Any thoughts about the University of Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxbound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, thinking about applying there. Anyone who goes there, your responses would be most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i worked with an intern that went there. he said that the school has a great pharmacy and is very competitve to get in. g'luck with application. you should apply early

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of applying to U of Washington but i just read on their website that you need to have all of your prerequisites finished by Spring 2006. Since I need to take summer classes I guess that school is out for me!

It's a good school.

Applying early will possibly get you an earlier interview, but won't increase your chance of getting an interview. Our admissions are not rolling. The school waits until all the apps are together to decide who to interview. Then, they do all the interviews, come together as a team, and decide who to offer admission to, who to waitlist, and who not to offer admission to. A few candidates who are very good will get selected for early interviews and possibly be offered admission earlier than the rest of the applicants. Usually that happens to less than 10 people per application cycle.

Whether or not you get an interview depends mostly on GPA, PCAT score, and recommendation strengths. Our average entering GPA is typically about 3.6-3.7, so it's not a good bet for someone with a lower end GPA, although we do have a few lower GPA candidates accepted. Last year's low was 3.09 per PharmCAS. I had a 3.69 and 99 PCAT and had to apply a second time around. You have to nail the interview, which I didn't the first time.

I can answer any specific questions if you want to post them.

- Anna :)

...yeah, probably won't be applying there, afterall. My stats are really bad. Not to mention that I am out-of-state (live in Arkansas).
But, thanks for answering the question. I can save money that way! :)

RxBound,
I'm applying to UW too and I'm also an out of state applicant (Texas). I called the UW-School of Pharmacy and was able to talk to someone and I asked her what was the percentage of out of state applicants being accepted into UW-SOP was; I was expecting 15-20% but it was actually 40%! I was about to stop all this pharmcas stuff b/c I started doubting my chances since I was from Texas but after she told me that, I'm def. sending in my application.

40%!!!! Wow, that is alot. Now I am beginning to reconsider the whole thing....I would love to go to school there!

I'm a first year student from California. Many of my classmates are from different states (one is from Guam). I had really crappy PCAT scores and the mean GPA. I think what got me the interview was my experience and my personal statement. You've got to really nail the essay to be noticed if your stats aren't up to par. What got me in was my interview.

Interviewers are very nice but interview can be a little intense since there are usually 3 interviewers. If you really want to go to UW, I would suggest getting a few interviews under your belt to build some confidence in your answers. My first pharmacy school interview did not go too well. I learned my lesson the second time around.

I am sooooooooooo happy that I chose UW instead of the other pharmacy schools I applied to. Staff is very friendly and very supportive. No offense, but in my personal experience, I did not feel that way about a few of the pharmacy schools in California. Nothing really bad, they were just not as welcoming as the UW staff. There are so many opportunities available in the state of WAshington and since UW is very close to downtown Seattle, you have the opportunity to intern at 3 top notch hospitals in the northwest (including others outside of Seattle). Many of these hospitals offer outpatient and inpatient experiences, including compounding. Plus, being so close to downtown, there's a night life out here.

Hope I swayed you guys in one way or another. Good luck!

bananaface said:
It's a good school.

Applying early will possibly get you an earlier interview, but won't increase your chance of getting an interview. Our admissions are not rolling. The school waits until all the apps are together to decide who to interview. Then, they do all the interviews, come together as a team, and decide who to offer admission to, who to waitlist, and who not to offer admission to. A few candidates who are very good will get selected for early interviews and possibly be offered admission earlier than the rest of the applicants. Usually that happens to less than 10 people per application cycle.

Whether or not you get an interview depends mostly on GPA, PCAT score, and recommendation strengths. Our average entering GPA is typically about 3.6-3.7, so it's not a good bet for someone with a lower end GPA, although we do have a few lower GPA candidates accepted. Last year's low was 3.09 per PharmCAS. I had a 3.69 and 99 PCAT and had to apply a second time around. You have to nail the interview, which I didn't the first time.

I can answer any specific questions if you want to post them.

- Anna :)

Out of curriosity, what didn't you "nail" in the first interview? I am just wondering if there's anything I should be more prepaired for...

You rrrrrrrrrrrrreally have to be yourself. I know that doesn't really help any, but you get a feel for how you sell yoruself after you have a few interviews. Here is an example of why things went wrong for me on my first interview.

I did a lot of research and I realized that the school that I was applying to was heavy on the biotech industry. I thought I'd bank this interview because I was taking a biotech course at the time. I think I was too overly confident about what I knew about the industry, but in actuality, I didn't know much (plus, the industry didn't really spark my interest at all). So, when I went to the interview, I tried to impress them with what I knew and how I was "interested" in pursuing those goals. I was basically trying to talk out of my butt, and the interviewers could tell.

When I was done with the interview, they said to me "well you obviously know what you are getting into." I thought that was a good thing, but the more I thought about it, I think I did way too much research on things.

I think the thing to remember is that, although you should know about the industry and the profession itself, the focus of your interview is not how much you know about pharmacy, but more about yourself and what you can contribute to the profession.

That's what I mean by, be yourself.

beccala33 said:
Out of curriosity, what didn't you "nail" in the first interview? I am just wondering if there's anything I should be more prepaired for...
I asked for feedback, but didn't really get anything that I feel is pertinent. It was my first interview. It may have just been practice. It's all about selling yourself. There is no room for modesty.

No one in my particular class is from Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho, as far as I know. Alot of people are from the other Western states, though, especially California.

We are back to a class size of 86 now. The year before last we upped it to 94, after the state gave us yet more special funding. It got really hard on the lab instructors, so we went back to 86 as the entering class size again. It'll stay that way until the legislature stops accomodating our requests for extra funds. The base funding level is 78 students.

Tuition is on the rise. It's 12K/year now and was 9K/year when I started. The people 2 years ahead of me paid like 6K/year to start.