider research a 'de facto' requirement when, according to MSAR, they have the same percentage of matriculants with research?

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 2, 2016
Hi I was wondering how much research and service is generally considered sufficient for most schools?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Hi I was wondering how much research and service is generally considered sufficient for most schools?
I varies (a lot). Your top 4 value research a lot. Other very fine schools would like to see significant service at least as much.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 2, 2016
I varies (a lot). Your top 4 value research a lot. Other very fine schools would like to see significant service at least as much.
I am not OP! I will only have 6 months of research by the time I apply but closer to over a year of non medical service if I wanted to apply June 2017. Will I be at a disadvantage to top 40 and 50 schools? Do I have to delay my application another year because I don't have enough research/service?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I am not OP! I will only have 6 months of research by the time I apply but closer to over a year of non medical service if I wanted to apply June 2017. Will I be at a disadvantage to top 40 and 50 schools? Do I have to delay my application another year because I don't have enough research/service?
This is why you need your own thread!

Reactions: chemguy79