Any thoughts on Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think of Cornell? How do they do PBL? What do you like/dislike about the place?

Members don't see this ad.

bump...

what are everyone's thoughts on Cornell? the PBL curriculum?
and the students there?

Members don't see this ad :)
there was an earlier thread about this, but I loved Cornell. Their students are really chill, their facilities are the best I've ever seen for a med school lecture hall...reminds me of the law school at stanford and USC. Their hospitals are amazing. They provide funding for international and volunteer activities...the only school that I've visited so far that provides direct funding through the student council, rather than sending you to tertiary fund distributors...the location is excellent - upper east side. What more could you ask for? oh yea, the PBL is really cool too. They have lectures for a lot of the fundamental stuff, but most of your time is spend in the PBL rooms...really nice. Apparantly, it seems to be working pretty well because they do pretty well on the boards and they retain the information better due to active learning. i've already sent my LOI there, cuz it's a pimp institution.

finnpipette,

do you know how much time students spend in lectures per week? and how many hours in pbl?

Originally posted by medhopeful08
finnpipette,

do you know how much time students spend in lectures per week? and how many hours in pbl?
http://edcenter.med.cornell.edu/courses/firstyear/mtc/schedule.pdf

For your general viewing, here's a copy of the schedule for our last module. we're out by 1pm pretty much everyday, except the one day a week we have clinical preceptor which will take up most of your afternoon. we have pbl mon, weds, fri for 1 hour and 20 minutes each session, and the rest of the time are primarily lectures and some small group conferences.

i gotta head out to a concert, but insofar, my thoughts on cornell= :love: i will expound later :)

Go Big Red!!! I had a blast at my Cornell interview, and I would love to stay at Cornell, but...:(

There is something called US News and World Report. If you're not in the top ten, it unfortunately just doesn't cut it. It's just like those penis size surveys.

I think that my educational experience at Cornell is great, but I always have people throwing up at me the fact that "...and it just isn't in the top ten." And they're right. It sucks. :(

SnS is definitely the best troll i have ever seen on a forum.

I actually read his first sentence and thought he was going to say something good about Cornell...:)

There is something called US News and World Report.... It's just like those penis size surveys.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-Ice

I've heard its a better place to do a residency than medical school because all of the patients are rich private patients who won't let med students touch them.
Has anyone else heard this?

Originally posted by prmd4555
I've heard its a better place to do a residency than medical school because all of the patients are rich private patients who won't let med students touch them.
Has anyone else heard this?

well, I've heard it (I'm a student at Cornell). However, Cornell has the whole range of medical sites where they send students - from cutting edge hospitals only doing state of the art procedures, to small family practice offices in the Bronx to clinics serving exclusively Spanish speaking immigrants to big public hospitals. So I would say you would have nothing to worry about with your clinical experience here.

I and others (eg edfig99 who was a student here and is now graduated and did residency at Columbia) have commented on this at length before.

For example check out the threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=964817&highlight=Cornell#post964817

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=710440&highlight=Cornell#post710440

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
There is something called US News and World Report. If you're not in the top ten, it unfortunately just doesn't cut it. It's just like those penis size surveys.

That's very creative...ever consider being a freelance writer for magazines such as Maxim?

Originally posted by tBw
well, I've heard it (I'm a student at Cornell). However, Cornell has the whole range of medical sites where they send students - from cutting edge hospitals only doing state of the art procedures, to small family practice offices in the Bronx to clinics serving exclusively Spanish speaking immigrants to big public hospitals. So I would say you would have nothing to worry about with your clinical experience here.

I and others (eg edfig99 who was a student here and is now graduated and did residency at Columbia) have commented on this at length before.

hey tBw.... how YOU doin'? Haven't come across one of your posts in a while. hope you're havin' a good time on the east side.

to the OP, it's not only RICH people at Cornell's hospital. It's a very common misconception. And you rotate all over the city anyway (it's required) so you get the best of all worlds. Check out Sir tBW's links above. They're on point.

-ed

Originally posted by edfig99
ah yes, DW always working hard. ;)
I have to get all my partying out of my system before human structure and function in january ;)