jowell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
having trouble deciding where to rank these two in regards to my list.
Any ideas? thanks

Chesney

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2004
Status
Hi, I dont know anything about Pittsburgh but I really liked the program in Gainesville. It seemed liked a great college town with great weather! The residents were nice and I liked the faculty I met. Morning report was interesting and I liked the idea of saving the discussions for later reference. The only concern I had was that it is a hospital within a hospital format, which was not really what I was looking for. Other then that though, I really liked it.

kas23

Registered Abuser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
I interviewed at Pitt and thought it was a good program. It has a great reputation, but I got the notion that this was the major reason why most residents chose Pitt. Nevertheless, they were awesome people and very down-to-earth. And I also got the impression they were overworked, from the fact that they are increasing their quota and from a past resident directly telling me this.

The hospital was old, but they are building a new one (actually renovating an old one to be a new one). I don't know if this would affect us.

About Pittsburgh, there is a nice thread somewhere else (in IM or gen res issues???) contrasting Pitt and Indy and this should give you a clue about the city. But, from what I saw, it looks like a nice city with a bunch of small neighborhoods that have their own flavor. And the commute wouldn't be that bad compared to some other cities.

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
FWIW, a 4th year said she worked harder on her peds SubI at Pitt than in surgery (this was however in deep winter). Another called the ER "intense". I'm sure it's an excellent experience though and I'm looking forward to going there in the next year. :)

btw, the new hospital definitely isn't ready yet (I can see the building from my current location), apparently there's been some construction holdups. So there won't be a change during your intern year at least...maybe 2nd or 3rd.

Edited to add - the commute isn't bad at all. In Pittsburgh everything seems to be 10 minutes away (just be sure to avoid tunnels!!!) and you can find a nice place in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Oakland's less recommended since it's less nice and full of undergrads. The downtown's not too happening, but Pitt is more about the different neighborhoods. I'm in Bloomfield (the Little Italy) which isn't ritzy, but I could eat at a different restaurant within walking distance every night for weeks. :)

chicubs1116

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
I will agree with the other people that the resdients seemed like they work hard, but where not super bothered by it. Also during my interview they said that they are increasing the number of each class by two, to have the workload be shared a little bit better. It seemed that the program dirtector was very flexible with what the residents wanted, a key in my book. I am personally ranking them in my top three.

bonjourkitty79

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
I interviewed here in December and was told that the new Children's Hospital will not be ready until 2008--so no, we would not experience it unless you stick around for a fellowship.

OP
J

jowell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
thanks so much everyone. I guess the decision will be made by tonight!