Any thoughts about White Memorial Family Med Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simian32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about White Memorial Family Medicine Residency Program in Los Angeles? I am debating between USC Family Medicine, California Hospital Family Medicine, UCLA Family Medicine and White Memorial Family Medicine.... How would you rank these programs and why?

Members don't see this ad.

ucla and white memorial are EXTREMELY more reknown than USC or California Hospital. USC pretty much has only FMGs. California Hospital, although they have very good OB numbers and pretty good inpatient training, seems to fill with DOs and FMGs. They also have some turnover among their faculty which has hopefully resolved. UCLA and White Memorial are filled with hard-working knowledgable residents and attendings, most of whom are MDs. Everybody knows that if you go to White Memorial you will have good training and, more importantly, care about the indigent patient. Spanish at all four of these programs will definately be an asset. Good luck.

ucla and white memorial are EXTREMELY more reknown than USC or California Hospital. USC pretty much has only FMGs. California Hospital, although they have very good OB numbers and pretty good inpatient training, seems to fill with DOs and FMGs. They also have some turnover among their faculty which has hopefully resolved. UCLA and White Memorial are filled with hard-working knowledgable residents and attendings, most of whom are MDs. Everybody knows that if you go to White Memorial you will have good training and, more importantly, care about the indigent patient. Spanish at all four of these programs will definately be an asset. Good luck.

dont forget, there are also a good # of DOs at white mem...

Just wondering about a rumor I heard a few months back... a Family Med resident in the Los Angeles area was telling me that she had been VERY impressed by the White Memorial family med program when she interviewed there, but ultimately ranked another program higher because she had heard there was some "instability" at the White Memorial program in terms of its funding. She went so far as to suggest that I should be very cautious about trying to match there, since "it would be terrible to be at a program that can't guarantee support for all 3 years."

So, does anybody know if this is true? Or should I even listen to her? I am set on family med, want to be in SoCal, and White Memorial was at the top of my list based on its reputation. I will be applying this next year to start in 2008-09 and I'm trying to figure out which programs I am most interested in (to see about doing a rotation there.) Any info you have would be appreciated.