Any Tips on a Older student getting back into Med School Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uncle Bob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

So a little background on myself. I am a 33 year old who has 2 bachelors degrees from UCSD in History and Molecular Bio. Graduated in '07. I went to med school in Caribbean's for 2 years '12-'14 and fell on some hard times and had to take leave of absence that went longer than expected.

So now Im enrolling in either a Kaplan, Princeton Review, Berkeley Review or 1 of those test prep courses. Any tips on 1 of those courses would be great too if anyone has one. Thinking of doing the in class ones because I need a little discipline to get going.

I have been doing research on breast cancer and other fields at UCLA till now and have been published quite a few times. I have tons of extracurriculars that could fill a boat. But my main issue is I have Very low GPA hence why I went to Caribbean's. It's around a 3.0 or maybe a little less. I want to go to a US school for a number of reasons that I wont start explaining here.

Other than My MCAT what suggestions do you guys have that will work for a older student like myself

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Do some reading on here, as you aren't the first... You have a snowballs chance to be honest, but have you tried retakes before of req courses to get your sgpa up and applying DO?

The issue is you've already not made it through one med school and your gpa is horrible, so you'll have to answer for the adcoms why would you be any better in their's?

Contact a bunch of DO schools and ask their advice on what you could do to maybe make yourself a good applicant next year.

Best of Luck