Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any suggestions for faculty to meet at Washington University??

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by mjs, Dec 1, 2002.

1. mjs

mjs Millionaire, Superhero
    7+ Year Member

Hi all,

I'm interviewing at Wash U in early January and I was asked to name faculty I would like to meet. From theirabstract book, I've seen a few labs I'm interested in visiting and I've emailed a few people for advice. However, their abstracts seem a little out of date and since a few of y'all have been to their interview, I figured I'd throw it out here as well.

If anyone met with any really great physician-scientist PIs or scientists working at the interface between biology, the physical sciences, and computation, would you PM me with their names so I can check them out? Don't do any legwork or anything, but if a name just jumps out at you, let me know. That is, if you don't mind sharing. ;)

Thanks,
    mjs

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

heyo - i dug ross cagan -- he seems a little spacy, but hes a cool guy and does work with drosophila eye specification stuff (R7,R8) - real classic stuff and hes really young. hes doing computational modeling along with molecular bio stuff regarding turing models of reaction diffusion systems which i have a personal interest in. hes simply a fun person to talk to, and you might be interested in the stuff he does (very multi-faceted). best,

-jot

4. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    John Litchman, he has good work in neuro stuff...and he gets people out fast with good papers on Neuron :p

5. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Names, names, names...

Jay Ponder [computational protein structure prediction]
    Sean Eddy [computational genetics]
    Gabe Waksman [x-ray crystallography of receptors]
    David Piwnica-Worms [PET/MRI in-vivo molecular imaging]

My roommate used to work with

J Michael Crowder [neuro with C. elegans]

I can personally say that he rules.

The RIB has everything with key word searches:

http://dbbs.wustl.edu/rib/rib.html

Yours,

Jason

6. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey,

i went to WashU for undergrad in BME.

Based on your (i should mention, extremely broad) area of interest, i would say:

anyone in BioE department.

Frank Yin - He's chair, and very (did i mention VERY) well known. He is doing cardiac tissue mechanics.

Larry Taber: he's pretty well established. something to do with tissue mechanics.

Salvartore Sutera, also pretty established (unles he's mostly into teaching these days), red blood cell mechanics (i think)

Shao (that's his last name, don't remember his first): is doing something with cellular mechanics.

The rest of BioE department is relatively new:

Shelly sakiyama - elbert is doing something related neuronal cell regeneration.
    Donal elbert is doing something with drug design (i don't really remember what, or he hasn't talked to us about his research enough)
    Daniel moran is doing muscle mechanics, EEG, signals, etc (in monkeys).
    Rohit Pappu is doing computational biochemistry (something to do with modeling and protein structure).

William F Pickard (he is by no means a new professor, and in EE department mainly) is probably doing computational related things. I've never had a complete grasp of his work, but it's related to plant transport, i think.

there are more profs. the BioE department is trying to expand into more neuroscience areas (there is one new faculty doing learning and memory related to movement).
    look here: www.biomed.wustl.edu
    and if you browse around, you will find which profs outside there department are available to you as PIs.

Are you looking at the "Biomedical science research interest book"? Because, i have a very strong feeling that does NOT cover everything. Especially if you're interested in BioE.

Consider in mind, there are joint faculty, in different departments, but they can still be your PI.

For neuro:
    I second Lichtman... he is the guy for neuro!

Sanes is also good.
    (i don't really know either of their research intersts)

Salkoff (if his work interests you, it's channel biophysics and genetics) is the absolute most awesome professor you will meet, publishes in good places, and gets awesome grants.

Van essen is quite well established, and his work is defineltly related to computational stuff. I don't have a firm grasp, but it think it's related to image processing and precision in MRI... but read up.

and here is the neuroscience webpage: www.pcg.wustl.edu

Also, Eliot Elson is well established, and I have a feeling his work would be related to physical science and bio. He is in cell biology.

it's very thourough and sorted.

If the research interest book seems consistent with the department webpages, than trust it's up to date.

as for the things being not up to date, i TOTALLY agree, and there isn't much you can do about it. If someone's work interests you, go to pubmed (www.pubmed.com), type in their na me, and you'll get the latest articles. then, you can see if it's still of interest to you.

if you're more specific about topic, i could give more direction.
    And, my final recomendation is Paul Bridgman. Because he, (bias revealed) was my PI. We were looking at function of different myosin enzymes in neuronal cellular development. And, he also did microscopy projects (designing laser tweezers). It's relates to BioE in the sense of :a lot o f work was done with cellular/BioOrganic tissue mechanics, and the laser microscopy design work. He's a good PI to work for, you will get a lot out of it. But, the funding situation, is i supposed, quite fluctuating (i'm not sure if that a good description, but that would be someth ing i would be concerned about if choosing him for a MD PhD PI).

Hope this helps.

And, i did NO legwork and opened no other browser windows besides this. :D (which makes me wonder how much crap my brain is loaded with).

Sonya