Any Texans in Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YupGypsy

Banne*d for Tr*olling
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be driving from the Bush International Airport to an interview in in Galveston on a weekday. Is there a lot of traffic? I have only two hours to make it in for registration.

Members don't see this ad.

Without traffic, you'll make IAH to Galveston in about 75 minutes. You'll probably face some traffic before you pass Houston, but after that the drive won't be terrible. You should be able to make it in 2 hours, but you'll be cutting it a bit close with traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends what time you are driving. I left Houston at 3:30 pm and go to Galveston at 6:00!!!!!!!!!!

It was drizzling and it took forever to get out of Houston.

uhhh 2 hours is cutting it really really close. assuming you're trying to get there by 8 or 9 in the morning (don't know what time UTMB registration starts), traffic on 59S and then 45S will be insane. you'd have to be incredibly lucky, and even then, it'll be cutting it really close. not trying to stress you out, but with recent slows in air travel and the traffic in houston, i'm praying for you.

uhhh 2 hours is cutting it really really close. assuming you're trying to get there by 8 or 9 in the morning (don't know what time UTMB registration starts), traffic on 59S and then 45S will be insane. you'd have to be incredibly lucky, and even then, it'll be cutting it really close. not trying to stress you out, but with recent slows in air travel and the traffic in houston, i'm praying for you.

Fair enough; that's a much better way of stating my "bit close"

If I were you, I'd try to get in the night before in order to avoid traffic related stress before the interview.

g'luck!

registration starts at 8:30 and the car rental place doesn't open until 6:30 am (and that's assuming I get my car instantaneously), this is unrealistic, huh? Dang, I was hoping I wouldn't have to miss two days of work that's why I wanted to catch a Red-Eye flight

Houston residents, would he/she have better luck with Beltway 8 at that time of the day? Yes, its a little bit roundabout, but it is a toll road, and 59 to 45 would be like committing traffic suicide at that time of the day. Once you get through Houston, OP, it should be pretty much smooth sailing to Galveston (takes like 1/2 hour once you get past NASA. I was flirting with afternoon rush hour at approx. 3:30 when I went to Galveston, and hit a solid wall of traffic near downtown, and sporadic traffic down to NASA.)

Houston residents, would he/she have better luck with Beltway 8 at that time of the day? Yes, its a little bit roundabout, but it is a toll road, and 59 to 45 would be like committing traffic suicide at that time of the day. Once you get through Houston, OP, it should be pretty much smooth sailing to Galveston (takes like 1/2 hour once you get past NASA. I was flirting with afternoon rush hour at approx. 3:30 when I went to Galveston, and hit a solid wall of traffic near downtown, and sporadic traffic down to NASA.)
taking the beltway is an option, but it's hugely roundabout. i wouldn't suggest that one either because it also can get backed up and will take twice as long to traverse. i think if you get the rental right at 6:30AM, traffic won't be too bad and you'll be past the huge jams from 59 to NASA-ish on 45 by the time they pack up. so you should be fine.

i'd still see if you can get there the night before and shell out $50 or so for a motel room, but if not, i think you'll be ok. make sure you plot the directions to UTMB carefully as that area can be sorta confusing. good luck.

I think I'll opt for the motel stay just in case. I've been trying to save up as many vacation/sick days as possible.