any suggestions about Good excuses to give PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfsurg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for good excuses to give your PD for leaving the program (If the resident is not switching specialties or quitting medicine altogether).

Members don't see this ad.

While Kent's suggestion is good, I favor a slight twist on an oldie but a goodie...

"its not me, its you". :D

Seriously, why not just tell the PD the truth - you're not happy there and would rather be in another program (or whatever the truth is)?

While Kent's suggestion is good, I favor a slight twist on an oldie but a goodie...

"its not me, its you". :D

Seriously, why not just tell the PD the truth - you're not happy there and would rather be in another program (or whatever the truth is)?

After all, you can still be friends. ;)

do PD's really take the "i am leaving because i am not happy here" reason well?

"I'm seeing someone else."

"I don't feel like this is a mutual relationship anymore"

"How can you cheat on me?" ok - that may not work too well.

"I cheated on you and I need to mature" - may be a better approach.

"We both know we can do better."

"When I'm with you, I feel like I have to work to keep this relationship alive, and when I'm away from you, all I can think about is how happy I am."

"I slept with your sister."

Why does it matter how they take it? If you are honest things are more likely to go smoothly, I would think. So what if they get a little disappointed and try to convince you to stay, isn't that a good thing? You don't have to agree with them. All you need is a backbone and a willingness to consider other options and advice.

Are people afraid of confrontation or something?

"We have the perfect love at the wrong time...I'm so sorry." "I miss being HAPPY!"

They probably won't take any reason "wel" but the truth always wins out. As far as they are concerned, the reason doesn't really matter - they still have to find someone to take your place. More altruistic PDs will say they don't want anyone who isn't happy, be we all know that isn't always true.