Any Social Workers here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEM04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay long story short..... I'm currently in my last 2 years of my bachelor's degree in psychology . I first considered getting my Phd or Psy D in counseling but I decided it wasn't for me since I have no interest in research and it takes too long to complete. So I was considering maybe becoming a Licensed Mental Health Counselor but after so many people told me that LMHC have problems with jobs and don't really earn much ( at least in NY) I started doubting it. That's when i came across social work , It's something very interesting to me that I would like to go into. My question is to everyone that is a social worker or did their masters in social work , Is it a good career? Is it that hard to find jobs? How's the salary ? What is the average salary , I saw on a website it was 50-60k starting in NY , Is that true for any new yorkers here ? but I read in other forums that pay is horrible, I'm not trying to get rich off the job I'm fine living off 50k a year , I just want to do something I like but that allows me to live comfortable.

P.S. I'm sorry my post is so long . I'm sure so many of you probably think im getting ahead of myself but I want to start researching Social Work MA programs now and try to gain some experience through volunteering & try my best to meet the requirements to be accepted in a MA in Social Work. I would GREATLY appreciate any help, I'm so confused on what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

The market is mixed. With an MSW (and the addition of the LICSW) you can find a job easily but it probably won't be high-paying.

In states that license Bachelor's-level social workers, what has happened in the past five or six years is that agencies have started hiring Master's-level social workers for Bachelor's level jobs because the market is so bad. They can pay them BSW-level wages and get MSW-level work (in theory at least).

I have a friend with her MSW who works full time and earns $12 per hour. I am working on my MSW but I have only my Bachelor's currently and earn less than that, though part of my work is volunteer (unpaid) by design. We both love our jobs.

By the way, what schools have an MA in Social Work? I've never heard of that degree.

I got an MHC master's and live in ny. I got great clinical training at my program, but it is still a new degree in NY and doesn't yet have the recognition or professional identity it needs. That said, many of my classmates have jobs and are doing what they love. What you make in social work is very dependent on what area of social work you are going into. Expect starting salary in nyc somewhere between $36k-45k. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're lucky that you're in New York. Salaries for social workers tend to be high, and it's also home to several good programs. (Okay, so we also have terrible weather and a high cost of living, but still.)

What I've heard from social work graduates is that it's easy to get a job with an M.S.W. but the pay is all over the place. My partner's aunt is mid-career, went to NYU, works at a school in Long Island, makes about 90k, and works only when school is in session. This is a best-best-best case scenario. Others make much less and have much more stressful jobs. If you're going the clinical route, you'll tend to make more in New York because mental health social workers are in demand. Government and school salaries are generally higher. Nonprofits pay less.

Do you know of any programs in particular that you're interested in? I'm at Hunter and have Fordham and NYU friends, so I could probably answer some of your questions.

First of all thank you to all you guys for taking the time to comment on my post. I'm very interested in the social work programs in Hunter and Lehman since their tuition isn't high meaning little debt in student loans! I really want to do social work like in a hospital or clinic setting but I've honestly have gotten terrified hearing how people can make as low at in the 20s with a master's.

First of all thank you to all you guys for taking the time to comment on my post. I'm very interested in the social work programs in Hunter and Lehman since their tuition isn't high meaning little debt in student loans! I really want to do social work like in a hospital or clinic setting but I've honestly have gotten terrified hearing how people can make as low at in the 20s with a master's.

Medical social work is one of the highest-earning specializations, so you've already picked a winner within the field, at least. Re: earnings, make sure you're looking at estimates for people with master's degrees -- a lot of the estimates lump us together with B.S.W. grads. I wouldn't expect to earn in the twenties -- that's on the extreme low side -- but salaries do vary widely for beginners.

I'm clearly biased here, but if you can get into Hunter, go to Hunter. It's a highly-ranked program and a known quantity among East Coast employers. Google around this forum and you'll find a lot of info about Hunter and other NYC schools.

Medical social work is one of the highest-earning specializations, so you've already picked a winner within the field, at least. Re: earnings, make sure you're looking at estimates for people with master's degrees -- a lot of the estimates lump us together with B.S.W. grads. I wouldn't expect to earn in the twenties -- that's on the extreme low side -- but salaries do vary widely for beginners.

I'm clearly biased here, but if you can get into Hunter, go to Hunter. It's a highly-ranked program and a known quantity among East Coast employers. Google around this forum and you'll find a lot of info about Hunter and other NYC schools.
Well I'm glad I'm picking a winner with Medical Social Work. I've heard a lot about how good the program in Hunter is. I've researched around this forum and many other and everyone seems to agree its a great program. Do you know what are the general requirements to get in ? I read there GPA requirement is something like 3.0.

What is the medical social worker program like? Does it overlap with the clinical program any?

I ask because my school has a clinical program which incorporates some classes on medical issues (such as oncology and hospital administration). I've wondered about the distinction.

What is the medical social worker program like? Does it overlap with the clinical program any?

I ask because my school has a clinical program which incorporates some classes on medical issues (such as oncology and hospital administration). I've wondered about the distinction.

Hunter doesn't have a specific medical social work track. It has a clinical practice track with several sub-specialties, including "Health and Mental Health." Students specialize within this track by taking health-specific electives, doing hospital fieldwork, and performing health-related capstone projects.

To answer LEM04's question, there's no specific GPA minimum, I think, but if you have a GPA below 3.0, you should be prepared to show that you're academically qualified in other ways and that you have significant work/volunteer experience. Here's the admissions site: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/socwork/prospective-students/requirements-admission.html

Last edited:
I agree, the pay is all over the place for social workers. Prison social workers and medical social workers usually start in the low 60's for new MSW's. For contract mental health agencies, you can expect to have lower salaries, starting around 40k a year. For county or state agencies, it's 10 to 20k more per year for MSW's doing the same job.

My friends who work for CPS and who went back for their MSW's get their salaries bumped to the sixties and seventies, depending on where they were before they were promoted. New MSW's to CPS can expect something in the fifties to low sixties.

Another option is to get your license and become a program director at a clinic or social wok dept. at a hospital. A friend works as the lead social worker with Kaiser and he makes over 100k a year. LCSW's who are program directors make around 80k a year or more.

If you have the option, apply for CALSWEC funding (or something similar if you're in a different state) for funding your MSW. You will be obligated to work for CPS or a county mental health agency for two years after graduation. However, you'll have a job and no to little debt after graduation. Try to steer away from expensive MSW programs because we don't make enough to justify 80 to 100k in students loans for an MSW, unlike clinical psychologists with PsyD's and PhD's. A reasonably priced (20 to 30k) MSW from a state school is as good as a degree from Hunter, USC, Catholic University, or other high-priced schools.

A reasonably priced (20 to 30k) MSW from a state school is as good as a degree from Hunter, USC, Catholic University, or other high-priced schools.

Hunter's a state school (yay for this), and tuition is very reasonable -- I'm paying about $11,000 per year.

I agree, the pay is all over the place for social workers. Prison social workers and medical social workers usually start in the low 60's for new MSW's. For contract mental health agencies, you can expect to have lower salaries, starting around 40k a year. For county or state agencies, it's 10 to 20k more per year for MSW's doing the same job.

My friends who work for CPS and who went back for their MSW's get their salaries bumped to the sixties and seventies, depending on where they were before they were promoted. New MSW's to CPS can expect something in the fifties to low sixties.

Another option is to get your license and become a program director at a clinic or social wok dept. at a hospital. A friend works as the lead social worker with Kaiser and he makes over 100k a year. LCSW's who are program directors make around 80k a year or more.

If you have the option, apply for CALSWEC funding (or something similar if you're in a different state) for funding your MSW. You will be obligated to work for CPS or a county mental health agency for two years after graduation. However, you'll have a job and no to little debt after graduation. Try to steer away from expensive MSW programs because we don't make enough to justify 80 to 100k in students loans for an MSW, unlike clinical psychologists with PsyD's and PhD's. A reasonably priced (20 to 30k) MSW from a state school is as good as a degree from Hunter, USC, Catholic University, or other high-priced schools.
Thank you so much ! I will definitely look into that program and as Qwerk stated Hunter is a state college for me so loan will be less than 30000 with 11000 tuition a year.

Hunter's a state school (yay for this), and tuition is very reasonable -- I'm paying about $11,000 per year.
Is the program competitive and challenging? Do you really get enough experience out int he field ?

Hunter doesn't have a specific medical social work track. It has a clinical practice track with several sub-specialties, including "Health and Mental Health." Students specialize within this track by taking health-specific electives, doing hospital fieldwork, and performing health-related capstone projects.

To answer LEM04's question, there's no specific GPA minimum, I think, but if you have a GPA below 3.0, you should be prepared to show that you're academically qualified in other ways and that you have significant work/volunteer experience. Here's the admissions site: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/socwork/prospective-students/requirements-admission.html
I've been good with maintaining my GPA above 3.0 for my first 2 undergrad years, I will try my best to keep it that way for my last year to help me get into a good program like Hunter.

Is the program competitive and challenging? Do you really get enough experience out int he field ?

Admissions are competitive, yes. Hunter is the most selective program in NYC, and if I remember correctly, #7 in selectivity nationwide.

I've found my field experience challenging and enjoyable. You won't get much choice in your first-year field placement, although several of my classmates were allowed to switch their sites early in the first semester because they wanted to do something different. You'll have more choice in your second-year practicum, so if you want to do hospital social work, this is where you'll get that experience. One great thing about going to school in a large city is that whatever kind of social work you want to do, and whatever population you want to work with, there are plenty of agencies, hospitals, and clinics available for your practicum.

Admissions are competitive, yes. Hunter is the most selective program in NYC, and if I remember correctly, #7 in selectivity nationwide.

I've found my field experience challenging and enjoyable. You won't get much choice in your first-year field placement, although several of my classmates were allowed to switch their sites early in the first semester because they wanted to do something different. You'll have more choice in your second-year practicum, so if you want to do hospital social work, this is where you'll get that experience. One great thing about going to school in a large city is that whatever kind of social work you want to do, and whatever population you want to work with, there are plenty of agencies, hospitals, and clinics available for your practicum.
I'm glad to hear that! I was just panicking a bit thinking I might be getting in a field where it would be pretty hard for me to get a job. Would you mind me asking , What was your GPA when you got accepted into the program?

Though I didn't go there (or get an MSW), I second Qwerk's recommendation of Hunter. It has a solid reputation. NYU is known for a great clinically focused program, but it comes with a steep price tag. Given the current job market I'd definitely go with the lower debt route. I'm not staying true to the MHC degree I am proud of having, but this is the reality of the current market in NY.

I used to volunteer doing clerical work at a Neurology Department of a hospital New York Presbyterian. Now I'm trying to volunteer at their program for women that have been abused in many ways and are in crisis. Would this experience help me in anyway when it comes to getting into a good MSW program?

Last edited:
I used to volunteer doing clerical work at a Neurology Department of a hospital New York Presbyterian. Now I'm trying to volunteer at their program for women that have been abused in many ways and are in crisis. Would this experience help me in anyway when it comes to getting into a good MSW program?

This seems like relevant experience to me, especially paired with a glowing LOR.

Hi, I'm planning to apply to Hunter and Fordham for Fall 2013 and it would be great if I could ask you some questions.

My impression is that Columbia, NYU, Hunter and Fordham all have great programs, so it comes down to affordability for me. My top choice is Hunter, both for quality and price. Would you mind talking a little bit about what your experience of Hunter has been financially, and your friends' experience at Fordham? Do people generally feel that they're taking on an amount of debt that they can handle?

My story: I'm a career changer and my background is in nonprofit arts administration, so I'm volunteering at the RAINN online hotline to get some counseling experience before applying. My interest is clinical. My undergraduate transcripts are pretty good, although unrelated to social work or psychology. I think my GPA was 3.8.

ETA: sorry, meant to reply to Qwerk. First post, still learning.