Any Stories of Medical Students Retaliating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSeanieB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just curious if there are any stories of med students retaliating against the God-complexes that own our evals? I pretend to be naive or not to hear certain things. Sure they could give us a bad eval but we could put them in really hot water. Just to name a few things in my 4 months. One doc blatently committed insurance fraud in front of me multiple times by reporting that he/she had spent over a hour with the patient, did a comprehensive physical exam, and the visit involved complex decision making. In reallity, we saw the patient for 2 minutes, did not have a stethescope with us, and the decision was made before we entered the room. Another doc, who was being paid by a bodybuilding type guy to give him steroid injections, was asked by the guy, "Do you think it will be a problem that you ordered the stuff before you got my levels (testosterone levels)?" I could go on.

If you feel a physician is committing fraud, you have an obligation to report it. That's called being ethical. And if that's not enough, you also get a cut of the money. Of course, if you're just making this up, then you'd get royally screwed. Either way, saving it up simply for retaliation (or conversely, letting it slide if you have a "nice" attending) isn't proper medical behavior, but then again you have to decide what kind of a person you are.

Just curious if there are any stories of med students retaliating against the God-complexes that own our evals? I pretend to be naive or not to hear certain things. Sure they could give us a bad eval but we could put them in really hot water. Just to name a few things in my 4 months. One doc blatently committed insurance fraud in front of me multiple times by reporting that he/she had spent over a hour with the patient, did a comprehensive physical exam, and the visit involved complex decision making. In reallity, we saw the patient for 2 minutes, did not have a stethescope with us, and the decision was made before we entered the room. Another doc, who was being paid by a bodybuilding type guy to give him steroid injections, was asked by the guy, "Do you think it will be a problem that you ordered the stuff before you got my levels (testosterone levels)?" I could go on.

You have an obligation to report the fraud. There should be an anonymous report line where you are.

As far as the drugs You can put in a tip to the DEA or the state medical board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a medical student certainly is not enjoyable all of the time. Any one of us could have reported innumerable HIPAA, OSHA, residency work-hours, and professionalism violations to the appropriate authorities. Rather than focusing on finding points to "retaliate," why not focus on the issues resulting in your poor evaluation?

I would pay $$ to see what would unfold if you told the doctor "if you don't give me all honors scores, I'm going to report you"

ethical?:confused:

I would pay $$ to see what would unfold if you told the doctor "if you don't give me all honors scores, I'm going to report you"

ethical?:confused:

:thumbup:

There is a story at my school of a 4th year who attempted to blackmail an attending for a LOR because they knew that doctor was fooling around inside the hospital with another hospital employee. Apparently the student got sent to professional committee and I *think* expelled. However, not sure how true it is or not as many ridiculous rumours/stories fly around my school

:thumbup:

There is a story at my school of a 4th year who attempted to blackmail an attending for a LOR because they knew that doctor was fooling around inside the hospital with another hospital employee. Apparently the student got sent to professional committee and I *think* expelled. However, not sure how true it is or not as many ridiculous rumours/stories fly around my school

But, even assuming that's true, that's not at all what we're talking about. First of all, dating someone in a hospital -- or even, if what you really meant was "having an affair with someone" -- is not a legal/criminal issue. And you don't blackmail someone, which is itself a serious crime. If you knew someone was committing Medicare fraud and your response was to blackmail them over it, you would also be a criminal, since you're just trying to use the issue for personal gain. You either report it or not and hopefully you choose to report it.

But, even assuming that's true, that's not at all what we're talking about. First of all, dating someone in a hospital -- or even, if what you really meant was "having an affair with someone" -- is not a legal/criminal issue. And you don't blackmail someone, which is itself a serious crime. If you knew someone was committing Medicare fraud and your response was to blackmail them over it, you would also be a criminal, since you're just trying to use the issue for personal gain. You either report it or not and hopefully you choose to report it.

I meant having sex in the hospital not just dating someone. Sorry i should have explained better

Holy cow, do you know how much sex goes on in hospitals? In the ER sleep rooms, the call rooms, etc. Where I did residency I had one female resident sleeping with at least 2 other residents then would go be with her "fiance" in the next city on the weekends. Had a male resident dating half the nursing staff - he must have had some pheromone that I couldn't smell because I thought he was just a pig. Oh, well.

There was an attending who had 2 nurses and his wife pregnant at the same time. Also slept with many medical students who rotated through. Ended up paying 6000/month child support. He committed suicide 3 years later.

There is another attending who has both a wife and a mistress. They live in separate houses next door to each other.

It is everywhere. You are not going to stop it.

Last edited:
Holy cow, do you know how much sex goes on in hospitals? In the ER sleep rooms, the call rooms, etc. Where I did residency I had one female resident sleeping with at least 2 other residents then would go be with her "fiance" in the next city on the weekends. Had a male resident dating half the nursing staff - he must have had some pheromone that I couldn't smell because I thought he was just a pig. Oh, well.

There was an attending who had 2 nurses and his wife pregnant at the same time. Also slept with many medical students who rotated through. Ended up paying 6000/month child support. He committed suicide 3 years later.

There is another attending who has both a wife and a mistress. They live in separate houses next do to each other.

I went to the wrong residency.

There is another attending who has both a wife and a mistress. They live in separate houses next door to each other.

So you did your residency at Seattle Grace?

One of the reasons Ill probably never get married. I have major trust issues and women can't be trusted. I'm a virgin, and sometimes that gets me down, but other times it makes me think I'm not a dumb animal just following the primitive instincts.

Members don't see this ad :)

Epic. I'm starting to reconsider shooting for a classy hospital. I should go to some rural crap hole FM program with the sketchiest doctors on the planet because that sounds hilarious.

Which hospital is this? I hate Grey's Anatomy, but I think it'd be cool to spend a rotation at a hospital that acted like the RL version of it.

Which hospital is this? I hate Grey's Anatomy, but I think it'd be cool to spend a rotation at a hospital that acted like the RL version of it.

Cool in what way? In terms of learning the HIPAA intricacies involved when you're working up your own attending for Gonorrhea?

Yeah, because men who have had sexual intercourse with women have never said that before. :rolleyes:

not the second part, and the kind of person who reads a story about men and women cheating on their significant others and their takeaway is women can't be trusted probably has some personal issues to sort through

not the second part, and the kind of person who reads a story about men and women cheating on their significant others and their takeaway is women can't be trusted probably has some personal issues to sort through

Not really. He has no reason to say that HE cannot be trusted since he's a virgin. By definition, he's trustworthy, moreso than the woman. At this point, in any relationship he has, the woman is the only one suspect. You may not like that, but that's the case.

Holy crap! I guess I was wrong for thinking greys anatomy was too heavy on the sex haha

You and I had the same thought lol

You all just need to pick up a firearms license and show it to these douchebags and put the fear of god into em.

You all just need to pick up a firearms license and show it to these douchebags and put the fear of god into em.

Wow, your critical thinking skills are on the level of like a rock or a tree branch. Do you impress your teachers?

Now all you gotta do is get your firearms id card, carry it with pride and you'd be a real man instead of a little wimp XD

I'll keep that in mind the next time I want to impress someone with green hair.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I want to impress someone with green hair.
Don't hate becuz you're not a Packer backer. And that was temporary anyway. And could all the real men please step forward ;)

Nah, I'm just more decent than most humans I meet. I've had a lot of friends both men and women, and women are masters at backstabbing, lying, cheating, it like they spend their lives mastering the art.

Why in the world would anyone think it is okay to hold something over an attending because of an eval?

I can't imagine the attending not finding out. Some way.

Ahahahahahha
Excellent catch there

What is that thread suppose to prove? That I'm not a virgin? I didn't say I got laid in that thread, I said I hope I get the chance too.

Nah, I'm just more decent than most humans I meet. I've had a lot of friends both men and women, and women are masters at backstabbing, lying, cheating, it like they spend their lives mastering the art.

You sound like a scared little boy. Where are all the real men at?

What is that thread suppose to prove? That I'm not a virgin? I didn't say I got laid in that thread, I said I hope I get the chance too.

I'm not going to touch your sexual issues with a nine foot pole. In this thread, you state that:

One of the reasons Ill probably never get married. I have major trust issues and women can't be trusted.
I've had a lot of friends both men and women, and women are masters at backstabbing, lying, cheating, it like they spend their lives mastering the art.
-In the other thread, you actually do want to get married someday; therefore, you're implying there must be some kind of decency and trust about women if you truly want to settle down with one.

I'm not a dumb animal just following the primitive instincts.
-But obviously, with your other thread, all you are doing is following your primal instincts. I'll leave the dumb animal part for others to decide.

Nah, I'm just more decent than most humans I meet.
-If you are coming on sdn to look for casual sex, blatantly objectifying women and then bashing them by calling them masters of backstabbing, lying and cheating, then you sir, are not a decent human. You are a troll, and trolls cannot be decent.

Reactions: 1 user

I feel bad for those kids. :(

Reactions: 1 user