1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Any southern pre-meds on here?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm from Arkansas and it seems to me that states such as Arkansas, Alabama, and Louisiana have a much different application process. I would be that most of us probably rarely apply to more than 4 or 5 schools.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. SaveThisLabRat

SaveThisLabRat $700 Billion Dollar Woman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There are absolutely no pre-meds from the South.

5. dArroway

dArroway Gettin' my hood on
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ????

7. slipstream99

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Having lived in Tennessee for the past three years, I have a one word response: false.

8. sully677

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I know what ya mean. I am from Nashville, TN. From what I have heard, most of the kids at my school apply to less than 5 schools. The pre-med committee, although good, does not recommend that our students apply to many schools. They say it is a waste of money. I plan on applying to a lot, so I guess I would be considered abnormal compared to most of my piers.

9. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I plan on applying to more than a few schools as well, mostly due to SDN pressure lol.

10. WDeagle

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yea i agree with you man. In the South if you dont get into your in-state school your probably not going to get in anywhere else. The trend is to apply to your in-state school(s) and vandy, emory, and maybe duke and possibly some DO schools.

11. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I think alot of southern pre-meds miss out on alot of chances. I goto school in Arkansas and my pre-med committee acts as if UAMS is the only med school in the universe. They tell you what classes to take according to UAMS' pre-reqs and everything. If you want to attend elsewhere you are pretty much on your own.

12. OCallag

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I guess all us southern premeds have no idea what we're doing and are so sheltered and backward that we apply solely to medical schools within our small, bubbled region.

13. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Having a different application experience != "backwards and sheltered" :rolleyes:

14. OCallag

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for taking that out of context.

It's indicative of the larger problem. When I applied to med school and people asked where I applied, many were shocked I applied to 1) so many schools and 2) many schools outside the region, although both practices are common among marginal candidates. Many of my surprised friends are from the north or midwest and apparently expected me to limit myself to a couple southern schools similar in practice to what their other southern friends have done. In my hometown, if you go off to school it's almost an unwritten rule that you go somewhere beneath the Mason-Dixon (which opens southerners up to being called "backward and sheltered" by outsiders, largely because of the misconception that southerners think everything southern is "right").

15. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh, well I guess I did take you out of context. I'm the same way. I'm applying to 5 schools which is alot from down here and lots of ppl are like "wow your trying to go somewhere other UAMS!" Its crazy, plus I'm a URM and there were like 4 black people total out of 150 students last year so I don't wanna have to compete for what is more than likely a limited space designated for people like me. That would be really ignorant of me.

16. Squiddie

Squiddie Watch out for the cactus
    2+ Year Member

OP, I get what you mean.

Even though I go to school in Virginia, there seems to be a notion that you won't need to apply to more than 10 schools. My list (currently at 16) makes a lot of people look at me like I've got 3 heads or something equally bizarre.

Of course, as far as most of the pre-meds here are concerned, the only school around is UVa. And maybe Hopkins.

17. OCallag

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OP, you're doing the wise thing applying to more than just your state school. While your chances are best at the state school, it's best to maximize your chances by applying to more schools within your range, so good job. I think a big reason the percentage of accepted applicants is low every year is because of people applying to one or two schools (often competitive in-state schools), and readily getting rejected because they just aren't qualified.

There's nothing wrong with that. ;)

18. shaggybill

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nothing wrong with applying only to schools in states that you'd be comfortable living in. I'm probably only going to apply to NC schools and one or two others that are in the deep south. For myself, I can't imagine having to live up north or out west for 4 years, but that's just a preference...

19. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do wah do wah do wah ditty, talk about the girls from New York City! Live dangerously!

20. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I disagree about southern premeds not applying broadly, I only applied to 6 schools and most people I know said I was crazy (i.e. they stuck to the standard ~12). As far as state school emphasis, many state schools down here are really cheap and heavily cater to in staters, so admission is easy and debt is low = more people stay.

As far as regionality, I would say that we apply more broadly than people from the northeast. (But less so than kids out west: plane tickets = mucho dinero $$$)

21. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Who else down South is excited about the Ole Ball Coach and the Crimson Tide? Roll Tide Roll! Keep marking the days off on your calendar. It will be September in the blink of an eye and the smell of the barbecue and the flying pigskin will waft in the warm autumn air.

22. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Just another winning thread brought to you by ejay286.

23. skinnylindsay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I felt similarly when applying. I applied to the NC schools minus Dook, and then other schools in the southeast based on my stats. But honestly, even if I had been applying with a 4.0/45, I would've applied to basically the same schools. I may have added 1 or 2 more like Emory, but staying close to home was a major factor for me.

24. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When are my threads not less than stellar? ;)

25. Squiddie

Squiddie Watch out for the cactus
    2+ Year Member

I know. But I'd be terrified to apply only there. UVa's pretty tough. :rolleyes:

26. admitER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ... I wasn't aware that I was the weird kid for applying to 15 schools... lol.. good to know!

27. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#26 astrife, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  28. Character

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    im sure there r many