Omidjoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
I am currently attending The University of Texas at Arlington and i am on the verge of Transferring to the University of Texas at Austin in the fall of 05... everybody keeps telling me to stay at UT-Arlington because they are a "reputable school" for pre-med, but for some reason i dont believe them... if anyone has any input as to whether or not this is true or just some sort of myth please let me know.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Omidjoon said:
I am currently attending The University of Texas at Arlington and i am on the verge of Transferring to the University of Texas at Austin in the fall of 05... everybody keeps telling me to stay at UT-Arlington because they are a "reputable school" for pre-med, but for some reason i dont believe them... if anyone has any input as to whether or not this is true or just some sort of myth please let me know.
Only stay at UT-A if you think you can get a significantly higher gpa there than you would at UT-Austin. If nothing else, wouldn't you much rather be in Austin?

AsianDoc816

A marathon, not a race.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
San Antonio / Sugar Land, TX
Status
Stay where you think you'll perform the best academically. UT-Austin definitely has the reputation, but I don't think it made THAT much of a difference in my application. The Texas schools do a good job of accepting applicants from a number of different schools throughout the state. True, the Texas medical schools usually have a 20% makeup of UT-Austin students, but then again, there are do many darn pre-meds here that it's exactly what you'd expect. Just my 2 cents....good luck to you!

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
If you want to attend medical school in Texas, I don't think it matters where you attend college. Outside Texas...maybe. Ultimately, it's about hard work and being well-rounded.

Financially speaking...How much will it cost you? Is that really worth it?

Talk to Arlington's premed office/prehealth committee...find out their success rates in placing students in med school. Look for Arlington students on the med school's Texas Match list 2005. I know San Antonio's is up (don't the website). Maybe you can e-mail these students to find out what made them successful.

Is it Mateo da Spy or Mate o' da Spy? Just curious.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Omidjoon said:
I have 2 classmates from UT-Arlington, and I'm in an out-of-state school. Both of them and I (Baylor) are the only 3 Texans in my class. (My school only accepts 10 people from out of state.)

cluelesspremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Omidjoon said:
Hey I'm a student at UT-Austin and while I'm sure the education you would get at UT-A is just as good as the one you get here (it's what you take out of it that counts in the end), one thing to consider is extracirricular oppurtunities. UT-Austin will provide you endless oppurtunities to get involved on campus in whatever it is that interests you, and that's something I'm not too sure many smaller schools can offer...just my 2 cents hope it helps!

UT_mikie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I may have miscounted by a few, but in the UT Houston 2005 entering class there are 2 people from UT Arlington and 49 from UT Austin. I think the odds are in your favor if you go to Austin.

Ylime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Status
UT_mikie said:
I may have miscounted by a few, but in the UT Houston 2005 entering class there are 2 people from UT Arlington and 49 from UT Austin. I think the odds are in your favor if you go to Austin.
One of the reasons there are only 3 people from UT Arlington and there are 49 from UT Austin is because so many people from Austin apply to med school. I went to UT Arlington and I knew of maybe 10-15 other people applying this year for med school. I got interviews to Texas schools and out of state, and to be honest with you the out of state schools haven't even acknowleged which UT I am at. My name tags just said University of Texas. So it seems that, to out of staters, it's just one university system with none of the branches standing out expecially. I don't know how much better off you'd be in Austin, as I didn't go there. But I definitely don't think being from UT Arlington will affect you negatively in the application process.

LanceP97

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Nederland, Texas
Visit site
Status
Another thing to consider is how well you'll know the people who write your recommendation letter. I went to Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas and got to know all my professors really well. The benefits show when they write the recommendation letter on a personal level. At Lamar (which is only about 11,000 students) there is an acceptance rate of over 80% into med school.

adiddy1422

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
Status
Ylime said:
One of the reasons there are only 3 people from UT Arlington and there are 49 from UT Austin is because so many people from Austin apply to med school. I went to UT Arlington and I knew of maybe 10-15 other people applying this year for med school. I got interviews to Texas schools and out of state, and to be honest with you the out of state schools haven't even acknowleged which UT I am at. My name tags just said University of Texas. So it seems that, to out of staters, it's just one university system with none of the branches standing out expecially. I don't know how much better off you'd be in Austin, as I didn't go there. But I definitely don't think being from UT Arlington will affect you negatively in the application process.
I definitely agree, I also attended UT Arlington and had alot of success during the application process. I too applied to many out of state schools and most did not specify which UT school I attended. So I would say it probably doesn't matter where you go but how you perform.

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I'm down at UT-Austin, if you want research then I'd suggest coming down here. I suppose you're a big fish in the small pond up at UTA, and it's like the damn pacific ocean for premeds here in Austin. But I'm sure you'll do fine wherever you go as long as you enjoy it.

Added bonus is 6th street w/ all the ladiezzz