Any success stories with a MCAT retake, but great application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelersfan1243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be motivational to hear some. I am in the midst of studying to retake my MCAT due to a low verbal and psych section, overall score of what is most likely the equivalent of a 29. All I am reading on SDN is how a MCAT retake is a huge red flag, but I am really hoping to see if this is any bit exaggerated. People who have retaken the MCAT, was the application cycle a struggle?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the test twice. Most of the interviewers (at open-file interviews) brought it up at some point. Generally, they asked what I did the second time around to raise my score. They didn't make a big deal out of it (since, as some interviewers said, my score had gone up), but of course I don't know if it had any impact on my application behind the scenes. I would hazard that it didn't.

Good luck with your preparation!

I think it would be motivational to hear some. I am in the midst of studying to retake my MCAT due to a low verbal and psych section, overall score of what is most likely the equivalent of a 29. All I am reading on SDN is how a MCAT retake is a huge red flag, but I am really hoping to see if this is any bit exaggerated. People who have retaken the MCAT, was the application cycle a struggle?
Where is it called a huge red flag? A huge red flag is an IA, criminal record, 3+ MCAT retakes, poor letter of rec, etc that sinks an app. Lots of people retake the MCAT and improve a few points. Most med schools either average the two scores or use the most recent score.

The real question is, do you think with more studying you'll significantly improve past ~75th percentile? You could take that score and go DO with success if you have a solid GPA and ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test twice. Most of the interviewers (at open-file interviews) brought it up at some point. Generally, they asked what I did the second time around to raise my score. They didn't make a big deal out of it (since, as some interviewers said, my score had gone up), but of course I don't know if it had any impact on my application behind the scenes. I would hazard that it didn't.

Good luck with your preparation!
If willing could you go into details of your cycle? What was your application profile like, how many interviews, and where you have matriculated? Also why did you retake and what were your scores? This could give me a better picture
Where is it called a huge red flag? A huge red flag is an IA, criminal record, 3+ MCAT retakes, poor letter of rec, etc that sinks an app. Lots of people retake the MCAT and improve a few points. Most med schools either average the two scores or use the most recent score.

The real question is, do you think with more studying you'll significantly improve past ~75th percentile? You could take that score and go DO with success if you have a solid GPA and ECs

I actually scored 32-47% on verbal, so I was told I need to retake regardless. Also I was averaging a equivalent of 10 on my practice tests and got 89% correct on the practice test. I really just ran out of time so I am confident I can bring up my score with more practice, which I am doing.

Read @hushcom's thread; taking the MCAT twice in itself is not a major issue that will have major ramifications on someone's MD chances. I believe it was @gyngyn who was the one who also said many ADCOMs work on a 3 strikes policy with the MCAT. You are only on strike 1. Now to be fair, improving MCAT scores is hard and statistics show significant improvement does not have favorable odds. But if you make it happen it will help your application and not be something to stress over.

Last edited:
I took it twice
First time a 31, second time a 30

It was never brought up with any of my four interviewers

I took the test 3 times (with my second time being lower than my first) and got into an MD school.

Reactions: 1 user
It isn't a red flag to take the test again. I know a few people who took it twice and got into medical school with no issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Considering how well you did on your practice test you absolutely should retake