Any southeast asian pre-meds (Lao, thai, cambodian, etc.)

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

noy12

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know everyone's probably bored with all the "race" threads, but I am curious to see how many southeast asians pre-meds there are. I live in Cali and don't know very many. Anyway, just wondering . . .:)

About the Ads

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
I know everyone's probably bored with all the "race" threads, but I am curious to see how many southeast asians pre-meds there are. I live in Cali and don't know very many. Anyway, just wondering . . .:)

You obviously don't know many people.

Last edited:

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status (Visible)
Asian is a big F...ing umbrella of countries in the far east to include chinese, laos, cambodian, vietnamese, japan, thai. my point is to you ignorant people. Asian if you don't already know is not a language. Most docs of asian heritage are chineses and vietnamese. Cambodian, Laos and thai etc, docs combines probably dosen't equal to chinese docs. That being said, chineses and viets are not URM in medicine however, cambodians, laos, etc are. It's very unfair to treat these minority asians as non URM when in actuality they are. Whoever thinks that blacks, hispanic and native american are the only URM are fuc... ignorant, *****s!

NotAndrew

Loves Jesus, America Too
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Asian is a big F...ing umbrella of countries in the far east to include chinese, laos, cambodian, vietnamese, japan, thai. my point is to you ignorant people. Asian if you don't already know is not a language. Most docs of asian heritage are chineses and vietnamese. Cambodian, Laos and thai etc, docs combines probably dosen't equal to chinese docs. That being said, chineses and viets are not URM in medicine however, cambodians, laos, etc are. It's very unfair to treat these minority asians as non URM when in actuality they are. Whoever thinks that blacks, hispanic and native american are the only URM are fuc... ignorant, *****s!

What is the percentage of Cambodians and Laotians in America?

Also your argument can be adopted for any group that is not URM.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

:D

You ressurected an old thread to call white people ignorant/racist and to call people from china chineses.

edit- 1:21AM, huh? Drink much?

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status (Visible)
:D

You ressurected an old thread to call white people ignorant/racist and to call people from china chineses.

edit- 1:21AM, huh? Drink much?

Oh no, I had never said white people are ignorant. I'm speaking to anyone who thinks that thai, laos, cambodians are not URM when they are. that's all. I'm not racist, I just like equality. Thank you kindly.

VneZonyDostupa

PGY-6 (ID Fellow)
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Oh no, I had never said white people are ignorant. I'm speaking to anyone who thinks that thai, laos, cambodians are not URM when they are. that's all. I'm not racist, I just like equality. Thank you kindly.

You never answered the above question.

1) What is the percentage of Southeast Asians in the US population?

2) What is the percentage of Southeast Asian doctors in the US?

3) Are the percentages significantly different?

Hint: If your answer to number 3 is no, then you don't qualify as a URM. See you answers to numbers 1 and 2 for the explanation.

About the Ads

unsung

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Hint: If your answer to number 3 is no, then you don't qualify as a URM. See you answers to numbers 1 and 2 for the explanation.

What's with the attitude, man? I know of programs out there specifically designed to help Hmong premeds in undergrad. Afaik, there aren't equivalent programs for Chinese premeds. Chinese/Indians are way over-represented in medicine. The same cannot be said of Hmong, etc. I totally get the OP's point.

VneZonyDostupa

PGY-6 (ID Fellow)
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
What's with the attitude, man? I know of programs out there specifically designed to help Hmong premeds in undergrad. Afaik, there aren't equivalent programs for Chinese premeds. Chinese/Indians are way over-represented in medicine. The same cannot be said of Hmong, etc. I totally get the OP's point.

Helping a group in premed =/= URM status for medical school. I have no problem with groups getting help in undergrad, especially if it is among that group, but when you start whining and moaning about wanting baseless extra credit for medical admissions, it annoys me.

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status (Visible)

I don't see teh relevance in your questions. The fact is unless you are either thai, laos, hmong, cambodians, you will not understand that they are in fact underrepresented in medicine, despite that the fact they are asian. Chinese,vietnamese, etc represent the bulk of asians who are doctors. that is all im trying to say. if you think otherwise you are ignorant.

VneZonyDostupa

PGY-6 (ID Fellow)
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I don't see teh relevance in your questions. The fact is unless you are either thai, laos, hmong, cambodians, you will not understand that they are in fact underrepresented in medicine, despite that the fact they are asian. Chinese,vietnamese, etc represent the bulk of asians who are doctors. that is all im trying to say. if you think otherwise you are ignorant.

Numbers don't have an ethnicity. Either there is a lower percentage of Hmong doctors as Hmong in the general population, or there isn't. That is the only qualification for URM. If the US Hmong/Laotian/That/etc populations are proportionally represented in the medical profession, they are not URM. End of story.

How is this hard to comprehend?

NotAndrew

Loves Jesus, America Too
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

He just said it does not matter if thai, laos, hmong, and cambodians are actually URM, they are URM and if you disagree you are ignorant. I love it, please keep it coming and if you have a blog do link it.

AsianPersuasion

7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hmmm....I don't know what the stats are, but there's not even one Cambodian physician in massachusetts..

Edit** there is 1.

yamaraja808

May 20, 2010
Oahu, Hawaii
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Numbers don't have an ethnicity. Either there is a lower percentage of Hmong doctors as Hmong in the general population, or there isn't. That is the only qualification for URM. If the US Hmong/Laotian/That/etc populations are proportionally represented in the medical profession, they are not URM. End of story.

How is this hard to comprehend?

This is very true. It is hard for the people of the AAMC or AMA to comprehend that there so many ethnicities in Asia that are URM. If you even go to my home state Hawaii, you will find ethnicities that AAMC/AMA have not even classified properly as URM. For example, there are Filipino physicians but they are not many of them practicing in the US. Yet they are classified as Asian which is not a URM.

demh23

Removed
Jan 23, 2010
Status (Visible)
Why are you all surprised, the thing is if you're from any Asian country and are premed in USA chances are you had a privelaged lifestyle because your parents worked hard to bring you here but Hispanic / Black / Native American are more likely to be at a disadvantage. URM is not so you can say hey look im not white its so that committee can be more aware of those from disprivelaged backgrounds.

AsianPersuasion

7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Why are you all surprised, the thing is if you're from any Asian country and are premed in USA chances are you had a privelaged lifestyle because your parents worked hard to bring you here but Hispanic / Black / Native American are more likely to be at a disadvantage. URM is not so you can say hey look im not white its so that committee can be more aware of those from disprivelaged backgrounds.

Your assumption is quite bias.

The America that I live in, both you and I have the same rights.

The situation about being underprivileged can go both ways. I am Cambodian and I am dirt poor!

(My mother came to America through American refugee sponsorship because of Khmer rouge and communism during the 70's. Currently living in the projects supporting both my parents. The only sources of income we have is through me and welfare.)

But I think it's more about choices.

I believe it should be evaluated case by case, not by ethnicity.

But according to this "formula" I am considered ORM and privileged.

Lunasly

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Canada
Status (Visible)

I am sorry, Long Dong, but I am going to have to use this:

2uh1r1d.gif

Carbon inc

5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
..the thing is if you're from any Asian country and are premed in USA chances are you had a privelaged lifestyle because your parents worked hard to bring you here...

This is an incredibly IGNORANT statement. Don't talk out of your ass like that, you sound real dumb.

AsianPersuasion

7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Nice necrobump.

B+ trolling.

How is this trolling/necrobump exactly?

Because from my understanding, when you have a question, statement, thoughts etc you want to post, you should search the forum just in case a topic similar to your question has already been posted instead of clogging up the forum with identical threads.

LucasP

Jul 23, 2011
Stockton, Ca
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Forgive me for bringing up an old thread, but I found it interesting. I am of Cambodian descent and got a little excited to see some other SEA folks trying to get into the medical fields.

Have any of you guys (particularly SEA) got into a medical school yet?

I just got out of the military 6 years and only recently started on my B.A. in Southeast Asian Studies and have been shooting for medical school afterwards to go back to Cambodia (or where is needed) to help out during missions and such.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.