Any South Carolina SDNers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any SC people shed some light on how the application process is moving at USC or MUSC?
just curious,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I'm down here in charleston, south cackalacky. I just had my outside MUSC interview today, and it went super! Are you in Columbia?

I live in Newberry now...about 40 miles north west of Cola. but i lived in columbia most of my life.
I spent a summer at MUSC for an undergrad research fellowship. i really enjoyed it, but hated the tourists and heat. sweating to go get my paper in the morning is not my idea of fun.
I just submitted my AMCAS and feel way behind. wondering how fast things were moving at the schools.
Glad to hear your interview went well, is MUSC your first choice?
did you even apply to USC?

Good to know that not too many SDNers are our competition!
:laugh:
send me a PM if you want more info
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
musc is not my first choice. i am applying md/phd to musc and 16 other schools. i am a post-bacc in a research lab on campus. i feel that applied mostly to musc for political reasons. i am tired of the heat, tourons (tourists/*****s), and bugs the size of my chihuahua. the app process is slooooow here. don't stress. all my friends who go here got interviewed in jan. you are :cool: .

isid

I am a South Cackaclackian, I am surprise to hear that there are people on SDN that live in South Carolina. It seems like everyone on here is from Cali. Anyways I am a junior so my turn for the application process is coming up soon.

where you from, raptor?
learn from those of us going through this horrible experience...it's just no fun!!!
luckily, SC is not as competitive as Cali. I'm still torn between MUSC and USC though. i'd rather go out of state, but that's not looking good. so anyway....i'm tired and rambling

streetdoc

I'm also from the sunny state of South Carolina (Myrtle Beach), although I chose to go to med school out of state. If I can remember last year correctly it seemed that MUSC takes longer to make a decision. USC notifies you within a few weeks.

well good luck.

Hey guys I'm in SC, too! I got a late start, took the August MCAT and submitted my app shortly thereafter. I received my secondary from MUSC immediately after submitting my application, but I still haven't heard anything from USC. Have you guys received a secondary from them yet? Do they wait for MCAT scores before sending them out??

where did you go to med scool, rotatores?
streetdoc

isn't the MUSC secondary online? i think somebody told me that.
i submitted to AMcas only a little while ago, so nothing yet.
streetdoc

Isidella,
I went to that site and it looked like it was only for the Graduate, Pharm, Nursing, and something else colleges. It said that Dental Med and Medicine would be sent an abbreviated form to fill out. Did i not go to the right sight?
:confused:
Just checking...
thanks,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello South Carolinians-
I am from Charleston (but currently live in San Francisco). I interviewed at USC yesterday and it went ok. I also have an interview tomorrow at MUSC so i'm pretty excited for that. To answer some of your questions, both MUSC and USC got back to me pretty quick in regards to interviews...probably a week after i handed in the secondaries (USC sends you theirs and MUSC is online). Both schools are also good with working with you to get yoiur interviews close to one another as well. I had to fly back from CA to interview and both schools were very accomodating although MUSC only interviews on Fridays and USC only interviews on Wednesdays. If anyone wants to know anything about the interview process or any of the SC schools, feel free to IM me at dukeblue02. Best of luck to all!

Hey surdvl02:

Good luck with your interviews!! I just wanted to ask a few questions.

Did you apply as an instate resident and would you mind posting your stats? Sorry, I hate to be nosy, but I really love MUSC and I am hoping to get in there myself. Charleston is so beautiful and I love the campus and facilities. I'm still waiting for my August MCAT scores and I have submitted my secondary. Also, do you have any interview tips, any unusual questions that were asked?

Once again, good luck and I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Im a SC applicant. Right now im on the MUSC waitlist and hoping to get my hands on any news about this years applicants who got accepted and declined at MUSC. Very sparse SDN representation from SC.. I agree.

I was accepted and declined about two weeks ago. I don't imagine that tells you anything, but I thought I'd let you know.
-Ross

Anyone know the stats for USC and MUSC? I believe USC is around 3.49 but I have never been able to find anything related to MUSC.

Just wondering if I should waste the money applying to my state schools. I have ~ 3.4 cumulative/3.2-3.3 science GPA.

Any news on the USC wait list status? I know interviews went until the end of March, so I'm curious to see when something might happen for peple like me who have been put on hold.

Originally posted by DW3843
Any news on the USC wait list status? I know interviews went until the end of March, so I'm curious to see when something might happen for peple like me who have been put on hold.

Check back with Ms. Mills in May. That's when people holding a position will lose their $100 deposit if they choose not to matriculate.

Just offering my services...i'm at USC SOM and applied to musc, and usc. i know there are only a few of us south carolinians, so let me know if i can asnwer any questions.
i do believe the GPA for USC is around 3.5 and maybe a 26, 27 MCAT. don't be shy about aplying...you never know!

streetdoc

It's cool to see some other South Carolinians on SDN!

I am currently on the waiting list at South Carolina (my top choice). They interviewed through the end of March. I wonder how many acceptances they have already offered? I know that all schools had to offer at least as many acceptances as they have seats by March 15 (for SC, it would be 60-65).

Based on data from a couple of years ago, SC offered approximately 130 acceptances to achieve an enrollment of roughly 65 (I don't remember the exact numbers, but matriculants were roughly half of the number of acceptances offered). Does anyone know how many students are usually accepted off of the waiting list at SC?

As far as MUSC goes, I was rejected there pre-interview. I was a bit surprised by that, because MUSC accepts twice as many students as SC does, and MUSC's numbers are slightly lower. Further proof that this whole process is unpredictable.

JKDMed, I think you should definitely apply to both SC and MUSC. Being a South Carolina resident, you would be foolish not to.

clemson doc,
usc accepts about 80 people into the class. i believe there will be 5 or so people from the class of 2007 that will be back in the class of 2008. so that leave 75 spaces for newcomers. last year the list moved a good bit. lots of people hold multiple acceptances and then som e will get off waitlists of a school that would rather go to. so hold out hope...at least til july.

as far as musc, i always thought they had higher numbers and were more "numbers oriented" in their applicants. maybe not, but i feel personally that usc cares more about what kind of physician you will become and not "what are your stats" than musc...but then again, i am biased.

best of luck to you, it's a great place to be.

btw, when did you interview?

streetdoc

I was told by a pharmD friend of mine that MUSC is very political in their process from his conversations with MUSc students. I guess this could be said about any school.

Hopefully the professors I met during my day at USCSOM will remember me if and when I get an interview :D

Hello all... I saw this thread and had to throw my 2cents in...

If you are SC residents and have good credentials you are in excellent shape to get in. Between USC and MUSC there are ~200 spots, compare that to the 300-400 qualified applicants TOTAL (just those who are SC residents), you have a great shot.

I applied to both school and ended up at USC, I was initially disappointed that I wasn't in Charleston; but I think I had a better experience in Columbia. The campus is much easier to get around. Parking is easy, living is cheap. You have all of the advantages of a small Medical College--- the staff and faculty know you really well; but the benefits of a big state school (especially football games). I also think the students at USC are little more laid back and much less prone to gunning.

Good luck.

So, how many Clemson Tigers are on here?

Im a Tiger. Right now Im on the MUSC waiting list. SO if anyone happens to read this and declined their acceptence to MUSC OR if anyone gets pulled from the list please take 2 minutes to reply to this and let me know... A small price to give someone a small peace of mind. ;-)

By the way this SC thread is great! I can't believe it's been kept alive for so long. Keep it coming! :thumbup:

Thanks for clarifying the number of enrolled students at USC, streetdoc. When I mentioned those numbers from a few years ago, I should have noted that they included in-state applicants only. Out-of-staters usually make up 8-10 students each year from what I've seen. It is also great to hear that there is a good bit of waiting list movement at USC!!

As far as the numbers go, the most recent stats I've seen are from 1999-2000 in a Barron's guide to medical schools. They had the average GPA of USC matriculants at 3.6 (with no MCAT average given), and MUSC matriculants at 3.49/27 MCAT. Perhaps the averages have changed slightly since then.

I was very unimpressed in my dealings with MUSC. Hopefully I am the exception and not the rule, but I had to essentially call to receive my rejection letter from them after hearing nothing for months. On the opposite end of the spectrum, USC kept me informed via snail mail about my application (e.g., "we have received your secondary application and recommendation letters, but we are still waiting on your letter from the physician you shadowed"). That went a long way with me.

By the way, I too am a Clemson alum. Class of 2000.

i was wondering if any of you guys knows about research at musc, specifically how accessible it is and when to do it during med school if not an md/phd.

thanks

Has anybody heard anything new on the waitlist situation for USC. I got put on hold after interviewing in the beginning of March. I called the admissions office earlier this month, and they said that they would be meeting to discuss more acceptance offers, waitlist status, and who is getting those nice rejection letters. I haven't heard anything yet but was wondering if anybody else out there is in the same position.

I'm an out-of-state applicant at USC and interviewed in mid-March, but got put on hold. Anybody else familiar with the situation there for out-of-state people, and when we can expect to hear something?

I just got an acceptance letter from USC in the mail dated April 21st. It looks like I might be headed to Columbia

Congrats DW3843!! :thumbup: Out of curiosity did you apply to MUSC as well? Im hoping quite a few people will get accepted to both and attend USC.

Anyone know anybody who has been accepted to both MUSC and USC and chose USC? Thanks

congrats, DW! i hope you choose to attend USC. if you want any info, send me a PM. enjoy your FREEDOM!

stillwater, i got in to both (as well as others) and chose USC, best choice i ever made!

streetdoc
USC SOM - M1 (and almost done!!) :D

What kind of stats are needed for out-of-state applicants to USC and MUSC (I am especially curious about USC in particular)? Any strict MCAT/GPA cut-offs?

I am from SC. I am an older student working on pre-reqs, and a little ways away from applying, but USC, and MUSC are going to be my top choices. :cool:

Fusion said:
What kind of stats are needed for out-of-state applicants to USC and MUSC (I am especially curious about USC in particular)? Any strict MCAT/GPA cut-offs?

I am out of state (NC resident) and got an interview at USC but didn't get one at MUSC -- I'm currently on the waitlist at USC. I know USC doesn't interview many out of state people, I think its only like 50 out of 650 applicants. My GPA is 3.9 and MCAT is 30.

still interested, PM me!

jhrugger said:
i was wondering if any of you guys knows about research at musc, specifically how accessible it is and when to do it during med school if not an md/phd.

thanks

That is interesting that someone received an acceptance letter from USC dated April 21 (congratulations!). I received a letter from USC dated April 22 saying that I am on the alternate list. I have been wondering if anyone else received an acceptance or rejection at that time. Can anyone comment on whether USC also sent out rejection letters recently?

I still anticipate a good bit of waitlist movement at USC with the May 15 date still ahead of us (when students will have to decide on one school and let go of their other acceptances). Has anyone called the Admissions office to see where they rank on the alternate list?

I received a letter from USC on April 23 that said I have been placed on the waitlist. I know 3 others that got letters that day-one was accepted, one was rejected, and one other was waitlisted. That's really all I know at this point, but keep me updated if you find out any info on waitlist movement!

I applied to both MUSC and USC but only got accepted to USC.

I called the admissions office in early April to ask about the status of my application and the process in general (I was essentially put on hold after interviewing in the beginning of March). At that time, the person I talked to said the committee would be meeting in the next week or two, and they would be offering acceptances to a few more people and then deciding on waitlisting or rejecting the rest. I also sent a letter a few days later outlining my reasons for choosing the school, what I liked about it, and how I would fit in well at USC. I don't know how much that helped, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

Good luck to those on the waitlist. From what I have heard there should still be some movement there.

Hello-I am on the waiting list at USC.

Do you think it would be advisable for me to send a letter of intent? I want to do whatever I can to get off of the waiting list there and get accepted!!! Any advice you can offer would be great!!!

Good luck, everyone. I'm not in SC anymore, but glad to see so many of us on SDN. Can't speak for MUSC, b/c I didn't go to my interview there, but I was SO impressed with USC when I interviewed last year. You realize when you move out of Cola that, for a town its size, it really has a lot going for it. :)

I didn't write USC, but MUSC told me that having close ties to the state with a 3.75 and a 32 would practically assure you of an interview. If you didn't have those stats, it was a bit more dicey. I just threw out the 32 with my gpa, as I don't know what I scored on the MCAT.

MUSC is supposedly more numbers driven than most, so don't take my advice as gospel truth for USC.

Good luck.

I received my acceptance letter to USC last Thursday 4/22. I have heard from current students that there is usually a good deal of movement on the waiting list. Good luck.