Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Any suggestions for high paying summer jobs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Alexander99, May 2, 2004.

1. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Do you guys have any suggestions for a high paying ($15/hr+) summer job? I really want to have fun this summer but financially, I'm gonna need to make as much money as possible before starting med school. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. BubbleBobble

BubbleBobble Where's the "any" key?
    7+ Year Member

Can you program? Summer interns at software companies can make up to $25-30/hr.

3. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Sometimes road construction companies hire college help over the summer. They pay really well, but generally your duties fall into 1 of 2 categories
    1) Holding a flag all day in the sweltering heat
    2) Working your a$$ off for like 12 hours a day

I work in a factory over the summer and make about 13 bucks an hour but not all factories hire summer help.

4. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

Tutoring

Think $50 dollars under the table. OMG

5. sfgboy

sfgboy Village fool
    10+ Year Member

I have to agree with this. Private tutoring or teaching for Kaplan / PR is the way to go. The test preps each pay about $20/hour, you're already probably qualified to teach, the hours are flexible, the job actually borders on fun, and you still have time to take it easy before you start four years of hell. Private pays even better.

6. giggledesi

giggledesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

TAing also makes a lot of money. I am taing chemistry this summer and making 30.00 plus to do it :) and it is part-time!

7. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What are their requirements and when do they start hiring?

8. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

Get like 10's or 11's or whatever on the MCAT or on their practice exams and then you do a little presentation for them. Just go ask your local Kaplan; they seem to be looking for employees.

9. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

Male gigolo.

10. sfgboy

sfgboy Village fool
    10+ Year Member

Just do a thread search on Kaplan. This topic has been talked about tons of times.

11. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    illicit drug trafficking

12. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Yeah. I'm already going to be teaching for Kaplan over the summer but I'll get less than 10 hours a week.

I don't know how to program.

I could do the construction thing but exactly how much is "a lot" concerning their pay?

For private tutoring, the problem will be finding clients. I don't think I have enough time to build up the clients to make any significant money. Is there a place I can look for people specifically looking for private tutors?

13. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

You can usually find posters lying around school or be a tutor or TA. You're right about finding clients... usually the best way to get more students is by word of mouth. I know of this one guy who's making a total killing off teaching piano lessons to Chinese people.

14. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

My friend works for a construction company and makes about 21 bucks an hour. He works his balls off though.

15. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    The hard part is that you will be tutoring over the summer and there will be far fewer students (and summer students tend to be better students in general). I have tutored for the last few years and prefer tutoring HS AP classes. You are pretty much guaranteed that the kids will be there at least weekly since it is their parents and they are usually more punctual.

16. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I have a job that would pay me roughly 10-11 bucks an hour at roughly 70 hours a week if I choose to take it (it is 70 hours because it involves a lot of travel but you do get weekends off). It is crappy construction type work though. Man, I hope the stupid hospital calls soon to give me a job or else i wont have any choice but to take it:(

17. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

$21/hr but I have to give up my balls huh? I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. I might need them in the future. :laugh:

18. JDAD

JDAD 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

BABYSIT for rich people. I made 400 bucks this weekend. All I had to do was watch a 12 year old from thursday afternoon until sunday night about 9pm.

You get to stay is sweet houses and eat their food. They also gave me 100 bucks to entertain myself and the kid while I was there. Awsome job.

19. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Sounds like the perfect job. So where do I find some rich people? Where'd you find yours?

20. OMG sign me up!

21. GoBlue2004

GoBlue2004 Member
    5+ Year Member

Get a job as an intern in the pharmaceutical industry. I've been working there for about 3 years while going to school. The hours are very flexible, you don't have anyone watching over your shoulder, you work at your own pace, looks great on a resume, learn how to operate the lastest machinery (i.e. HPLC, Mass Spectrometer, etc...) you can do some of the work at home, and the list goes on and on. I worked about 30-40 hours/week during the school year and full time during the summer. The pay is around $20/hour and you get a spending account for all the stuff you need to run your experiments and office supplies. The best job I've had thus far.... :)

22. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Sounds ideal. Pharmaceutical intern you say? Would that be a job I could find listed on monster.com or somewhere? What are some good websites for me to look for jobs?

23. camstah

camstah running thru dandelions
    7+ Year Member

there are usually tutoring services around that will hire you, and give you clients...they get paid $50 and you get paid $25....it's pretty nice actually....what area are you looking to find clients in?

24. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

That sounds pretty good. Where do I inquire about these tutoring services? I'm in the San Diego area.

25. GoBlue2004

GoBlue2004 Member
    5+ Year Member

If you have a pharmaceutical company around where you live, you can contact the person in charge of the interns and ask them to see if they have openings. Usually the positions are filled very quickly so you won't find them on monster. You can also go to their website to see what is available. They usually have a website where you can fill out an application. If you have skills with analytical chemistry and/or experience in HPLC or LC/MS, electrophoresis, cell culture etc... on your resume, you will have a very good shot at being selected. They look for different things. It so happened that I got in first because I knew someone there and had him circulate a resume and second because I had experience running HPLC and LC/MS. Seriously, if you can get one of these jobs it is awesome. :thumbup:

26. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

I have none of those skills. I hate research. Any chance I can still get one of those jobs anyway?

27. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

university president

200K plus benefits

28. DoctorWannaBe

DoctorWannaBe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do Kaplan/PR allow people to teach for just the summer? I have been interested in applying there before I start medical school in a few months, but thought they would want a more long term commitment.

29. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it is important to ask the OP what his skills are. Lets see the resume :)

I worked as an engineer the summer before med school at $25/hr. Very lax. Plus I sometimes got overtime (1 1/2 times)

30. I am also in the market for a high paying summer job (or any job at this point). The problem I see is that I will only be home for about 2 months before I have to leave again for med school. Finding someone to hire me for those 2 months is where the problem lies. I've waitered and worked retail before and I definitely don't want to do that again. I was thinking there might be some way I can put my B.S. to use, but somehow I doubt it.

Jobs in the Long Island area anyone?

31. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

I've got very generic skills. I can type fast, I know how to work a cash register, know how to close out a store at night, and that's about it.

32. lirpa2004

lirpa2004 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I recommend contacting a temp agency if you're looking for an easy way to get a summer position. I'm probably going to be doing clerical stuff at a hospital this summer for $10-12/hour through a temp agency. It was much easier than trying to find a job myself.

33. ut_stephen

ut_stephen Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It depends on how desperate they are. There generally is a high turnover of teachers though so I'm sure it has been done many times before.
    But you could always just lie...

34. snapdad

snapdad Rock and Roll Doctor
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is a good way to go if you have skills with Word, Excel, etc. I got a temp gig doing Excel at an environmental insurance firm in February, and although it was originally only supposed to last two weeks, it's looking now like it'll carry through the summer. The nice part about it is that since it's temp, they usually have some flexibility when you need to take time off to find an apartment, get your financial aid set up for fall, have a three-day weekend so you can hit the mountains, etc. :D

35. TripleDegree

TripleDegree Joker Doctor
    10+ Year Member

You want to have fun???? You don't think medical school is fun??? gosh - i pity your patients. From all your posts, it appears that you are the kind of underachiever who slipped through the cracks and lied your way into a medical seat. Shame on UCSD for allowing you to enter into their gates. I hope the system weeds you out!

36. CoverMe

CoverMe Registered Republican
    7+ Year Member

TA'ing at the university. I'll be working June 6 - July 7. Four days a week, six hours a day, and getting a check for $2200. Oh, and i'm teaching two sections of the same lab... so i only have to invent one set of quizzes and tests! :D

Plus i'll be taking a class in the mornings, since i'll be on campus anyway.

the rest of the summer is miiiiine alllll miiiiine!

37. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the hourly rates for private tutoring vary by region.
    obviously if you live in new york city...the cost of living is much higher so your pay will be a lot higher...

if you are in california, those rates will not be as high.

38. GoBlue2004

GoBlue2004 Member
    5+ Year Member

I think that would make it difficult. They are willing to train as they did with me...at the beginning I didn't know how to run any of the analytical machines, but I learned quickly; you just have to be motivated and look around for people to train you. If you don't have those skills, then you really have to do a lot of leg work and be persistent.