Any success stories of candidates who got into medical with a 3.0 GPA or lower?

Bibi7365

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If anyone has gotten into medical school with a 3.0 GPA or lower and did not have to enroll in a SMP or get a MS please.... share your story.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2000
Status (Visible)
There are a couple people on the DO forum who report 2.9ish gpas, but high MCAT scores (30 and above) and have been successful.

I'm pro DO and probably going to a DO school in the fall, so this is no way derogatory.

About the Ads

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You are going to have to do an SMP or post-bac most definately if you want to go to school in the US. Perhaps you would have a shot at DO but most likely not with a low GPA.

I feel your woes with a low GPA. I got in with a ~2.8 GPA. However I did have a 33MCAT and spent a year doing an SMP where I got a 4.0.

Bibi7365

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks a bunch guys.. I am currently leaning towards a post-bacc program... now if only I can find a decent one in Dallas... I really appreciate ya'lls honesty ... when and if I get in... trust me... I will be posting things on here like crazy and give hopes to those poor chumps like me... :D

DOUBLEDIGITSII

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
I got an interview at Drew/UCLA on Feb 24th with an Undergrad GPA 2.6
Grad GPA 3.5 and MCAT 25R

D

deleted113029

I got an interview at Drew/UCLA on Feb 24th with an Undergrad GPA 2.6
Grad GPA 3.5 and MCAT 25R

chiropractic school? :smuggrin: i know it's been 4 yrs since i applied to med schools, but when did UCLA lower their standards?! Those numbers are :eek:

hb2998

15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
chiropractic school? :smuggrin: i know it's been 4 yrs since i applied to med schools, but when did UCLA lower their standards?! Those numbers are :eek:

From what I've heard Drew doesn't look at your numbers. They focus mostly on your extracurricular activities especially helping out the undeserved community.

Michelle823

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
Thanks a bunch guys.. I am currently leaning towards a post-bacc program... now if only I can find a decent one in Dallas... I really appreciate ya'lls honesty ... when and if I get in... trust me... I will be posting things on here like crazy and give hopes to those poor chumps like me... :D

Try looking at TCOM's master of science. It's difficult, but you take some classes with med students, so I've heard.

FYI, I have a science GPA of 3.2 and got 4 texas interviews...no acceptance, but that may be more due to a late application.....yay new tmdsas system :thumbdown:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.