Any thoughts on how to get clinical/non clinical vol hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowfighty

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows when things will start lifting and hospital volunteer/clinic volunteer programs will open up again, they certainly aren't in my area. Is there any creative way to help out at all or should I simply keep waiting? I've gathered some very small numbers on shadowing, around 8hrs from helping out in an OR from a job I had previously and some weaker numbers on nonclinical volunteering, I was really using my 1st year of college to just acclimate. I have another 1 1/2-2 years before applying but I don't want to sit around and do nothing and have nothing when the time comes. I've looked on the AAMC's website and it only has info for the current application cycle, same for the main college's I want to apply to/that are in my area, and the information is mainly focused on the MCAT which I'm not taking for another year or so.
Anyways, any ideas are greatly appreciated, my other premed friends are wondering what they could be doing during this time as well! On top of focusing on school of course.

Members don't see this ad.

For non-clinical:
crisis text line
various other online volunteering
tons of options on there, just start looking
picking up groceries / running errands for those at risk

Clinical is going to be much harder to find right now. ADCOMs are aware that clinical activities have shut down. You can do some non-clinical stuff that has some medical connections:
video chatting with folks at nursing homes / hospice
I'm sure there are other things, but the point is ADCOMs understand and what to see that you have done something to help your fellow humans during these trying times.

Reactions: 1 user
Time to start getting creative. Many pre meds will approach their activities like "What's the thing I'm supposed to do?" Well that's not much of an option right now. If you really want to stand out, think up a way you can help out right now. Go beyond the "right answer" mindset and find something specific to your area.

Reactions: 1 user