Any thoughts on UCSD Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking around for any updated information on UCSD and couldn't find much. Can anyone comment on the program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, if you are even remotely in serious consideration for any of the California programs, especially this one, consider yourself lucky. Very lucky.

-copro

I'm a surgery resident there, so I can't comment directly on the program. They all seem ridiculously happy though.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are ridiculously happy. Academically sound and stable. All paper charting like most of the CA schools (Irvine and UCSF have AIMS at this point.) Self-supported residency (if you miss a day, one of your friends has to cover for you.) Beautiful area.

Very light-hearted, jovial atmosphere-- but also very boys-club. Expect cussing in the break room, trash on the couch, ect. If you can't deal with a program that has only 3 chicks, and jokes about how those chicks are forced to watch football on their call nights, its probably not the right place for you.

And no, not everyone's a surfer-- but it helps. :)

From what I saw:

Good:
-Ridiculously happy, funny & smart residents
-Very good at what they do
-Amazing faculty, full of characters (Behumoff, Greenberg, Patel...etc)
-Good mix of cases
-Must learn to surf
-San Diego

Downside:
- Some residents seemed unhappy about logistics of the peds months
- Must learn to surf

Surfing is one of my hobbies, so it's an upside for me. Thanks for the rest of the info.

As I sit writing from Minnesota (-22 last night), all I can say is..

Dude, you get to live in southern California. Nothing more need be said.:laugh: