Any struggling & surviving pre-pharmacy students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahjth

PharmD Wannabe!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have belonged to this board for quite a while. I have read a :sleep: gazillion - "I have a 3.97 GPA will I get in?" posts. But I am getting flustered because I KNOW there has to be someone paddling in the same boat with me.. Someone that is struggling through a few classes due to language barriers, seldom tests, etc. I am wondering- are there any other pre-pharmacy students that don't have an amazing GPA (under 3.2) but still want to be a pharmacist and are trying? Because I don't really have that great of GPA but I am trying to increase it, the PCAT scares the crap out of me (just hearing it makes me want to burst into tears) but I am determined to be a pharmacist. I just wanted to know or get to know someone else that is struggling & surviving... and is doing what they can to become a pharmacy student even though they are going to have some obstacles down the road? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am proud to say that I share your woes. I can boast a 3.2 GPA (and that isn't going to get better or worse within the next year), and I know that I will have so much to explain when (if?) I get an interview, but I am not going to go down without fighting. So, hats off to you and your desire to be a pharmacist!
sarahjth said:
I have belonged to this board for quite a while. I have read a :sleep: gazillion - "I have a 3.97 GPA will I get in?" posts. But I am getting flustered because I KNOW there has to be someone paddling in the same boat with me.. Someone that is struggling through a few classes due to language barriers, seldom tests, etc. I am wondering- are there any other pre-pharmacy students that don't have an amazing GPA (under 3.2) but still want to be a pharmacist and are trying? Because I don't really have that great of GPA but I am trying to increase it, the PCAT scares the crap out of me (just hearing it makes me want to burst into tears) but I am determined to be a pharmacist. I just wanted to know or get to know someone else that is struggling & surviving... and is doing what they can to become a pharmacy student even though they are going to have some obstacles down the road? :)

I was in your shoes (GPA-wise) and got into pharmacy school. :) I'm a P1 and my grades in pharmacy school are WAY better than in undergrad. I do have to say, though, that my study habits are astronomically better than they were in undergrad. Pharmacy school's about time management, so master that.

Now, my long sob story of why my GPA was as low as it was shows that this occurred based on one semester my freshman year of college in 1998, but regardless, I had obstacles to overcome. Point is you'll have to prove that you are good enough. If you don't get in this year, reapply and retake/take higher level classes.

Believe in yourself, don't give up, and fight for what you want. Not everyone can have a 4.0 GPA and 99 PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
sarahjth said:

I share your woes in the sense that I am struggling. Now whether I will survive this whole ordeal is another question. I don't have a low GPA, but I can barely stay awake during work and class (I work 50 hrs a week). I've almost gotten into several auto accidents while driving home from my graveyard shift. I know several people in our situation but they keep truckin. I don't know how but they do.

sarahjth said:

As i always say you are not alone, i'm not gonna repeat my current sob story, but my undergrad years were a nightmare between not liking my school, trying to please my parents and failing miserably at it, and having my granma relapse with cancer during one of my semesters, going into a coma the night before my bio finial and dieing litterally the day after the last day of school i'd say my GPA took a thrashing. I'm a post-bacc now, and i see this as sort of my new start and its still hard to juggle everything and i will admit that i detest studying with a passion (i don't think that's normal especially since i wanna go to pharm school) but my current job and my life the way it is now is my motivation to see this whole thing to the bitter end.
And boy do i know how you feel about the PCAT it scares the be-jesus outta me too, but we will make it plus the way i see it, i didn't invest all this bloody time and money not too, i'll be mighty pissed if i don't. :mad:

chin up sarahjth you'll be fine :)

~m

Wow, what an amazing workload. If I were you, I would choose what is more important. I have 15 c.h. and I am always stressed.. I don't know how people with heavy workloads and heavy class workloads do it! Yikes but kudos!

:scared:

sarahjth said:
I don't know how people with heavy workloads and heavy class workloads do it! Yikes but kudos!

Red Bull, Full Throttle, Monster, triple espressos, SB DARK French Roast, etc do nothing for me..LoL. That's how I used to do it but now.......I'm on fumes.

Yes, Coffee !

i am taking 17 hours and working 15. im just tired. :scared: i hate lab. they are just TOO long. i don't think that i will take so much this coming semester. :D

sarahjth said:
Wow, what an amazing workload. If I were you, I would choose what is more important. I have 15 c.h. and I am always stressed.. I don't know how people with heavy workloads and heavy class workloads do it! Yikes but kudos!

15 credit hours (3 4-hr credit classes including 2 labs), work 20-25 hrs a week, plus ECs (it's mainly one but it consumes most of my free time). I'm doing fine. It's all about what you think and know you can handle.

My roommate (a PY3) has suggested to me that my life in pharmacy school won't be as rough, though I'll probably still find ways to keep busy. ;)

I thrive (though sometimes not happily) on high octane. If I had lots of free time my grades wouldn't be so good. Weird but true.

I have around a 3.2 gpa myself but you just have to keep on keeping on, and bring up your strengths in other areas. My poor gpa is mostly due to the fact that I took organic chemistry I and II three times each and did horribly. OUHSC averages EACH attempt to take a class, so my pre-req gpa plummitted from around a 3.7 to a 3.2. But I took Organic Chem I at a different school last Spring and made an A, so hopefully they will see that Im a little more focused and mature now.

Hello, I just want to take a moment and let you know that I will be 50 yrs young when I get accepted into a Professional Pharmd program.

I am in the process of changing careers.

I have had 3 careers thus far in my life.

I have a beautiful loving and intelligent wife who is my tutor and for whom I am so very thankful to God for.

Do not worry about the small stuff, prepare yourself daily, discipline is the key.

You get out of it what you put into it, if you want it bad enough you will find a way to get there, at any age.

You are young, healthy, and you have an opportunity today to go after a dream, count yourself among the few who have this blessing afforded to them.

You can do it, you will do it, and you will never regret it....Life is about experiences, not just GPA and PCAT Scores...

Grow yourself in maturity and character, go for 4.0 in Character and it will take you further in life than any GPA score ever could.

Seize this moment in your life and make yourself the best you can be....

P.S. I too struggle with my coursework. I am no brain, nor do I want to be one. I like who I am.

The bottom line is..... No matter what anybody say's you will become a Pharmd if you want it bad enough! Regardless of your IQ, you will obtain this goal as it is an "EFFORT DRIVEN" achivement.

Now, go put in your best effort day in and day out, use all possible resources that are available to you, and one day, you will be a Pharmd.

Sincerely,

-Tavit :)

dpari said:
Hello, I just want to take a moment and let you know that I will be 50 yrs young when I get accepted into a Professional Pharmd program.

I have a beautiful loving and intelligent wife who is my tutor and for whom I am so very thankful to God for.

Do not worry about the small stuff, prepare yourself daily, discipline is the key.

You get out of it what you put into it, if you want it bad enough you will find a way to get there, at any age.

You are young, healthy, and you have an opportunity today to go after a dream, count yourself among the few who have this blessing afforded to them.

You can do it, you will do it, and you will never regret it....Life is about experiences, not just GPA and PCAT Scores...

Grow yourself in maturity and character, go for 4.0 in Character and it will take you further in life than any GPA score ever could.

P.S. I too struggle with my coursework. I am no brain, nor do I want to be one. I like who I am.

The bottom line is..... No matter what anybody say's you will become a Pharmd if you want it bad enough! Regardless of your IQ, you will obtain this goal as it is an "EFFORT DRIVEN" achivement.

Now, go put in your best effort day in and day out, use all possible resources that are available to you, and one day, you will be a Pharmd.

Sincerely,

i'm only 19 and applying to Fall 2006..reason i go to pharmacy is my parents are old and i have to get a job making at least over 100k to support them for the rest of their life...we live in a ghetto neighborhood very dangerous...and they are aging and pharmacy career able me to complete fast and can make over 100k to get my family out of the ghetto hood. So if i dont get into Fall 2006, i be screwed....anybody has similiar story to mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
dpari, your words are truly an inspiration to me. :)

I'm a sub 3.0 applicant. I know, I know, my chances are very very slim, but I'm aiming for (hopefully) a phenomenal personal statement and some good recommendations.

Can't say much about the PCAT right now, since I just took them two weeks ago and I had five exams and two quizzes in the same week! :scared: :scared:

I'll be graduating in major financial aid debt, one of the reasons why pharmacy seems appealing to me. My parents aren't living in a dirt poor neighborhood but they deserve better than what they have right now. :oops:

Hi, I just want to drop by and encourage you to stay the course, it does not matter how long, or how difficult, or even if you stray a bit and change careers.

What does matter is that we have the courage, and character to go for it!

To stand tall one day, and in the future look at ourselves in the mirror and respect who we see and know that others as they look at us and interact with us, respect us also.

Do not give yourself to negativity, or crisis news media driven events.

Stay focused on being the best you can be each day, Love your family members, they are the only ones you will ever have. Enjoy your friends,
and believe in yourself and will find success sooner than later, count on it!!

I wish you well....

Sefira said:
dpari, your words are truly an inspiration to me. :)

I'm a sub 3.0 applicant. I know, I know, my chances are very very slim, but I'm aiming for (hopefully) a phenomenal personal statement and some good recommendations.

Can't say much about the PCAT right now, since I just took them two weeks ago and I had five exams and two quizzes in the same week! :scared: :scared:

I'll be graduating in major financial aid debt, one of the reasons why pharmacy seems appealing to me. My parents aren't living in a dirt poor neighborhood but they deserve better than what they have right now. :oops:

I just wanna to say that if I own a pharmacy school I will accept all of you. I know that we have all been trying and trying very hard. Remember to breath! We'll be alright! :D

Thanks for the acceptance Acura-TL & Rx! Can't wait until you open your own. :)

Shares143 said:
Thanks for the acceptance Acura-TL & Rx! Can't wait until you open your own. :)

Hahahaha... just know that you guys have a spot at my imaginary pharmacy school. If only I have tons of money..... Take care

I applied last year with slightly under a 3.0 and did not get in. I applied this year, very early, with just over a 3.0 and I've been accepted. You will get in if you work hard and stay on top of things and don't give up! Don't let all the 3.9 GPA's out there make you feel inadequate. I hated this site last year for that reason- everytime I read someone's post about how "bad" their 3.6 GPA was I felt like a big loser! :laugh:

ndearwater said:
I applied last year with slightly under a 3.0 and did not get in. I applied this year, very early, with just over a 3.0 and I've been accepted. You will get in if you work hard and stay on top of things and don't give up! Don't let all the 3.9 GPA's out there make you feel inadequate. I hated this site last year for that reason- everytime I read someone's post about how "bad" their 3.6 GPA was I felt like a big loser! :laugh:

ur NEW 3.0 GPA now, what other extractivies did u do, and pharmacy experience, tell us please =) it will be helpful

Hi,

Since everyone posted their sob story, I'll post one too! I have a little bit over 3.0 GPA. I work full time and sometime more. I have 2 jobs and I volunteer at 2 places on the weekends. I came from Thailand. I'm on my own, borrowing money to go to school and send money to my family in Thailand. I send half of my pay check to my family because I'm taking care of 9 lives not including myself. I help my parents to send my younger brother, my niece, and nephew to go to school. I have a paralyzed cousin who is staying with my parents and I'm taking care of her as well. My parents are a middle school teachers and their salaries can't cover all of the expenses that we have. I feel very lucky that I get to come to the US and improving the living condition for my family. It's just I can't seem to work enough hours to have enough money for all of us. I feel tired and beat up all of the time. I never have enough time to study. If I get into pharmacy school, I have to quit my jobs and have to take out bigger loans. Anyone know how the financial aid system for professional school works?

To the original post: You're not alone. I don't know what I'll do if I don't get in this time. All I know is that I have to keep working for my family.

jiepper said:
Hi,

If I get into pharmacy school, I have to quit my jobs and have to take out bigger loans. Anyone know how the financial aid system for professional school works?

If you quit ur job, how u going to send money home to your family in Thailand? are u lying to us everything u posted about 9 lives? lolz jk! good luck with ur career =) and ur family :love:

jiepper said:
Hi,

Since everyone posted their sob story, I'll post one too! I have a little bit over 3.0 GPA. I work full time and sometime more. I have 2 jobs and I volunteer at 2 places on the weekends. I came from Thailand. I'm on my own, borrowing money to go to school and send money to my family in Thailand. I send half of my pay check to my family because I'm taking care of 9 lives not including myself. I help my parents to send my younger brother, my niece, and nephew to go to school. I have a paralyzed cousin who is staying with my parents and I'm taking care of her as well. My parents are a middle school teachers and their salaries can't cover all of the expenses that we have. I feel very lucky that I get to come to the US and improving the living condition for my family. It's just I can't seem to work enough hours to have enough money for all of us. I feel tired and beat up all of the time. I never have enough time to study. If I get into pharmacy school, I have to quit my jobs and have to take out bigger loans. Anyone know how the financial aid system for professional school works?

To the original post: You're not alone. I don't know what I'll do if I don't get in this time. All I know is that I have to keep working for my family.

You're truly an inspiration! :) I think many of us will be in a financial rut too including myself. I have taken out some loans for undergrad but it'll be nothing like pharmacy school. I cannot even think of my interest payments are going to be let alone the huge chunk of money, they want us to fork over. Just know, I am in somewhat of the same boat.. granted you have a much larger task supporting others and yourself but by that sounds of it, it seems you can really handle it. I know it'll be hard but somehow a miracle will happen.

It's hard to believe to many people but my parents and I are helping each other out to take care 9 people. There are my parents, 1 younger brother, 1 paralyze cousin, 1 cousin who is my paralyzed cousin's caretaker , her husband and their 2 kids (a girl and a boy). They all live with my parents. It's difficult for a lot of my American friends to believe that I'm helping to take care of so many people. I don't really care if people don't believe me. All I know is that $400 a month is a lot of money for my family in Thailand. There are a lot of other families in Thailand that are in a much worse condition than mine. If you go to Thailand, you'll see how it is in the country-side. I was able to come to live in the US because my aunt married to an American GI at the time when the US soldiers were stationing at Thailand army bases during the Vietnam war. Without my American adopted father/guardian, I wouldn't be here today.

I don't know just yet what I'll do if I get into pharmacy school. But I figured that pharmacy intern gets about $12-14 per hour. If I can work may be 20 hours per week. Therefore, I can send the same amount as I'm doing now but working less hours. Take out several loans for me to just have enough to pay tuition, fees and living expenses and just send money that I work to Thailand. But if I don;t get in, I'll find a job somewhere that has a better pay than my on-campus jobs. I'll definitely keep working if I don't get in.

But please don't hurt my feeling. I just post this so that everyone else that is struggling knows that they are not alone. If anyone is going to Thailand in the Northeast region, please let me know. I can tell you all about that area. Not a lot to see as far as shopping malls, but a lot of peaceful country side villages and old temples. People in the country side are friendly.

Hey jiepper,

Don't worry about people putting hurtful post. I believe you because my family is doing the same thing (filipina). I admire you, and its kind people like you who really deserve to be in the healthcare field. So good luck, and keep at it!

Shares143 said:
I admire you, and its kind people like you who really deserve to be in the healthcare field. So good luck, and keep at it!

Ditto! =)

Hey all. I too am a low GPA applicant. For UF's preprofessional GPA I have a 3.0, less than their average admitting GPA. Overall I have about a 3.3 or a 3.4 (I'm waiting for pharmcas to recalculate it), but I also hold a BS degree in a very hard major (chemisty) so hopefully the schools I apply to will see that the C's I made where in classes like Quantam Mechanics and Advanced Biochem and not freshman English or anything. I finished all my UF applications and now I'm sitting around biting my nails! Last semester I was workin 50+ hours a week and got a 3.8 GPA in 14 credit hours of classes, so hopefully they'll look at that too. All I've ever wanted is to be a Gator, and hopefully this is my time.

GatorRxGirl said:
Hey all. I too am a low GPA applicant. For UF's preprofessional GPA I have a 3.0, less than their average admitting GPA. Overall I have about a 3.3 or a 3.4 (I'm waiting for pharmcas to recalculate it), but I also hold a BS degree in a very hard major (chemisty) so hopefully the schools I apply to will see that the C's I made where in classes like Quantam Mechanics and Advanced Biochem and not freshman English or anything. I finished all my UF applications and now I'm sitting around biting my nails! Last semester I was workin 50+ hours a week and got a 3.8 GPA in 14 credit hours of classes, so hopefully they'll look at that too. All I've ever wanted is to be a Gator, and hopefully this is my time.

Great job at raising your GPA GatorRxGirl. I am also in the same boat, but I have a much lower GPA. About a 2.9. I graduated with a neuroscience & psychology major so I guess, like you said about your chem major, they will look at it as "it's a hard major". In an application I'm trying to finish they have a question where they ask if I have an explaination for any academic difficulities. How do I expalin such a low GPA? I mean I was invovled in a dance team for 3 years and held many leadership roles. But could that be an excuse? O dazzed and confused! Anyone have advice?

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
i'm only 19 and applying to Fall 2006..reason i go to pharmacy is my parents are old and i have to get a job making at least over 100k to support them for the rest of their life...we live in a ghetto neighborhood very dangerous...and they are aging and pharmacy career able me to complete fast and can make over 100k to get my family out of the ghetto hood. So if i dont get into Fall 2006, i be screwed....anybody has similiar story to mine?

Hi there.....

Not sure how old this post is but i saw it and had to reply. I am in a similar situation. I'm 26..... trying to apply to pharmacy, med school, or nursing. At this point i'm considering nursing for practical purposes. I have a 6 soon turning 7 year old daughter. Live at home with mom and sister. My dad runs a small business but he's getting old and soon it's us that will have to take care of them since he's saved nothing. We live two blocks from the ghetto in miami.....and for the past 5 years i've been working doing massage therapy and going to school. Got a little distracted by the party scene for a couple of years and my grades suffered tremendously... plus i thought i was going to go into business and thought that grades wouldn't matter so i let them go down......anyhow...i've woken up and smelled the coffee...and am like .... crap if i don't get in i'm totally screwed..... so look at it this way... at least you don't have a kid that's growing at a mile a minute...... you're young.... and you have the option of doing post bacs if you need to... there are many options... keep your faith up.. you'll do great!

this post was old but I am glad it is back. Whoo-hoo!

Since this post, I got a stressful job! Yikes! But on the other hand, I rose my GPA... yeehaw!!! :laugh: Now just gotta keep raising, raising, raising..

I am in a simlar situation also. My GPA is decent (3.4ish), but i have 16 Ws on my transcript :(. My first year and a half of college had a bumpy start due to family, roomate, and emotional problems (I was only 17 and i wasn't ready for college). I withdrew from all of my classes twice and have gone on to withdraw from Ochem labs twice because it's like 95 degrees in our Ochem lab. I have matured since then and i'm doing fairly well in all of my classes, i'm about to start a pharmacy job, and i'm doing volunteer work that i really enjoy. Hopefully, pharmacy schools will see that i've matured since then, but i still worry about my Ws incessantly.

what a beautiful post!! I needed that! Thank you! :oops:

Does anyone know if the universities weigh the PCAT and your GPA differently or if they are equally important? And also, does it make a difference if you graduate with a degree before you apply for PharmD, because it will most likely drop my GPA during those last few semesters. I'm a Biochemistry and MCB major but i don't want to waste 2 years to complete those if i don't have to.

i'm so HAPPY for this post. i am a 3.2 gpa (2.85 science gpa) with only 3 months pharm tech experience plus other jobs. i'm so terrified becuase other people on the forums have said taht they got rejected with gpas around mine... and others got accepted except they had like 95 on PCATs...

is there any hope? to impress the schools, do i have to get a degree BEFORE i apply or while i apply? if they see that i'm pursuing a degree.. will they consider it more competetive?

ahhhhh!!! i hate worrying about this! wish i didn't do so bad in chemistry classes. :mad:

I just got accepted and I can tell you there is hope. My gpa overall was a 2.8 and my science a 3.0. I got a 86 on the Pcat. I think the interview and my LOR's from my wonderful pharmacists and microbiology professer really helped. I also am a senior tech at walgreens where I have worked for a year and a half. Sarahjth I know what you mean about work and school. I had 16 credits last semester and worked 43 hours a week. Good luck to you all!!

Thanks for all that posted with low GPAs and got accepted. Really gives me hope and less stress.

I would like to thanks the person who started this topic and the people who posted before me because it gave me back so much hope. I started out great my first semester, but it sort of went down hill from there and now I'm GPA is less than 2.8. Hopefully, I'll try harder next semester and bring up my GPA. I want to apply this year, but the plan has been extend till next year since I know 100% I will not get accepted. So from this year till next year I'm trying to retake some of my classes I receive C's in. To those of you who already got into pharmacy schools with average GPA, did you have to retake any science classes and does your school average the grades for the repeat course or did they take the highest school? Thanks!

dpari said:

Sincerely,

I am new to this website and i just want to thank god i stayed up till 5 in the morning that one night surfing the nite. Tavit i just want to say when i read your comment i was deeply touch at your unselfishness and wisdom. As a 18 year old kid, i played and was selfish for a huge maroriity of my life. I didn't care about school and worried about football and taking all the easy way out. It didn't hit me until i graduated, seeing all my friends going to different universities and me stuck in going to community college kinda made me sad and left out. My parents have been nothing but kinda and patient with me, always encouraging me to do my hw and do good in school to have a good life. But i was so arrogance and stupid in highschool that i would just get mad everytime they remind me. But knowing all that and getting a reality check of where i'll be in 10 years scared me. So i busted my ass in community college and got a good enough grade to get into The University of Austin. I look back and know that i have gone a long way since i was in hs, and becoming a pharmacist is not lonely and depressing n e more, now that i have seen the many brave and touching stories i've heard. I want to thank everyone for sharing their experience and hope only the best for your guys.

Now that i got a 2nd chance in life, i was just wondering if n e one could show me my way and tell me the mistake and experience they had pursuing this rigorous pharmacy career. Such as volunteering at hospitals, becoming a pharm tech, and studying for the pcat (I notice that everyone uses Kaplan so i figure i will study for it now). I also wonder if there is a website that has all the pharmacy schools in the U.S and has what the chances of you getting in. I know this is alot, and i thank anyone is who is willing to share their information and i just want to thank everyone and hope everyone the best!

I swear, the quote from Tavit in the previous post just made me cry. I was feeling so sorry for myself because I stayed up all night, worked my butt off on a take home test in a class where the professor could care less about instructing us, and just found out I got a C on it. I haven't seen a C on anything in at least 6 years. I felt like there was no way I was going to be able to cut it as a Pharm D student when I couldn't even get a decent grade on a genetics test. Thanks for making me feel better ( and a bit more humble).
God (whomever yours may or may not be) bless all!

Just think of it this way....If you are feeling sorry for yourself, there are others that are in worst situation..This is to Rachgator-Heat sucks. :laugh:

fob12 said:
Just think of it this way....If you are feeling sorry for yourself, there are others that are in worst situation..This is to Rachgator-Heat sucks. :laugh:
I guess if I was a Mavs fan I would be worse off :) . j/k

same here, im slowly trying to bring up my gpa while taking all the prereqs.....i just started with the prereqs so hopefully when im done with all these classes, my gpa will be where i want it to be :oops: