Any tips on tackling biology passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

up40loves

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty with some biology passages. I know the information (studied Kaplan Biology book) but when I get to passages I have difficulty fully comprehending the material and answering the questions. Does anyone have tips on what I should do to improve?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having difficulty with some biology passages. I know the information (studied Kaplan Biology book) but when I get to passages I have difficulty fully comprehending the material and answering the questions. Does anyone have tips on what I should do to improve?

Thanks!

Stay low and aim for the midsection and drive through!!

That should make the tackle, lol!!

Seriously, I would read the explanations on practice tests until I started to get it. You have to be able to apply what you know!

if the passage is super confusing, draw a diagram with little arrows pointing with relationships. a lot of the time, that will help to clear things up. other than that, slow down when reading, and really try to read like you love the subject and want to grow up to be an expert on that subject. then you will remember more.

Members don't see this ad :)
The passages are meant to be confusing to throw you off guard, just remember the science behind them is simple. Often times you won't even need the passages. Bio started out as my worst and became my best by doing the entire 1001 biology questions in Examkrackers. Most are organized into passages so it really helps. also, the same questions are asked but in many different ways so it nails it into your head while helping you recognize what the question is really asking.

Basically whatever techniques you use to help you on verbal, apply to BS.

Eh, yes and no. For verbal you're really reading for the authors voice and the main ideas. A lot of what you're going to derive from the biology passages are details, but in terms of using the passages you should use them to the fullest extent (e.g.: if you can't think of what the answer would be, look for it in the passage).

in terms of using the passages you should use them to the fullest extent (e.g.: if you can't think of what the answer would be, look for it in the passage).
Excellent advice. Most often if your background knowledge doesn't isolate the right answer, some piece of information in the passage will help you pick the right answer!

I picked this strategy up from another thread on sdn....It is to simply start answering the questions without looking at the passage at all....Many questions are simply knowledge based and dont require the passage...

Obviously there will be questions that require the help of the passage..once you see a question like that go back to the passage and read it without wasting much time on detail....you'll realize that the figures/diagrams/graphs have useful information...so focus on them more than the detail on the actual passage...

If there is a genetics question with a punnett square or a pedigree...then dont waste time thinking what to do...a quick glance over the questions will make you realize that the diagram is needed...so then just go through it with the passage...

I dont see why you should have a problem answering the questions when you have already finished biology from kaplan...If you have the information and find the passages confusing then stick to the basic idea that the question is not hard at all....the passage is simply trying to throw you off track...answer the questions through what you remember...