Any toxic substances in dental office that a PREGNANT DENTIST should be careful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckytooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Any recommendations for a pregnant dentist who wants to know if she should avoid/be careful of any materials in dental office other than xrays?Also, nitrous is used in the office but not used by the dentist.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Study's have shown dentists spouses have a high level of nitrous in their system. So it doesn't quite matter who is using the nitrous. If it is in the office you'll be affected.

I was pregnant while down in clinic in dental school. My OB wasn't really concerned about the nitrous as long as the scavenging system was on, but I still avoided it. I don't think there was anything else I avoided. I did delay some elective treatment for myself but that was it. Good luck!

It's a generally good idea to avoid things that could be potentially dangerous, including nitrous, but in all honesty, all the studies done before the 1980s that are the basis for avoiding nitrous when pregnant in the dental office have been disproven and even the authors of the studies themselves later admitted to fabricating the data.