Any suggestions...ideas...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some advices, suggestions, or ideas from all of you out there. I've been trying to apply for a pharmacy intern position since the beginning of May, but it seems that all of the positions are full. They just told me to come back in August. I know you all are probably wondering why I didn't apply sooner right? Well, stupid me....I didn't realize that these positions would fill up that fast, so I just procrastinated until May. Let's see, I've called hospital, independent, and all the chain retail pharmacies, but still no luck. :( Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what I should do to get through these 3 loooooong months of summer. Thanks everybody.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

...enjoy the break and eat ramen noodles?

Jd

JD! Ramen Noodles ?! :laugh:

Pharmangel: Who have you talked to at the chains...DM's, pharmacy recruiters, pharmacy managers? I know some people here in Vegas who got internship positions at Vons by talking with the pharmacy manager...apparently intern salaries come out of the pharmacy's budget, so it's up to the manager to hire interns.

At hospitals, have you tried to "bypass" human resources and go directly to one of the pharmacy supervisors/managers?

Where are you located, btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
jdpharmd: hehehe.....eat ramen noodles. Good advice there....thanks. I'll be sure to keep that one in mind :D

LVPharm: yes, I've talked to the district managers of the big chain stores here. I also got a hold of all the pharmacy managers at the hospitals. So I guess there's not much I can do now huh??

Actually, you could try the pharmacy managers at the local stores. Depends on the chain. In this case, Vons is a local supermarket chain here in Vegas, and pay for interns (apparently) comes out of the store's budget. So, it's not really up to the DM, but the actual pharmacy manager (at the store). I don't know if this is how it works at any other place (maybe it's just a Vegas thing), but it might be worth a try (talking to a store's pharmacy manager). You might wanna try busier stores, too.

If not, enjoy your summer! ramen noodles...hmmm :)

I must say pharmangel, I'm a skeptic that you've tried everywhere. A lot of pharm managers at chains will hire interns just like they hire techs, i know bc my store manager is trying to get the number of a friend of mine who's at ucsf and is looking for an internship.

Like others have said, you can get hired directly by the pharm manager or store manager (more likely the store manager.) My store manager is even willing to 'steal' them away from the chain recruiters. I think it would be a BIG mistake not to get some intern hours in this summer.

speaking of summer internship, when is a good time to look for it?
are students supposed to secure a summer internship during the spring term? (just like what we did back in undergrad)

Well, depends on where you're located, if you want hospital or retail, etc. Most of classmates and myself have looked throughout the year for intern positions. I know a couple of people who just got hired at Sav-on about 2 weeks ago. I got employed at a hospital pharmacy several months ago. There aren't that many hospital spots around, so I made it a point to start looking back in December. It's not so much about summer work for us, its about work during the school year and getting some hours in during break. We already have a 6 week full time community pharmacy rotation to do this summer (I start next week, the school placed me at a California Target location).

Are you going to a pharm program that encourages its students to gain employment in a pharmacy over summers to complete 1500 hours by graduation? I'd start looking around early, at least let pharm managers know who you are and that you're interested.

Originally posted by LVPharm
We already have a 6 week full time community pharmacy rotation to do this summer (I start next week, the school placed me at a California Target location).

Around here, the Tagets are like gold. I don't know if they're the same out there, but here they are all new pharmacies, really nice staff and a pretty low prescription volume. Plus, the scripts that get dropped off are usually from people who are shopping at the same time, meaning that you get plenty of time to fill them. It's also pretty laid back, and there is plenty of time and room for counseling. Good luck with your store!

Jd

Thanks Jd! I just remembered I have to call my preceptor and introduce myself. And I have to get myself some red collared shirts and khakis. It'll be cool not having to put on a shirt and tie to intern in a pharmacy :)

I love the shirt and tie (just hate the smock).

LVPharm,

What's it like going to school in Las Vegas? My GF's family has a house there, so I went last march. I must confess, I hate that place. It like represents just about everything i consider tweaked. At any rate, is it easy to study there?

I was a huge unlv fan back in the LJ, Stacey Augmon, Anderson Hunt days (until they played my utah utes in the sweet sixteen. I digress.....)

I actually enjoy having the option of wearing scrubs...one of the (minor) reasons I like hospital pharmacy.

I hardly go to "the strip", most locals around here don't, either. Elsewhere, Vegas is like many other cities. It has its blighted areas, and its grassy suburbs (Summerlin is really no different than some of the places I know in Orange County).

Sure, there are distractions. I don't go clubbing (or gambling) nearly as much as my classmates (and profs!) do. I have no problems finding time to study for my exams. The good thing about Vegas is that when you want to "unwind" (like after an exam), your options are wide-open. I do know people in my class who show up to class obviously hung-over ;)

The problem with Vegas is, its either too hot or too cold. Not ~70-80 degree average temps close to year round like you find in SoCal. The high was over 100 today, close to 110 yesterday. The current temperature outside, at close to midnight is in the 90s. I like to run outdoors, ~4 miles a day. No prob in SoCal. Tough doing that here 5 months out of the year. I have to go running at 7PM when the temp gets down to ~100 degrees.

Yeah, I'm weird that way. I hate scrubs. I don't like white coats either. There's something uniformy about all that stuff and scrubs just always look bad to me. Oh yeah and the slip on shoes, yikes!! dunno.

Originally posted by Triangulation
I love the shirt and tie (just hate the smock).

LVPharm,

What's it like going to school in Las Vegas? I must confess, I hate that place. It like represents just about everything i consider tweaked.

Ever read (or see) Hunter S Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"? If not, I would highly recommend it. Basically it was exactly what you described. A failed experiment in the American dream. It represented everything that was wrong with society, etc. An excellent read!! Tweaked does not even begin to describe it!

By the way, can't you guys and gals wear white coats as interns? I had one custom-altered because I couldn't find one tall enough, and I wear it all the time at Rite Aid. (Along with the shirt and tie) If someone thinks that they are going to get me into a smock (akin to a cashier) they are wrong. I am not graduating with 8 years of school and $130,000 in debt to ring up cigarettes or call for price checks.

Jd

The white coat is supposed to be a symbol of a clinical professional (at least thats what they tell me ;) ) That's why health professional schools have "white coat ceremonies"...to give you your coat representing your entry into the profession (cheezy, sappy...I know)

Yes, I wear a white long sleeved consultation coat. The school gives us white short-sleeved coats (from the ceremony), I don't use those cuz I think they look weird. I'll probably use that consultation coat over my red polo shirt and khakis..."Target Style". Earlier this year, the local Targets allowed their pharmacists to wear the coat...apparently they didn't get to wear them before, I thought that sucked...

I wear scrubs when I work in a hospital IV room...required attire. Elsewhere in the hospital, its optional, they like to see their pharmacists (and interns) wearing shirt, tie, and long length, long sleeved lab coats.

How does the hospital IV room work? I've worked in retail for 3 years, but I don't have any hospital experience yet. How clean is it? I'm sure that you have prep hoods, etc but for instance, could I have a breathmint while I was in there? Are any scrubs good, or do they have to be from the hospital, or what? I'm curious...

Jd

Depends on the hospital. At my place, we are required to wear navy blue scrubs for IV room. Supposedly the hospital wants the color of the scrub to signify what department your from. Ciel blue is supposed to be for surg. But nobody follows this, I wear ciel blue from time to time. You supply your own scrubs.

Your supposed to "scrub in" before working in the hood. Your also supposed to prep a hood with sterile water and 70% isopropyl alcohol before you begin your shift. Then spray with alcohol and wipe down after every admixture you make. No breathmints, no food. Surprisingly, gloves are optional, and nobody wears bonnets or shoe covers. This is not up to ASHP standards (yet). But it's perfectly acceptable. As long as you practice proper "aseptic technique" by allowing the flow of air to keep your surfaces (the needle, vial surface) sterile, and you keep your hands away from those surfaces. All vials, bag septums, are either sprayed with alcohol or wiped with alcohol swipes before sticking them with needles. You do admixture after admixture for ~7 1/2 hours, standing up with your arms out in front of you. The day goes by fast, but your back kills you by the end of the day. I still prefer this to a day at a retail establishment (shows you how much I loved my Rite-Aid ;) ).

How does the IV room work? At the beginning of a shift, you get "the batch" all the medication orders for admixtures that are expected to be given over the next shift. You will start working on them, unless a stat order comes in (which is frequently, and has to be done right away). Each order is on a label, and specifies the diluent (for example, D5W 250 ml), and the drug to be used, and amount (eg, Rifampin 120 mg). You grab the correct IV bag and the correct vial. The vial will tell you it has a certain number of mg/ml, you do a quick calc to determine how many ml you'll need, and you write it on the label, then you "fill" the order. You initial the label, slap it on the IV bag, place it on a table behind you next to the vial you used, and the charge pharmacist will come by and check your calculation, the vial, and the label; initial it, send it on its way. (It's really a lot more complex than what I just said, but it'll give you some idea of what it's like)

Repeat a couple of hundred times till it's time to leave ;)

smaller departments just skip all that and send the drugs to be mixed by the nurses hehe.

Sure, at a ~100 bed (or less) facility, they probably don't have a full time, fully staffed pharmacy. My hospital has ~700 beds. The IV room also does compounding of cytotoxic (chemotherapy) IVs, and TPNs (Total Parenteral Nutrition).

heh, try a 400 bed facility. when i say the size of the department i mean the pharmacy department which does not always correlate to the size of the institution as a whole.
chemo and TPN of course has to be done in the pharmacy but pretty much everything else is fair game. that is not to say that it's good practice or anything, but sometimes financial and other logistical considerations take over.
as for the clothing requirements that also depends on the institutions. some are dressed up like deep water divers, and some dont even take their watches off :eek: esp if supervision is lacking.