Any thoughts about Des Moines University ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmed_99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

what do u think? i looked at their statistics. they have a 25% chance accpetance rate, which is highest by far of the DO schools. the average mcat scores is 24. the incoming student gpa is a 3.43. they accept much more out of state applicants than in-state. they have relatively few minorities (about 10%). i want to go to medical school badly. my numbers arent great by any stretch of the imagination. i would love to go to any DO school, but i want to know if there is any catch with this school

Questions:

1. is this a quality school?
2. can any current students comment on this? 3. why is the admission standards so low?
is it because few people want to go to DO school in iowa?
4. can u get into this school with a 21 mcat (8-bio, 7-physical, 6 verbal), 3.33 cum biomedical engineering degree, 3.36 science gpa? plus, i am asian.

the numbers seem perplexing to me. i welcome any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I know how you feel. I was rejected to every school I applied to last year myself. I wish I could tell you that your GPA and MCAT was enough to get you an interview at an osteopathic school, but you just never know. The odds are stacked a bit against you, but you'll never know if you don't apply and find out. My advice is to apply and see what happens. If they all reject you so be it. It just means you have more improving to do before you get accepted.

If you really want to be a doctor I am confident you WILL be one. So apply and see what happens. If you are rejected then you'll just have to try again.

My best advice... Get that MCAT to a 24+ and then you'll be in MUCH better shape for osteopathic medical school. I do mean MUCH too.

Take Care.

Originally posted by bmed_99:

what do u think? i looked at their statistics. they have a 25% chance accpetance rate, which is highest by far of the DO schools. the average mcat scores is 24. the incoming student gpa is a 3.43. they accept much more out of state applicants than in-state. they have relatively few minorities (about 10%). i want to go to medical school badly. my numbers arent great by any stretch of the imagination. i would love to go to any DO school, but i want to know if there is any catch with this school

Questions:

1. is this a quality school?
2. can any current students comment on this? 3. why is the admission standards so low?
is it because few people want to go to DO school in iowa?
4. can u get into this school with a 21 mcat (8-bio, 7-physical, 6 verbal), 3.33 cum biomedical engineering degree, 3.36 science gpa? plus, i am asian.

the numbers seem perplexing to me. i welcome any comments.

------------------
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. --Eleanor Roosevelt."

"God bless us everyone" --Tiny Tim.

W.U.A.S.

Despite DMU's excellent reputation and long history, many premeds neglect to apply to the school since Iowa is a state that many would consider to be a first or a tenth place to live in. As a result, their is a semi-limited applicant pool for adcoms to choose from.
(DMU is one of the best kept secrets!)

Members don't see this ad :)
what were ur undergraduate stats? how are the facilities and professors? thanks for your previous post.

I replied to your question in the osteopathic board. I have not yet started school. I applied to solely osteopathic schools because I believe in the philosophy and I feel it is where my calling is. If you wish to inquire further you may send me a personal message at my e-mail. Best of luck, and if you wish to help people and to make a contribution to others, you are a wonderful person.

MCAT - 30
GPA ~ 3.33 Both sci and non-sci

Some of the buildings are kinda old, but a cadaver is a cadaver is a cadaver.

School is what you make it.

The school is fine.

Hi. I'm a second year med student at Des Moines University and am glad to put my 2 cents worth in about the school.

Firstly, I'll second the opinion that DMU is one of Iowa's best kept secrets. This, however, does not apply on rotations. DMU is well known throughout the medical field for it's Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, one of the hallmarks of a DO.

Secondly, don't let the high acceptance rate kid you, it's still a medical school and just as difficult as any of the rest. Add to this the fact that DMU has the longest ciriculum for the first year. So, while the rest of the schools are out for the summer, we're still studying our butts off. As for the high acceptance rate, I'll reference what the Dean said when I had my interview, "the reason so many people are offered a chance at one of the 200 DO seats is that many, if not all, of those students are also selected at other medical schools." Does this mean my school is skimming the bottom of the barrel? NOT! Our students have to pass the same boards that everone else does to get that golden DO after their name.

Thirdly, if osteopathic manipulation interests you, I highly recommend DMU. We've finished first 3 years running for board scores on the national boards. Every student who completes their first year is able to give a full body treatment.

So, what's the downfall, right? EACH school has their own problems and quirks. I would be lying if I said my school didn't have any. Also, each school has a subject area that they have allocated resources and funds to and, as such, as very good at. We don't have internet hookups in the lecture halls. You can't download your lecture notes at the end of the day. Some teachers even still use poorboy overheads. Maybe, we're not as hi-tech as MSU or the like, but we do have redeaming qualities, like giving a person a chance.

The school is a private school, so the minority ratio may not be that of a public institution. Looking around my class, though, I can't see that. We have people from all sorts of walks-of-life. Not one of our stories of how we got there is the same. And our class is as unique as the DO 2003 class of UHS or OU or MSU.

Since you're interested in scores (a minor part of your application), my GPA was a 3.14 cum and MCAT scores of 24 and an o on the essays. Do these scores accurately give a picture of me? Nope, they just helped open the door and get me an interview. Once I got there, I had to sell myself to them just like at any other institution of medicine.

So, all propaganda aside, should you consider DMU? That depends on you. But, I'd at least look into us. You might find you love it out here when you come for the interview (as I did) or you might not. But, at least you'll never be able to say, "what if...." Good luck in the future.

Jason

DMU is definately a GREAT school!! Some of the averages may be on the lower side - but that does not reflect the kind of education you are going to get here at Des Moines. DMU just looks at your whole application - not just your numbers - this is true! (unlike other schools that I know) DMU is probably the best school for OMT - they repeatedly tell students that if you are not interested in it that DMU is not the place for you - because you will be expected to know it - WELL! Best of luck!

Are you planning on re-taking the MCAT? I hear that taking the initiative to improve your application looks good to the admissions committee, ...to show that you want it more than the other "joe" sitting back hoping that their current application will make it.

Best of luck!

Has anyone done their DMU clincal rotations in Ohio. They participate in Ohio's CORE consortium. From what I understand, it is a rather solid group of 15 osteopathic hospitals. Any thoughts or opinions?

I personally know many students from DMU who have and who are going to do their clinical rotations in Ohio. The ones who did loved it, the ones who are going to loved it.

I am a 2000 grad from Des Moines. I am at Henry Ford/Bi-county doing a transitional year intership. Currently I am applying through ERAS for internal medicine.
I am leaving the Osteopathic world for two reasons. First although the first two years at Des Moines were very good, the second two were so poor I am embarrassed to say I attended this school. As a third and fourth year student I had no contact with the school. They had no idea if I was learning or not. We had no tests to take and many of our rotations were poor.
Second, Osteopathic graduate education for the most part not on the same level as alliopathic. I can't say this about every program but I have been to several hospitals in Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio. The problem is that the people that are doing the teaching for the most part are not paid.
Some part of me is sad about having to leave. I wish things were different, but I must get the best education I can.

that last post was very concerning....all of the other posts were very positive and then BANG!

I hope this helps. I was at DMU for a couple of days, but thankfully received word that I was accepted into an allopathic school. I'll be very honest and will not try to offend anyone, but the truth is MD is a preference and DO is the alternative. DMU has a lot of tradition. With it being a private school, I was surprised not to see a lot of diversity. Don't let the numbers fool you. The majority of the students I encountered were from small schools of Iowa, schools I've never heard of. The class size was big and predominantly white. Very few minorites.
I've talked to many DOs practicing now. They say if you want to specialize such as surgery, you're "SOL." But primary care is a differnt story. Don't let anyone here tell you different. When they say you can go anywhere and do anything, they mean as long as you stay within osteopathy (i.e doing an osteopathic residency).