any thoughts on NYU and Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arkadeb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide if I like NYU or Einstein better. NYU is hella good in Manhattan w/Bellevue. Einstein seems so chill.
Both awesome.

Any insights, contrasting the two?

Current students at the schools, please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

what's the problem?

NYU is a better choice. Better school. Better location. Better match list. Better reputation.

good luck

I tend to favor NYU as well which enjoys a much better location, regardless of what Einstein tries to pass off as a "nice" area of the Bronx, and an overall better reputation nationally (at least in my mnd).

That's not to say that Einstein is anything to sneeze at. It's an excellent school, but their match list doesn't really seem to compare to NYU's.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a fine career. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Far and away. Better school and location.

For everyone I know that had this choice, location was a big decision-maker. Do you want a school that's right smack in the action, or do you want to live somewhere that's less intense, yet still close to the action? I chose the second one, but that's just me.

As far as better school, reputation, etc at NYU, it's simply not true. As much as NYU students like to argue otherwise, you're not going to have an advantage getting into any residency program coming from one over the other (except at their own hospitals). If one person from NYU and another from Einstein applied for the same residency spot at Mass. General, with the same grades and board scores, neither student would be at an advantage solely based on their school's reputation... if it were Columbia v. Einstein, different story.

The other factor I would take into consideration is lifestyle. As you mentioned, "Einstein seems so chill." That's because it is. We have large affordable apartments, we have a more laid-back schedule, there is hardly any competition between my classmates (yeah, P/F), and yet we still do well on the Boards and in matching.

Your decision is a tough one, but I think it comes down to one main question - Is where you live more important to you than your quality of life for the next four years? Talk to a few students at each school. Get a feel for who you think sounds happier with thier decision.

I concur with my classmate, as I also had the decision of staying on the NYU waitlist and attending Einstein. I didn't get into NYU off the waitlist, and while I was heavily weighing the option of being right in Manhattan had I had the option, I'm extremely happy with my decision to attend Einstein.

While NYU may be a more "recognizable" name nationally, I don't think it's any more reputable than Einstein. And no, I'm not just saying this because I'm a student here. That statement seems to be the consensus with several doctors with whom I've worked with inside and outside the NY area. It appears that Einstein has an inferior matchlist to NYU, but the impression is a result of many orthodox Jewish individuals and Einstein students themselves that choose to stay at Einstein affiliates or around NY rather than up and relocating themselves.

Einstein from my opinion has a very relaxed attitude. I visited NYU last year and have hung out with several of my friends and they complained about their classmates. They complain about the intensity, aggressiveness, and overally incapacity to help others.

I chose Einstein over other schools because I liked being away from the distraction of the city. Yes, sometimes it is inconvenient to take either a 35 minute Express bus ride or 40 minute subway ride, it's never really bothered me. I like the 30 minutes of down time just to have to myself. I think in another post, a student recalled his transit story and made it seem absolutely horrible. Einstein is served by the 2, 5, and 6 trains that are a 5-10 minute busride away. In addition, there is an express bus into the city. If you're out past midnight, you're usually with friends, and we just take a cab home, which has never been more than $7 if you know how to get home. I've even taken the subway with a group of friends at 3am and the walk is only 5-10 minutes.

Also, I have a car which has made it extremely convenient to get to the suburbs or other cities. I know if I were in the city, my 5 minute walk to Starbucks could easily turn into an hour walk to go shopping and I'm by no means a slacker, my friends will easily tell you that.

If you really want an opinion of the school, ask students, not a message board where you never know where the students have gone or the opinions they've obtained.

That being said, it's your decision not others, good luck!

hmm, i think the location of nyu is partially countered by the fact that einstein's housing rocks nyu's world :cool:

Originally posted by DW
hmm, i think the location of nyu is partially countered by the fact that einstein's housing rocks nyu's world :cool:

Yes, but NYU has cuter guys:D

I would choose NYU simply because of the various opportunies associated with its location. If you're bored, you could always go to a casting call, or engage in neat extra-curric like help work on a movie, or write for a magazine.....

I'm glad y'all are posting your thoughts. I would actually like to visit both places but I haven't gotten into Einstein and feel like I can't make the trip unless I get in.

In any case, thanks for your thoughts.

-Arka:)

In terms of reputation Einstein receives far more in NIH research funding than NYU,its MD-Phd program was one of the first nationally to be established and it is among the most highly regarded MSTPs. The matchlists for Einstein that I'v seen for the past couple of years are outstanding.I strongly doubt that any perceived differences are due to quality of the school.But as others have stated a Manhattan location will always win.Thats why the hospitals in rest of the NYC area are in much lower demand for residencies.

Originally posted by Dr. Kermit
I I think in another post, a student recalled his transit story and made it seem absolutely horrible. Einstein is served by the 2, 5, and 6 trains that are a 5-10 minute busride away. In addition, there is an express bus into the city. If you're out past midnight, you're usually with friends, and we just take a cab home, which has never been more than $7 if you know how to get home. I've even taken the subway with a group of friends at 3am and the walk is only 5-10 minutes.

Also, I have a car which has made it extremely convenient to get to the suburbs or other cities.

you are talking about me!!! :clap:
yes, having a car in the bronx is especially helpful for grocery shopping and hanging out. It is impossible to drive into the City however due to parking problem.

yes, there is no difference in reputation between NYU and Einstein.

That said, I did have a friend going to Einstein who felt that he was pressured to study because everyone else is doing so well! that happens at every school. I think it is less of a function of the school but how each individual handles pressure.

Also, I really don't like hanging out with fellow premed or med friends. Going into the City from Einstein apt. to meet my other friends was an ordeal to me. I did not enjoy having little flexibility past 8 or 9pm when some of my friends just got off work.

Originally posted by Dr. Kermit
I concur with my classmate, as I also had the decision of staying on the NYU waitlist and attending Einstein. I didn't get into NYU off the waitlist, and while I was heavily weighing the option of being right in Manhattan had I had the option, I'm extremely happy with my decision to attend Einstein.

how can you claim you made a decision when in fact a decision was made for you