MD & DO Any stories of slackers that turned it around and found success in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Success can include a high step score, honoring all your classes, matching into a competitive field, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a slacker for the first 2 years of college, but kinda got my crap together after that. Finished with a 3.19 gpa, didn’t have any ECs, no LORs, etc. Got really good at beer pong though.

Med school has gone much better - plenty of pubs, ECs, faculty connections, strong steps etc. it a lot easier to be successful if you actually enjoy what you’re doing.

Undergrad Was just 4 years of learning meaningless crap for no reason, Med school everything is at least semi relevant. Also my undergrad was brutally cutthroat, while med school has been far more collegial.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been a successful slacker

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I was a slacker for the first 2 years of college, but kinda got my crap together after that. Finished with a 3.19 gpa, didn’t have any ECs, no LORs, etc. Got really good at beer pong though.

Med school has gone much better - plenty of pubs, ECs, faculty connections, strong steps etc. it a lot easier to be successful if you actually enjoy what you’re doing.

I second this. I partied a lot in college, gpa was horrible, and I bombed the MCAT the first time I took it, but I did have some research and other EC's under my belt. I had to do a post-bacc to bounce back. I think now I've achieved the optimum of slacker to putting in work. Will report back next week haha.

Reactions: 3 users
Success can include a high step score, honoring all your classes, matching into a competitive field, etc.
Success in med school is matching into the field you want. Period.

Reactions: 12 users
Success in med school is matching into the field you want. Period.

That's definitely true, but the reason why I defined "success" in that specific manner is because for the purposes of this thread, I'm looking at it from the angle of, what did this person accomplish that the slacker version of themselves totally would've been unable to achieve?

I'm talking like the person that had to repeat a year but worked like crazy to match into ortho and made it happen. The poor GPA/MCAT but 250+ steps individuals, stuff like that. Kind of like, against the odds, this person made it.

That's definitely true, but the reason why I defined "success" in that specific manner is because for the purposes of this thread, I'm looking at it from the angle of, what did this person accomplish that the slacker version of themselves totally would've been unable to achieve?

I'm talking like the person that had to repeat a year but worked like crazy to match into ortho and made it happen. The poor GPA/MCAT but 250+ steps individuals, stuff like that. Kind of like, against the odds, this person made it.
Why are you asking this question?

Why are you asking this question?

Honestly, I'm just curious. An unintended effect of this is that it could give hope to current or former slackers pursuing what may look impossible. Like not every person matching into derm was an academic superstar from day one, lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I slacked off the first year of med school. Got serious when doctoring classes rolled around year two, and did well on step 1\2.

Also H’d all my clinicals. Hope is real bros, but you gotta cut the crap and actually work.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe not exactly what you’re looking for but was definitely a slacker in high school, just partied a lot and scrapped by enough to not get a hard time about grades. In college I had literally zero clue I wanted to go to Med school. Did pretty well in classes but didn’t even consider med school until a few months after graduating. Had an average MCAT and below average AMCAS gpa. Starting med school, I failed our first couple exams, really questioned if I could intellectually handle it. Wasn’t being a slacker, just could not figure out how the heck to study this amount and level of material.

Fast forward- AOA, honors in every rotation, excellent board scores, second in my class ranking, had interviews at some top programs in one of the most competitive surgical sub specialties. We’ll see in a week and a half if it was a real success story though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let you know if stopping the slacking for med school actually mattered if I match to a great program in my desired specialty. If I don't do that, honestly I should have just kept coasting and would have achieved the same result.

Senioritis since high school. Has not been working to my favor.

Maybe not exactly what you’re looking for but was definitely a slacker in high school, just partied a lot and scrapped by enough to not get a hard time about grades. In college I had literally zero clue I wanted to go to Med school. Did pretty well in classes but didn’t even consider med school until a few months after graduating. Had an average MCAT and below average AMCAS gpa. Starting med school, I failed our first couple exams, really questioned if I could intellectually handle it. Wasn’t being a slacker, just could not figure out how the heck to study this amount and level of material.

Fast forward- AOA, honors in every rotation, excellent board scores, second in my class ranking, had interviews at some top programs in one of the most competitive surgical sub specialties. We’ll see in a week and a half if it was a real success story though!
congrats man. i come from a similar background except took 5+ years to get into medical school

Reactions: 2 users
congrats man. i come from a similar background except took 5+ years to get into medical school

I was a few years older than most of my class when I matriculated as well. Honestly I think there’s a big positive to having some life experience going into this.

At the medical school level? Ultra rare at my school. Slackers usually are dismissed or withdraw.

Magic is not real. Magic thinking sure is, though.
I have had the same experience, except for ONE student. I and other faculty literally spent hours tutoring this individual. From the types of questions they asked, it was clear their depth of knowledge was shallow. Multiple failures and remediations. I felt they should be dismissed as we were just taking their money and they had no hope. This person was the poster child for GRIT and refused to accept failure. They went onto score just under the 90th percentile on the Comlex. Waiting to hear of their match results next week. I'm so proud of them, but for sure, not the typical outcome.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I have had the same experience, except for ONE student. I and other faculty literally spent hours tutoring this individual. From the types of questions they asked, it was clear their depth of knowledge was shallow. Multiple failures and remediations. I felt they should be dismissed as we were just taking their money and they had no hope. This person was the poster child for GRIT and refused to accept failure. They went onto score just under the 90th percentile on the Comlex. Waiting to hear of their match results next week. I'm so proud of them, but for sure, not the typical outcome.

That doesn’t sound like a slacker. More like someone who was underprepared or has a learning disability. To me a slacker is somebody who doesn’t put in the work.

Reactions: 7 users
I was a massive slacker in college. Combination of partying too much, large classes with no accountability, bad support system and mainly lack of work ethic got to me. Had an F and more C's than I care to remember on my transcript. I took a couple of gap years to figure out what I really wanted to do and decided medicine. Got into a DO school and changed my outlook before going in. Well into the top quartile now and feel like a completely different person than what I was just a few years ago.

2.5 undergrad GPA. almost kicked out of undergrad for 1.4 one semester. 497 MCAT. Then did a post bacc got 4.0. Med school avg first two years-90%. I was a POS in undergrad def got my crap together now but it took a ton of sacrifice and hard work. Now for Step 1? lmao TBD come June-what a beast of an exam. Im just glad the guy who decided to interview me gave me a shot because looking back on my history I had red flag high risk med school failout written all over me

Last edited:
  • Love
That is kickass. Love hearing this. Thanks for sharing

Honestly, I'm just curious. An unintended effect of this is that it could give hope to current or former slackers pursuing what may look impossible. Like not every person matching into derm was an academic superstar from day one, lol.
amen bro

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great post! Thanks for starting it @slowthai. I've read some good stories so far, but I'd also be interested to know what made you go from being a slacker to become succesful? and also how did you do it? ie less partying, more studying...less FB/IG etc time to study...etc

This is a great post! Thanks for starting it @slowthai. I've read some good stories so far, but I'd also be interested to know what made you go from being a slacker to become succesful? and also how did you do it? ie less partying, more studying...less FB/IG etc time to study...etc

Thanks! Maybe I'll update this thread when I get my step scores, lol. But to answer your question, there was a lot that went into the change that I made, like a lot. But some big things:

1. Just start. That's the hardest part, 99% of the time. Once you get the ball rolling, your momentum will carry you.

2. Find a method of studying that you enjoy, or at least hate the least. For me, that's Anki. It allows me to do my studying in very manageable chunks. The fact that it's highly customizable makes it amazing because I can optimize it to my liking. Ironically, it gives me a lot of flexibility in the way I spend the rest of my day, because I'm so consistent with it.

3. Taking frequent breaks. When I first started getting serious, I used a 50/10 setup. 50 minutes on, 10 minutes off. 50 minutes of intense focus, no goofing around. Phone is out of sight (and therefore out of mind). The 10 minutes is for you to do whatever you want.

4. Energy management. What makes it hard to get a lot of work done is when you're tired. That will really cut a long day of studying short. Aside from all the regular sleep hygiene stuff, consider putting your head down on your desk for a quick 10-20 minute rest/nap. Most of the time, unless I'm completely destroyed, it works and I get a boost that allows me to put in another couple hours. This may not work for everyone, lol

That's all I could think of, hope it was helpful.

Last edited:

I mean, I went from 147th in my 161 person HS class and failing Yoga (right?) at a community college to an MD. It can be done.

Figure out what your weaknesses are, and work on being a better version of yourself every day. Ask for feedback and actually use it. Over time you will see the process work.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I went from no maths, chemistry or physics at High school, failing half of my first two years of undergrad (P.E degree) forcing me to extend my degree. Here I am scoring well enough to even consider NSGY.

I used to work in Construction during undergrad and I had one Foreman who believed in me and sat down with me and discussed things, i'd never really experienced anything like that, was definitely a big turning point in my life.

On another note i'm a big believer in, "Show me your friends, i'll show you your future". It's all about who you surround yourself with, I can tell you if I had a different placement partner I wouldn't be working nearly as hard, it's almost like a competition who can gun the hardest.

Thanks! Maybe I'll update this thread when I get my step scores, lol. But to answer your question, there was a lot that went into the change that I made, like a lot. But some big things:

1. Just start. That's the hardest part, 99% of the time. Once you get the ball rolling, your momentum will carry you.

2. Find a method of studying that you enjoy, or at least hate the least. For me, that's Anki. It allows me to do my studying in very manageable chunks. The fact that it's highly customizable makes it amazing because I can optimize it to my liking. Ironically, it gives me a lot of flexibility in the way I spend the rest of my day, because I'm so consistent with it.

3. Taking frequent breaks. When I first started getting serious, I used a 50/10 setup. 50 minutes on, 10 minutes off. 50 minutes of intense focus, no goofing around. Phone is out of sight (and therefore out of mind). The 10 minutes is for you to do whatever you want.

4. Energy management. What makes it hard to get a lot of work done is when you're tired. That will really cut a long day of studying short. Aside from all the regular sleep hygiene stuff, consider putting your head down on your desk for a quick 10-20 minute rest/nap. Most of the time, unless I'm completely destroyed, it works and I get a boost that allows me to put in another couple hours. This may not work for everyone, lol

That's all I could think of, hope it was helpful.

Awesome! Keep us posted :)

I actually was a big slacker up until med school. I never had to try much in high school, skating by with mostly As/Bs on intellect alone. I never developed study habits, and carried that into undergrad. I went to a state “party school” and mostly screwed around or didn’t show up to the majority of my freshman and sophomore year courses. I knew all along I wanted to do medicine, and starting junior year with a ~3.1 GPA wasn’t going to cut it. I started going to class more, and ended up with a 3.4 by the time I graduated. I applied to med school during a gap year, but didn’t get into any MD schools. I was accepted to a DO school that had accidentally over accepted for the incoming class, so they pushed back my start date another year.

I wasn’t jazzed about the school, and ended up doing a post-bacc while reapplying. I ended up crushing my post bac courses, and was accepted to several mid tier MD schools. Finished magna cum laude, junior AOA, with step 1/2 >260. I’ll be starting a Mohs fellowship next year.

That post-bacc, while expensive, was the best thing I ever did for my education. I learned how to actually apply myself and study, and I know, had I waited and taken the initial acceptance, I wouldn’t have done nearly as well.