Any tips on B/B section bank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I'm having a really hard time understanding the passages at all, as I'm sure a lot of people do. The large amount of acronyms and pathways presented gets me pretty confused. Does anyone have tips on this? I'm pretty bad at understanding the purpose of the experiments/interpreting figures/basically this whole section.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a really hard time understanding the passages at all, as I'm sure a lot of people do. The large amount of acronyms and pathways presented gets me pretty confused. Does anyone have tips on this? I'm pretty bad at understanding the purpose of the experiments/interpreting figures/basically this whole section.

What helped me was realizing that they throw a ton of info at you that has nothing to do with any of the questions at all. You're going to see terms you don't know, and that's okay.

In terms of interpreting figures, I struggled here also, and the best advice I could give is just practice, practice, practice. Don't just do the SB questions once, do them over and over until you figure out how to pick up nuances in the passages accompanying the figure.

What helped me was realizing that they throw a ton of info at you that has nothing to do with any of the questions at all. You're going to see terms you don't know, and that's okay.

In terms of interpreting figures, I struggled here also, and the best advice I could give is just practice, practice, practice. Don't just do the SB questions once, do them over and over until you figure out how to pick up nuances in the passages accompanying the figure.

What materials are there that give similar practice other than the SB questions? Maybe a step below in difficulty? I have TBR, but I've noticed their bio passages are somewhat less experimental analysis based.

What materials are there that give similar practice other than the SB questions? Maybe a step below in difficulty? I have TBR, but I've noticed their bio passages are somewhat less experimental analysis based.

I used TPR and actually a McGraw-Hill set of practice tests in a book. The McGraw-Hill were certainly easier, but almost to the point where I didn't feel they were indicative of the real test. TPR wasn't bad. The Khan bio passages were okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem. When I first start B/B passages I was so confused by all the acronyms and letters. I just finished the B/B SB and what I did was any acronym they used I would highlight it so if I forgot what it meant I could quickly reference. I would also repeat words that were acronyms as the full word when I was reading it. For example if it said like "TF1" instead reading just 'TF1" I would purposely read "Transcription Factor 1". It might sounds weird but when you get to longer acronyms it's easy to just see a group of letters and just go "I know what that means" but for me saying each word in my head drilled in what the point of the passage was.

Reactions: 1 user
For some reason a lot of the acronym names bother me, kind of like how certain words just don't sound nice to the ears, words like "CREB" bother me for some reason....haha

Examkrackers bio section is heavy on experimental analysis...also altius exams are extremely heavy on data/experimental analysis.