Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any thoughts on starting Physicial Therapy discussion under this forum?

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by coreyb, Sep 9, 2002.

1. coreyb

coreyb Dentist
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Any thoughts on starting a discussion under the allied health forum for Physical Therapy students/graduates? There's probably already discussion boards out there, but it would be nice to see one here too!

Physical therapy is a great allied health career, and it is seems like most programs out there are moving towards the D.P.T. (doctarate of phys. therapy) mind set and many are quite difficult to get into (though not as hard as MD/DO!!!)

Thanks!

Corey

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There was a PT forum, but discontinued probably due to poor response...or issues that really belonged on a forum for the APTA etc.

4. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Having a PT forum would be fine. Now that you bring up the doctorate debate though I think we might want to change gears. At least I do! I think it is absolutely absurd for PT programs to take the title and degree to the next level as a doctorate degree. What is it really going to gain a PT to have a doctorate? The same thing can be said about the PA profession which now has a doctorate as well. It only leads to ambiguity and will ultimately produce allied health providers who use the title "doctor". Its bad enough that Optometrists, and Chiropractors use the title of doctor because the average patient doesn't understand that the provider is not a physician. There have been doctorate level PA's for a long time but their degree has always been a doctorate in something else. When I was in PA school, we had 3 faculty members that you had to call Dr. whoever because one had an Ed.D, and two had Ph.Ds. The problem came when we made rounds with these guys and were never told to stop calling them by their titles. Thus, tons of patients heard the name Dr. whoever and probably thought they were in the presence of a physician. This is just wrong and will get even more out of hand if other professions start dishing out doctorates. The title of doctor should not be used for non-physicians outside of academia, even if the person has earned it. I just think the PT's ultimately want to be called Dr. and this is what will happen I guarantee. But hell, if we are going to call a chiropractor doctor we may as well call the paramedics and medical assistants doctor as well!!!

5. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the DPT is a CLINICAL doctorate and simply teaches the same curriculum (2 years) to those who have achieved a masters degree.
    As a former PT, I think that it hurts the profession and creates tension amung PT's trained at BS or MS levels...all of which take the exact same licensing exams and perform the same tasks.
    The DPT is essentially the same as a PharmD. And in NO WAY assumes the same responsibility as a Physician the practice of Therapy changes zilch.

For the interested reader, read my editorial at www.advanceforpt.com

6. PTjay

PTjay Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering if any PT students out there will be attending the Conclave in Alabama this October. I'll be there with a group from my school and would love to meet some new SPTs.