Any Stanford regular MD invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haven711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know MD/PhD already had interviews...but how many regular MD people have heard back from Stanford?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on Dec. 1. Cool school.

Congrats on the invite! Also, I'm glad your interview was in December, I thought perhaps they had been occuring as early as October like most other schools. Out of curiousity, did you like it better than Hopkins, Harvard, Wash U or Mayo?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went early Dec as well, and I thought it was superb. The students were friendly without exception (even though it was around exam time), the weather was excellent, and the other applicants came across as more genuine than at other schools.

Hmmm...I'm just feeling the economic pressure of flying to all of these interviews. And Stanford will be my longest flight. I suppose if I end up getting the interview invite I'll suck it up and pay the money...because it sure would be nice to live in cali for four years!

I thought their offices were closed this week, but I recieved an email at 9:00 am today inviting me to interview.

Hi 110HRDL,

I'm just curious as to when your secondary was completed (i.e., secondary submitted, fee paid, recommendations all in). Mine was complete in mid-November and I still haven't heard anything from them. I'm curious to see if they're reviewing files in some sort of chronological order by when an applicant's secondary is done. The waiting is wearing on me.

Congratulations with the invitation and good luck!

Sam

SamDC said:
Hi 110HRDL,

I'm just curious as to when your secondary was completed (i.e., secondary submitted, fee paid, recommendations all in). Mine was complete in mid-November and I still haven't heard anything from them. I'm curious to see if they're reviewing files in some sort of chronological order by when an applicant's secondary is done. The waiting is wearing on me.

Congratulations with the invitation and good luck!

Sam

Sam, I was complete at the end of August. But, I don't know when the others that recieved invites were complete.

110, do you mind telling what your stats are? I'm just curious to see how high MCAT and GPAs are for stanford invites...

PM1981 said:
110, do you mind telling what your stats are? I'm just curious to see how high MCAT and GPAs are for stanford invites...
I'm not quite sure they work that way... I have pretty good stats (39 MCAT, 3.8 GPA) and I got straight-up pre-interview rejected... Oh, Stanford, why do you hate me so...?

PM1981 said:

I have a 38 mcat and a 3.8 gpa, but I can't believe boardchic got rejected - sorry.

PhotoMD said:
Evidence is piling up in favor of the theory that Stanford really isn't by the numbers.

What evidence? That's only one SDNer so far with really high numbers. Besides, what I think they're looking for are ppl who'll fit into their new concentration thing. Kinda cool if they match you with interviewers in your area of interest.

Boardchic, your story scares me mucho.

If you do not mind my asking (I apologize if it is a touchy subject, but I'm sure you have numerous acceptances elsewhere) when did you have your file complete? And...did they contact you via snail mail?

Be prepared for the long haul with Stanford. They interview up till April, in some instances--May!!!--for their spots. They do as they chose, so sit tight. It is definitely more than numbers at Stanford... they could have their pick of 4.0/40s. You got to stand out in another way. So don't worry if you haven't heard anything (Easier said than done), they have a slow review of apps.

PhotoMD said:
Evidence is piling up in favor of the theory that Stanford really isn't by the numbers.
it seems to me that the admission system is pretty random at most [if not all] schools ... however, I think it's pretty difficult to compare lots of similar files (all the files are pretty the same anyway, like similar mcat, gpa, research, volunteers) ... so it has to be random ... luck plays a huge role here .... the decision one makes today is not necessary the same if s/he read the same file again at a later time ...

the solution can arise when some super smart CS ppl come up with a computer prgm to evaluate applicants, but then, ppl will say "we need to put in some humanity into the process" because there is no way computers can look at essays, LOR, ECs, etc ... if we use computer, then only mcat and gpa (we can put some adjustment factor here to adjust the gpa based on the difficulty of the majors/undergrad schools/) will matter ... some ppl wil believe that it's the fairest way that the system can get, and we'll know the result pretty fast after all the files are submitted ... but some ppl will oppose, saying others things matter ..... are we, humans (with unpredictable love and hatred all the time), subjective in evaluating ppl anyway? ... so if we want humans to evaluate our files, if we want to put some humanities into the process, then we have to agree to let our future to be decided and influenced by the subjective and unpredictable feelings of the one who evaluates our files??? let us all pray that our files will come up to the committee at the right time, in the right place, with the right person ....

faradayampere said:
it seems to me that the admission system is pretty random at most [if not all] schools ... however, I think it's pretty difficult to compare lots of similar files (all the files are pretty the same anyway, like similar mcat, gpa, research, volunteers) ... so it has to be random ... luck plays a huge role here .... the decision one makes today is not necessary the same if s/he read the same file again at a later time ...

the solution can arise when some super smart CS ppl come up with a computer prgm to evaluate applicants, but then, ppl will say "we need to put in some humanity into the process" because there is no way computers can look at essays, LOR, ECs, etc ... if we use computer, then only mcat and gpa (we can put some adjustment factor here to adjust the gpa based on the difficulty of the majors/undergrad schools/) will matter ... some ppl wil believe that it's the fairest way that the system can get, and we'll know the result pretty fast after all the files are submitted ... but some ppl will oppose, saying others things matter ..... are we, humans (with unpredictable love and hatred all the time), subjective in evaluating ppl anyway? ... so if we want humans to evaluate our files, if we want to put some humanities into the process, then we have to agree to let our future to be decided and influenced by the subjective and unpredictable feelings of the one who evaluates our files??? let us all pray that our files will come up to the committee at the right time, in the right place, with the right person ....

"Chance favors the prepared [applicant]." -- Louis Pasteur

wxl31 said:
What evidence? That's only one SDNer so far with really high numbers. Besides, what I think they're looking for are ppl who'll fit into their new concentration thing. Kinda cool if they match you with interviewers in your area of interest.

Anecdotal evidence from other threads.

I more or less agree with faraday, that there is no getting around that the interview is subjective. Even if interviewers rate you numerically, the numbers are assigned subjectively. If they see you on an off day, well, there goes your admission. Still, statistics tells us that unless you are an off person, you won't have multiple off interviews, so your chances of getting into medical school are good if your numbers support your admission. If that makes any sense...

Haven711 said:
Boardchic, your story scares me mucho.

If you do not mind my asking (I apologize if it is a touchy subject, but I'm sure you have numerous acceptances elsewhere) when did you have your file complete? And...did they contact you via snail mail?
Hey, no problem... I was complete October 8 (I was a little behind with everything...) And, yes, they did contact me via snail mail (measly thin envelope). I think part of my problem was that I shot myself in the (Stanford) foot by putting on my secondary that I wanted to go into private practice, since they're so research-oriented. In fact, I think I said something to the effect of 'I appreciate the value of biomedical research, but I want to be involved with the individual...' (I've since decided that I think I want to go into academic medicine with a focus on public health, but when I was filling out the secondary none of my goals seemed to fit into the check boxes...) May have been a big mistake (but it makes me nervous that there's something else wrong with my application... I really don't consider myself a solely 'numbers' person...).

Haven 711, when did you interview at Wash U... I interviewed with someone from Augustana on December 2... Could it have been you?

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck!

boardchic said:
Hey, no problem... I was complete October 8 (I was a little behind with everything...) And, yes, they did contact me via snail mail (measly thin envelope). I think part of my problem was that I shot myself in the (Stanford) foot by putting on my secondary that I wanted to go into private practice, since they're so research-oriented. In fact, I think I said something to the effect of 'I appreciate the value of biomedical research, but I want to be involved with the individual...' (I've since decided that I think I want to go into academic medicine with a focus on public health, but when I was filling out the secondary none of my goals seemed to fit into the check boxes...) May have been a big mistake (but it makes me nervous that there's something else wrong with my application... I really don't consider myself a solely 'numbers' person...).

Haven 711, when did you interview at Wash U... I interviewed with someone from Augustana on December 2... Could it have been you?

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck!

I actually interviewed at Wash on November 30th...but since Augie is so small I guarantee that I know the person you met (we have about 15 pre-meds that stick it out until senior year). If you give me a description, I can pass along a hello!

Ironic Side Note: I also said I wanted to do private practice on the Stanford ap...and then now decided I like public health and dabbling in academic medicine. Sigh.