Any suggestions on memorizing muscles??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBmatty08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was just wondering if anyone had some good ways to remember origin, insertion, action, nerve supply and blood supply for all the muscles. Books, websites, mnemonics, or anything that can help with this. Thanks and I hope y'all are getting along well in school.

Members don't see this ad.

well some of them have mnemonics have you tried http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/ They tend to have some pretty good stuff. Sometimes you just have to bear down and memorize though my man.

DMBmatty08 said:
Hey y'all,

I was just wondering if anyone had some good ways to remember origin, insertion, action, nerve supply and blood supply for all the muscles. Books, websites, mnemonics, or anything that can help with this. Thanks and I hope y'all are getting along well in school.

Chung's Gross Anatomy, 4th Edition

Members don't see this ad :)
easiest suggestion I can make is read your netters....your rohens....and get the main ones down for that region you are currently studing.

Then cover the answers up and repeat it back to yourself. There are even CD's or websites that offer visual tests. I did this over and over until I know what in gods name I looked at.

Then I went to the cadaver lab (yes even late at night) and I went over every structure I was suppose to know and repeated that until I knew what in hell I was looking at there....

then after learning that stuff...you can make sure you knew all innervations and motions.

If you know the action, the origin and insertion make a lot more sense. Just visualize the muscle contracting and see what it does to the joint, or two attachment points.

Innervation usually makes sense too if you can visualize where the nerves are coming from and where they go. Often the names of the nerve goes with the mm anyway. Same thing with blood supply. Draw a tree diagram with the main vessels and branches and write the mm names next to the branches. Works for nerves too.

The absolute worst way to do it (I know because I tried) is to memorize by rote or use just mnemonics, or, god forbid, memorize a chart!

Following up on what Sophie has said....

Knowing what each action looks like helps piece the puzzle together. Sounds simple enough but it is oft neglected.

hudsontc said:
Following up on what Sophie has said....

Knowing what each action looks like helps piece the puzzle together. Sounds simple enough but it is oft neglected.

To follow up even more....I suggest getting into lifting weights....it will help visualize, and understand action, which as posted above helps with O/I. Always amazes me that premed and med students cant grasp this concept.
stomper

That's actually a really good idea about lifting weights.

If only I'd thought of that in my first year...I might be, like, totally buff by now.