Any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozziebear10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dual cell bio and biochem major at UGA

3.55 cGPA, 3.73 science GPA

Took mcat twice:
1st time 8VR 11PS 13BS, P writing
2nd time 11VR 8PS 14BS, P writing

2 years research, no publications....yet.

Extracurriculars - 5 years YMCA camp counselor and volunteer; shadowed with GP and ER physicians (looking for more now....); volunteered with ER, anesthesia, and cardiology in hospitals; currently volunteer with nonprofit organization focused on HIV-positive residents of Athens; served as a fraternity officer; various jobs on campus that I used to pay my way through (along with HOPE).

Pretty sure I have good LORs from multiple Ph.D.'s and one MD (looking for more).

Wondering whether I should commit to take the MCAT again.

I'm not excessively picky about schools; I've been to MCG before and really like it, but I would like to know what my chances are with other schools. I'm a Georgia resident but have close family ties in Illinois, Arizona and Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Your unbalanced MCAT and low cumulative GPA (lower than science) seem to be the only problem that I can see. Apply broadly and I think you'll do fine.

Good job pulling up that VS. If you apply to schools that take the highest subscore among MCATs taken to make a new composite, you'll look stronger than you think you are. Regardless a 33/3.55 with a higher BCPM GPA makes you competitive at a number of schools.

I would not retake the MCAT. Better to be lower in PS than VS.

How schools consider multiple MCAT scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566616

Dual cell bio and biochem major at UGA

3.55 cGPA, 3.73 science GPA

Took mcat twice:
1st time 8VR 11PS 13BS, P writing
2nd time 11VR 8PS 14BS, P writing

2 years research, no publications....yet.

Extracurriculars - 5 years YMCA camp counselor and volunteer; shadowed with GP and ER physicians (looking for more now....); volunteered with ER, anesthesia, and cardiology in hospitals; currently volunteer with nonprofit organization focused on HIV-positive residents of Athens; served as a fraternity officer; various jobs on campus that I used to pay my way through (along with HOPE).

Pretty sure I have good LORs from multiple Ph.D.'s and one MD (looking for more).

Wondering whether I should commit to take the MCAT again.

I'm not excessively picky about schools; I've been to MCG before and really like it, but I would like to know what my chances are with other schools. I'm a Georgia resident but have close family ties in Illinois, Arizona and Texas.

Dont need to take again...GA aint that hard to get in.

Shoot for MCG.....you should be competitive for it.....Emory is probably a stretch but then you are really competitive for Mercer...

Your scores show how unstandardized teh MCAT is......