Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any thoughts on St. George's University Medical School in the Caribbean?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doc4you, May 7, 2007.

1. doc4you

doc4you New Member

Post Doc
    Hi,

Anyone know what it's like here? How difficult is it to gain admittance? What do they look for in applicants? Is the training truly comparable to a US school?

Any insight would be great...thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gotmeds?

Medical Student
    Exactly how badly did you bomb the MCAT? Maybe you should consider a retake before going to the Caribbean.

4. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I don't think this is right place to ask, as you are likely to get a biased answer. Check out the Caribbean forum here on SDN and take a look at ValueMD.

5. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Most of your questions can be answered in great depth at www.valuemd.com

I am also considering the carribean also and still not sure what to do.

6. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Other Health Professions Student
    How's your credit rating? :smuggrin: [/sarcasm]

7. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

st george's is carribean ivy league, yo!

it's like Harvard with a beach.

8. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Doc4you, there are a lot of people who are going through same struggles as you. Don't take any knocks personally. Choosing to go to SGU is a major major step, make sure you are fully confident in whatever decision you make.

PM me if you want to discuss.

9. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    With the understanding that you'll be likely to get a biased answer there as well.

Folks on the IMG rah-rah that form of med school as much as folks in pre-allo turn their nose up at it. Balance views there with views here and you'll probably have something.

10. gotmeds?

Medical Student
    Hey, it wasn't a knock. I just noticed his other post on the MCAT forum. I think that if you have any shot at MD or DO, you should take it over the Caribbean.

11. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey didn't mean you :) I just have a feeling this thread will turn into another war soon bashing on the OP, so just wanted to warn him in advance :p

I can also relate to the OP since I have been the victim of a lot of critism, I don't have the greatest application :oops:

12. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

but it's not the worst, either. How many times have you applied?

13. sexyman

Medical Student
    I loved the video tour of SG on their website, looks like paradise. And seriously, it is one of the most respected caribean schools.

On SDN with the huge amounts of GPA and MCAT inflations it is easy to forget that 53% of physicians in the US are actually foreign trained. Like someone else said, I would go MD or DO here before I went to SG, but SG certainly does put out a lot of successful physicians.

14. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone know what it's like here?

I cant tell you, since I have never been there.

What do they look for in applicants?

http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/medsciences-admissions.html

Avg MCAT: 26, 8V, 9P, 9B
    Avg GPA: 3.4

There is a regional interview as well.

Is the training truly comparable to a US school?

US schools have more resources, affilitaitions, etc. Going to a US school will for the most part have superior training.

Going to SGU, you will have less opportunities for research, etc. Also, your clinicals wont be as good as US schools. The list goes on and on.

The debate will go on for a long time, this decision ultimately comes down to you and it your preferences.

15. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, its a long story. I have a few bumps in the road. I recently improved my MCAT, this is my fourth year in the process :oops: I interviewed a lot this year, and unfortunately on a bunch of wait lists. I wish I had applied to osteopathic schools, but I think wherever I end up going this fall or in the fall of '08 I will go in with a greater appreciation for medicine.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Agreed. I guess I didn't consider that initially, since I know what the pre-allo/pre-osteo view happens to be; not everyone has that information, however. So, good call, NDY. :thumbup:

18. arsenewenger

Post Doc

Revised

19. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student

Medical Student
    You should go to the carribean forum here or www.valuemd.com. It's not hard to get in since it's considered a 'last resort' for those that cant' get into med school in the US. They do succeed in sending people into residencies, but the attrition rate is high and it is not an 'easy' route into becoming a doctor because they won't give you shortcuts into residencies. Also, the vast majority of students end up in primary care so you will be restricted in where and what areas of speciality you can do. My suggestion is if you can afford to wait a year to improve your application, I think you should. Going carribean means extra hoops to jump through AFTER you get done with med school. I'd rather go through extra hoops BEFORE I get into med school rather than spend thousands and then do the extra legwork.

20. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    This is OT, but DVN, I hope this is the magic year for you. :luck:

21. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks spicedmanna, I really appreciate. I am getting used to reapplying though, it has become a part of my yearly routine. :oops:

22. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

2007 Postgraduate Training Match for SGUSOM

By John Madden, Emergency Physician and President, Medical and Dental Staff, Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Delaware

From USC to University of Massachusetts, LSU to Medical College of Wisconsin and Texas A&M to UMDNJ, St. George's University Medical School graduates once again achieved residency programs across the nation. In the largest match since 1952, 340 SGU students matched in a wide variety of residency programs. Once again, Internal Medicine was the largest percentage (33%), followed by Pediatrics (11%), with Family Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology with 9% each, and followed closely by General Surgery (8%), Emergency Medicine (7%) and Anesthesiology (6%). Two students matched in orthopedics (only 616 positions in the country) while five matched in physical medicine and rehabilitation that only has 78 spots nationwide. For the first year ever for SGUSOM, the number of students entering emergency medicine declined to 22. This decline demonstrates the increasing interest of all medical students in the field, making it more competitive.

Many SGUSOM Fourth Year medical students do not participate in the match, instead signing a contract "outside the match" or "pre-matching" allowing them to forgo match participation. This allows them to process any required visa applications earlier, perhaps arrange housing or make other plans well ahead of those who participate in the match program.

Overall, of those SGU students who were eligible to submit a rank order list in the match, 73% were successfully matched into a first and/or second year residency program. Worldwide, international medical students only match 50% of the time. If you were to remove SGU students from the overall figure, international medical student successful matching would decrease to 44%.

23. Sartre79

Resident [Any Field]
    Dr. Van...

You didn't get into a US allo school? I thought you would have been a shoe in.

24. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]

Hey Sartre, looks like you decided on Creighton, grats! :hardy:

I had a good amount of interviews this year, but so far luck has not been on my side. Im on a few waitlists, but my post-interview hold at RFU seems like my only legitimate shot.

Until then, I have to keep all options open.:oops:

25. Sartre79

Resident [Any Field]

Keep your head up...waitlists will start moving in a couple of weeks.

26. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]

27. GujuMD

GujuMD 1K member

Medical Student
    same here!....i am only a 2nd time reapp. but there is a lot of family pressure on me to move my life forward.

28. UIC Killa

UIC Killa EM ES ONE

Medical Student
    Hang on for DMU Guju, waitlists are very unpredictable no matter how late it is in the process (I have heard of some people getting the call in late June maybe even in July), my friend last year at CCOM for pharmacy was accepted like a few weeks before school started so there is hope...good luck:thumbup: