any thoughts on doctor bags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ball372

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a medical bag with padded pockets and stuff for the expensive equipment that we had to buy. Any thoughts on specific models, etc? thanks!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely no one carries a doctor's bag (well, except for neurologists) and I imagine there is a reason. All of the equipment you really need (Stethescope, reflex hammer, filament, and a pocket otoscope) you can carry on your person.

Panda Bear said:
Absolutely no one carries a doctor's bag (well, except for neurologists) and I imagine there is a reason. All of the equipment you really need (Stethescope, reflex hammer, filament, and a pocket otoscope) you can carry on your person.

you mean in your pocket?! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes in your pocket. You won't need a bag. Don't waste your money.

Don't get a bag. Try some thick coke bottle glasses instead.
I had an 1930's doctor's bag for awhile sitting in my house along w/ other interesting medical relics; but I've never seen anyone use one since Marcus Welby.

Actually, I know of several docs who use them - they are private & small group practice family med and internal med docs who do home visits to elderly & disabled. However, I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you know for certain that you'll need it.

I'm hoping I get some use out of mine; my father-in-law just gave me one for Christmas, and I was quite touched by the gift, which he probably couldn't really afford. So sweet...

Since I am interested in pediatrics, I was given a metal lunch box to use as my Dr. bag. It has Scooby-Doo on it. I thought it was a great idea for a pediatrician.

okay, okay. i get it. nix the doctor bag. thanks guys.

However, man-bags are in. I suggest something black and stylish for both work and play. Women have had purses for so long...now it's our turn to shine. Go ahead brother, carry that moisturizer!

I got a red leather bag to match my red assless chaps that I wear to class and preceptor...

and around the house...

:cool: