Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any thoughts on UOMHS -Iowa

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by trying2becomeMD, Oct 17, 2001.

1. trying2becomeMD

trying2becomeMD Senior Member

I just got an interview invite to the school. Still have 6 other school's secondaries to send, so I was very surprised of the news. (this school is not one of my top choices)

The interview date is Nov 11. That is only about 3 weeks away... And I have never traveled out of CA before in my life. Needless to say, I am nervous.

There aren't that many posts about UOMHS, and I read somewhere that the acceptance rate after interview is 94%.

I guess what I am wondering is whether there is a reason why not many are excited about this school? (since not much posts about this school) Also, since I have not yet send back secondaries to the schools I would like to attend (Touro and Western in CA) what should I do about this interview? Can I delay it?

I hope I am not offending anyone who are genuinely interested in attending DMU. Please understand that I am really confused about the application process at this point. I would really appreciate some feedback.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think DMU (Des Moines University) is a good school. In fact, it's one of my top choices. I think one of the reasons it's not a popular school is because of its location - it's in Iowa. Many people think Iowa is full of corn and beans. Well, I beg to differ. Southern Illinois is full of corn and beans. Des Moines is a robust city with stuff to do. I would be very excited if I were you. I mean, you're basically accepted! Just make sure you don't screw up your interview! :) I'd go on the interview regardless because of the high chance of acceptance. But, like you said, you're from California. You may not have much of an interest in moving to Iowa. I understand that because I'm sure I'd want the same thing. For me, moving to Des Moines would be like moving to the BIG CITY!! lol Seriously though, I'm used to the midwest life, so moving to Des Moines would be cool with me. I would imagine coming from California, on the other hand, would be somewhat of a culture shock. I'd recommend going to the interview if you have the resources to do so. Otherwise, try to postpone your interview in hopes of getting more invites. Man,...I'd sure love to have the security of knowing I got an interview at DMU. That would give me real piece of mind. But, that's just me. :)

Best of luck!

4. MedPuck

MedPuck Made

I interviewed at DMU on 9/28, and coming form Chicago I thought I was heading for the cornfields. Needless to say, I was impressed by the quality of the program, the friendliness of the students and yes, even Des Moines. It is a mid-sized modern city with plenty to do. I feel bad that I even stereotyped the city. I would recommend a visit on your interview date. The interview is as relaxed as they come and you are pretty much in already. I am still waiting to hear if I made the cut. Anyone else receive a decision after their interview?

5. EricOH

EricOH Member

Hey all,

I too was surprised/impressed by Des Moines. I thought it would be a small city, but it was a relatively good size. There are a couple (2 or 3) "skyskrapers" in downtown and some nice restaurants/bars.

The interview was very casual and friendly...no worries. I also interview on 9/28. Who were you MedPuck? I am Eric...cleveland...Asian guy ;) I haven't heard from them either. Anyways...

Good luck all and take care..

6. titan

titan Senior Member

trying2submit,

I interviewed at DMU last week. I went in with low expectations, but left very very impressed. Trust me, this IS a good school......you can just sense it when you're there. I really liked Des Moines (I never thought I would say that!), it is a great place to go to med school. Everyone I encountered was nice and genuinely interested in you for some reason or another. The city did not seem crowded at all, but still had tall buildings, good places to eat/drink, nice hotels, etc.

Go to your interview at DMU, you will not be disappointed!

tcom06

7. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member

I have an interview at DMU on 11/9 and one at NOVA on 11/2...Does anyone have experience with NOVA interviews? I hear they are panel interviews.

8. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have an interview at DMU on 11/16/01. I'm looking forward to seeing the campus and getting the feel of the school...
    I currently live 10 minutes outside of Washinton, D.C. in VA.....

If anyone else has the same date please email me and maybe we can meet for dinner the night before and hang out....

It will be even more relaxing to know someone else there..

[email protected]

p.s. I would also like to find out how others plan to travel/accommodations etc...

thanks,

Mike

9. MedPuck

MedPuck Made

Hey EricOH, I remember you from my visit to DMU. My Alias is Shawn; my parents named me MedPuck. It was great to meet you. Have you heard from any schools yet? DMU should be coming soon. I really enjoyed the school, but I am hoping for CCOM or my State MD school, since I want to stay in Chicago. Good luck and see you around the forum! :D

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    I also have an interview at DMU on Friday november 16. I will be flying out from Philadelphia on Thursday and wanted to know if anyone was interested in splitting a hotel room.

I am going to begin researching flights and fares.

Does anyone know of any hotels/motels near the school? How far is the school from the airport?

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

11. MedPuck

MedPuck Made

Hotel Savery was great, especially for the price. It was an upscale atmosphere for a great rate, located about 1-2 miles east of DMU. Parking is valet only since it is in the middle of the city. Many others also stayed at this hotel. I drove to Des Moines from Chicago so I can't fill you in on fligt/car rental info. Good luck!

12. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    JP drop me an email.... I plan on flying in on thursday afternoon/evening and want to check out the city before interview on friday...

email me at [email protected]
    I'll tell ya about the fares I've found so far....

Mike

13. Katie1822

Katie1822 Senior Member

Hello, I'm a first year at DMU. The Savory is a nice place stay or they have a way you can stay with current students. I'm not sure how that works but I assume the admissions would be able to give you more details. The airport is about 10 - 15min away from campus and the same to the Savory. The hotel is on the same street as the school (Grand) so it will just be a 10 min drive to the campus the morning of your interview. Good luck to everyone!

14. PainMan

PainMan Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    TO JP AND MIKE-I interview on the 15th I will be driving so I will have a car if you want to see the town! I actually worked in Des Moines for a few months so I know my way around. It is a decent town. Not flashy but Drake University is there and has a few collegiate bars and the like. I can also brief you on the interview! I am staying at the holiday inn(on points though $105 a night otherwise) I agree that the Savery is a good place to stay $52 a night with airport shuttle.

Here we go! let me know your plans...!

15. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member

Hey Katie1822, Does DMU require or use laptops in class and do they have wireless internet on campus?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PainMan

PainMan Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    tryingtosubmit-try looking up DMU on a search for info on the Des Moines school. You will find that the links suggest the first two years are great. Including facilities and profs. however, the clerkship years seem to take a differnt tune. I understand there are not enough slots for everyone to stay in Des Moines. But, if you are from cali you may appreciate this. I also understand you can set up your own clerkships at any teaching hospital, including allopathic, if you arrange it yourself. sounds a little dangerous and unmentored, but I guess we are adults now. Some schools use a lottery because of the hometown slot situation. Personally, if I have to leave town I want to do it on my own accord.
    But all in all, Des Moines is an inexpensive, low-crime, bigger than you think town. The schools is respected in Des Moines and in the residency ranks from what I hear...

good luck

18. Katie1822

Katie1822 Senior Member

Slingblade: As of now, DMU does not require people to have laptops or even personal computers. Some people bring their laptops to class to take notes and some have keyboards hooked up to their Palm pro thingys. I'm not very computer savy so I'm not sure what you mean by wireless internet. I'm guessing it is more than the computer labs. I have found a personal computer to be helpful but I don't use mine in class. We can hook up to medline and other programs from home but software used specifically for a class (such as Histology lab) have to be used at school. I hope that answered your question.

19. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member

Hey, all - DMU is the best. I love this school. Chances are, if you are interviewing, or have interviewed, you have/will meet me. Popoy and I tend to have lunch with interviewees to make them feel at ease and answer questions. Basically I'll sit there and tell you how excited I am about this school, and how great it is - and it is and I am!

People have had one or two issues about their school, as do all, but the issues presented, if one wants to go back and look it all up, were very superficial (except the one about rotations, but that had nothing to do with DMU, but Osteopathic rotations as a whole - it's just that the guy complaining went to DMU). You'll see the school, and then you can form opinions of your own. The name's Jamie, and I hope to see you all during your interviews!

20. LynnGweeny

LynnGweeny Member

I don't suppose anyone has an interview scheduled at DMU for Dec. 6 or 7? Mine's on the 6th, but I'm trying to switch it to Friday. It would be great to meet up with someone in the same boat as me :)

21. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member

Ryan,

Does setting up "your own clerkships at any teaching hospital" include setting them up in any city you choose? Is that something that can be done at other schools as well? And/or how would such a process work, i.e., how does one go about doing that?

Any help will be greatly appreciated from anyone who cares to share.

Cheers,
    mompremed

22. solie

solie Senior Member

Has anyone used the shuttle service from the Savery Hotel? I'm wondering if it starts early enough to get to my interview in time.

Thanks!

23. titan

titan Senior Member

solie,

the savery shuttle will get you to your interview on time. it will even come back to DMU and pick you up when your interview is done. the hotel/shuttle service is very nice!

24. HockeySniper39

HockeySniper39 Junior Member

LynnGweeny
    I am also interviewing on Dec. 6, and I'm from Chicago too.

25. MedPuck

MedPuck Made

With a name like HockeySniper, you're a sureshot at DMU! Good luck guys, the day is relaxing and easy. :cool:

26. AYLC

AYLC Member

I am also interviewing on Dec. 6. I guess I will see you around then.... :)