any speech/lang pathologists or audiologists turned pre-med or med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstylee

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there?

I'm finishing up my major in Comm Sci and Disorders at NU and I've toyed with the idea of picking up a masters in either (prob speech path though since a masters in hearing is being replaced by Au.D.) There are aspects I don't like about the fields like working in schools, etc but I do like the more hospital-related stuff like working with dysphagic clients or those who have had cochlear implants or laryngectomies, etc. I'm also into the research end of it so I wouldn't mind spending some time doing that either. For speech path, I can probably finish in a year at NU since I've taken so many of the required courses already as an undergrad. As of now, I'm on a few MD waitlists, so I'm thinking of this in terms of a second option. I think I'd enjoy it a lot and it seems like something that would strengthen my credentials for applying to med schools too. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

This may not be super-helpful, but one of the women in my post-bacc premed classes was an audiologist. She taught at a local med school and told me that they guaranteed her admission once she finished her prereqs. So it could be a help.

One of the pediatricians at my school was a speech pathologist before med school. I'm sure it was seen as a plus on her application, but I wouldn't do it just for that reason. OTOH, if you end up with a year's time and are interested, go for it.

Med-
I'm not an SLP nor Audio., but I am an OT.
I'd suggest talking to some of the medical schools that you're interested in and see what they think. You may even see if they can tell you the general perspective on allied-health-turned-MDs. RUMOR (I've never seen substantiated, statistical proof) is that the allied health majors have the lowest acceptance rates out of any major besides nursing. My guess is because we can't explain that we want to be docs "to help people"...OT/PT/SLP/RN would be a job helping people, so you'll need to show some honest thought as to why MD and not SLP.
But...the docs I work with think that the time spent out in the "real world" will help with both the app. cycle and the clinical perspectives of medicine. You'll know how to deal with everyday things, and the clinical aspects (irate docs, no reimbursement, 'secondary gainers', family issues, doing an eval, non-compliant patients) are things that you'll have under your belt, and really can't be gained elsewhere.
If I may add a personal point, I'd say do the audio or SLP. If you've got the grades and the prereqs covered, enjoy yourself...make a little cash, invest, get a car, and build a little career. I am trying to get into med school now. It is - no doubt - more to juggle than if I just went as the 20 yr. old new grad that I was, but I have LOVED LIFE - my twenties have been my time...I've traveled, lived overseas, been published, been promoted, etc...stuff I couldn't have done as easily (IMHO) if I was in med school.
Best of luck in whatever you choose.

dc