any shot next year after turning down interviews this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered interviews at two schools but have been thinking and have realized I need one more year to get some things in order in my life before I start med school.
So, do you think it will be possible to get another interview next year at the same schools?
Will they grill me about my reasons for post-poning a year?
Should I write a formal letter explaining my circumstances?
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

RNtoDO said:
I have been offered interviews at two schools but have been thinking and have realized I need one more year to get some things in order in my life before I start med school.
So, do you think it will be possible to get another interview next year at the same schools?
thanx

You could go through with the interview, and if accepted, talk to them about deferring for a year.

that is a good idea ... deferal... would mean you don't have to apply all over again. Except at Midwestern... they say you do have to re-apply.. which is crap.

I dought they would hold that against you. Also, I would be surprised if they recognize your name and file... unless the reviewers are the same and have an excellent memory and that your file stands out because you saved 200 lives.

If there is one you REALLY WANT... than You can definitely write them a formal letter explaining that you are interested and have not changed your mind.. but because of person reasons you would like to start in Sept.2006. Send it to the admission director... the dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
You could go through with the interview, and if accepted, talk to them about deferring for a year.

I agree. I think you should try to defer rather than pass out this opportunity. Save you money and stress next year.

Hi RNtoDO,
I think you should go to your interviews and if accepted, ask for deferrals... I was accepted to an allopathic school 2 years ago, decided not to go because of the location and didn't ask for a deferral.. Ugh... Two years later, I KICK myself :( for 1)not going 2)not asking for a deferral and here I am in the reapplication boat...

In a nutshell, if I were in your shoes, I 'd go to the interviews...Good luck!

Interview now and defer entrance for a year.

RNtoDO said:
thanx

If I was on the admissions committee of the school, I would not interview you the following year if you were to reapply, since you declined the interview.

It is very easy to defer your acceptance for a year, and a couple of my classmates did this.

So once again, go to your interviews. You never know---you might change your mind later on anyway.

go thru interview for sure...pay your acceptance deposit and everything...send them the final transcripts..and make your acceptance finalized instead of a conditional one...then you can ask for an option to defer it for a year. They pretty much want to see that you finished everything that you told them to and you're not lacking academic performance........and that's its purely due to personal reasons or academic ambition (double-major/master/etc)...

Double check me on the info though..always call the school..that's your best bet.