Any shot? Did horrible but may have redeemed myself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacobyellz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to a pretty decent state school for 6 years and goofed around and did terribly. Took basic science prereqs and gpa there was 2.8. Majored in finance but did not graduate. My Cgpa was 2.054 I kid you not.

About 2 years later, I transferred to University of Phoenix online( accredited believe it or now) and got my degree in finance. Gpa there was 3.3.

I rocked my LSAT, got into law school but hated it. Did well my first semester, but stopped going to class since I really hated it, which I wish I did not do, and I was kicked out.

There is a little bit of light at the end of this tunnel. I did my own postbacc at UNC with the basic science classes and got a 3.96. All As 1 A-. I took my mcat and got a 36. Do I seriously have a shot at a DO here. I'm willing to bet Md is out of tqhe question but I really don't want to go to the carib.

Members don't see this ad.

You are like me. Naturally talented but endlessly lazy. We are part of the reason why females are taking over higher education lolol. But in all honesty I think you will get into DO and should try for MD too if you got 3.96 in all your pre-reqs. But any professional school is not fun so if you didn't stick with law then who is to say you will stick with med school.

So I went to a pretty decent state school for 6 years and goofed around and did terribly. Took basic science prereqs and gpa there was 2.8. Majored in finance but did not graduate. My Cgpa was 2.054 I kid you not.

About 2 years later, I transferred to University of Phoenix online( accredited believe it or now) and got my degree in finance. Gpa there was 3.3.

I rocked my LSAT, got into law school but hated it. Did well my first semester, but stopped going to class since I really hated it, which I wish I did not do, and I was kicked out.

There is a little bit of light at the end of this tunnel. I did my own postbacc at UNC with the basic science classes and got a 3.96. All As 1 A-. I took my mcat and got a 36. Do I seriously have a shot at a DO here. I'm willing to bet Md is out of tqhe question but I really don't want to go to the carib.

This should be in the premed forum but I think if you have that hard of a turn around, you should have a shot if you apply really broadly and are ready to explain yourself well in your interview. The dismissal from law school will be difficult to explain....Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should also apply to state MD schools, just in case.

I agree that it will be hard to explain your past, though. The hardest part will be the changing from one career to the next over a short period of time. I think the admins are used to seeing people who turned around their academics and improved their GPA, so I honestly don't think that will be as much trouble to explain.

Make sure you use your personal statement to really show why you want to go to medical school and how you know that *this* career is the one for you. Your MCAT and high pre-req sciences will help, because it shows that you had dedication to the field enough to work hard.

Good luck!

You definitely have a shot at DO - state MD schools might be a stretch. Are you absolutely sure you want to be a doctor? You'll want a strong personal statement and a polished but genuine spiel to that effect.

The dismissal from law school will be difficult to explain....Good luck!

Yeah that might be one that raises a flag...

Like Duxbury said, make sure you WANT to be a doctor. Also there really isn't telling how adcoms will take the law school dismissal. But the MCAT went well and you seem to have worked at your post-bacc. Like others said, apply broadly and as early as possible in the cycle.

Best of luck.

Look, your grades are not a problem. The turnaround is great and the MCAT is awesome, especially for DO school. DO schools really do take upward trends and turnarounds into account (boy am I an example of that). You pulled a 3.96 and got a 36 MCAT, awesome job (damn the teacher who gave you the A-).

I think your biggest issue is going to be explaining why you were dismissed and why they should believe you when you say "yes, this is what I want to do for the rest of my life." Emphasize that these recent grades are the reflection of who you are. Hell, use your poor grades and dismissal contrasted with your badass postbac and MCAT to prove just how much you want to follow this career path. You "saw the light" and went balls to the wall, ya know? THAT is how they can know you're serious.

Most people have something on their resume that is a hurdle. For some people it's a GPA, for some it's an MCAT, for you it's being dismissed from law school. They'll want to know why they shouldn't be worried about it. So that's where personal statement, LOR and interview come in. With that said, barely anyone can afford two "hurdles" on their resume so make sure the rest of your application is as rock solid as possible with volunteering, great letters, stellar personal statement and a ridiculous interview.

Basically, all you can do at this point is take those things that you can still control and make them as awesome as possible.

OP, it's hard to recover from a professional school dismissal on top of an extremely poor undergrad performance. However, I give you props on the post-bacc and MCAT score. No one can tell you if you have a chance or not you can only find out when you actually apply. My bet would be at this point MD might be out of the question since AMCAS has a harsher grading policy than AACOMAS for DO schools and also high competition. You could apply to DO schools but I promise you that your commitment will be questioned. Your best bet in redeeming yourself at this point is to pour your heart and soul into clinical volunteering and shadowing. Show medical schools that you have an extensive understanding of medicine and the profession of a physician. You could possibly explain to them that you realized medicine is the right way. Even then though I feel that some medical schools will fear that your "laziness" might become a serious issue. Clearly you're an intelligent guy, it seems like you do very well when you actually put in the work. In the end how can you assure medical schools that you will actually give medicine your all?

Thank you for all the great responses. If DOs are not willing to look past my dismissal, do I have a chance at the Carib big 3? How about podiatry, dental, physical therapy etc.

Thank you for all the great responses. If DOs are not willing to look past my dismissal, do I have a chance at the Carib big 3? How about podiatry, dental, physical therapy etc.

You will get into the Carib big 3 very easily but I have a feeling DO schools will give you a chance

I think it's possible that you get a shot at a D.O. school, but the truth is that you'll have a hard time convincing anyone to let you in after the atrocious act of dropping a semester after law school and getting dismissed. Personally, even with your wonderful scores, I wouldn't touch you. You're too volatile, uncommitted, and lazy. It's a shame because you seem like wasted potential; I say this on the MCAT alone because there's nothing impressive of a 4.0 post-bacc that's pretty much just all retakes.

Podiatry and the Caribbean should be easy to get into. Unfortunately, dental and physical therapy is so impacted that they have the luxury of taking in people that show real commitment.

Also, to add to my last post, I don't see any EC, so that will definitely sink the application if it doesn't exist.

Without knowing the number of college, on-line, and postbac hours you did, or whether you retook any classes, we can't approximate what your application GPAs per AACOMAS will be. Maybe you could figure it out so more focused advice can be given. If you retook a class for the same credits or greater, only include the most recent retake grade:

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

I think it's possible that you get a shot at a D.O. school, but the truth is that you'll have a hard time convincing anyone to let you in after the atrocious act of dropping a semester after law school and getting dismissed. Personally, even with your wonderful scores, I wouldn't touch you. You're too volatile, uncommitted, and lazy. It's a shame because you seem like wasted potential; I say this on the MCAT alone because there's nothing impressive of a 4.0 post-bacc that's pretty much just all retakes.

I don't think quitting law school is as a serious set back as this post makes it out to be. Just say you saw it wasn't for you and you saw it's really not what you thought it would be. Doesn't make sense to spend 2.5 more years of tuition and time on something you don't want to do.

I don't think quitting law school is as a serious set back as this post makes it out to be. Just say you saw it wasn't for you and you saw it's really not what you thought it would be. Doesn't make sense to spend 2.5 more years of tuition and time on something you don't want to do.

I agree here, except for the fact that he didn't withdraw, he stopped going and was kicked out.

If the OP actually quit law school, and was not expelled, that would be true. The question is, was leaving law school a voluntary choice that did NOT involve an institutional action, or was there an official institutional action that resulted in his expulsion? An IA is a major red flag on the application.

You're a shoo-in at any DO school. I have many students with a history like yours, and they'e doing fine.