Any Traditional Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EJS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in college, 21 years old, and I hear so much on this server about "non-traditional" students, and well, I am starting to worry that I won't have anyone in my class that is my age and in my place in life. I am graduating from college with a bio degree at the normal age and am not married or engaged or anything. Are there other "traditional" students like me out there applying to schools for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, EJS. But I think we're the only two. *just joking* Most of the traditional applicants apply to Allopathic schools due to a lack of knowledge of Osteopathic schools and the preference that Allopathic schools give to them (probably because the younger students would be able to dedicate more of their lives in lengthy residencies--most Osteopathic students go on to be Family Practice doctors).

Make it three! I am also 21 and will be done with degrees in psych and bio in June... not married, not engaged, not attached! I'm glad to hear that there are a few "traditional" applicants out there. I was getting worried that I was the only one out there too! Most of my friends are applying to allopathic schools because they don't know much about osteopathic medicine, and those who have applied are using them as "backup" schools. Anyway... good luck in med school, guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make that one more! I thought that I had no chance for osteopathic med because when I went for my interview, I was the only one there who did not have a masters degree! (Or a child).
Anybody enrol at a school yet?

Have you been to the campus of an Osteo school? Most people there were between 21 and 25. At least they were at CCOM, AZCOM, and TUCOM. I'm 24 and not married so I barely slide into the traditional category.

Yeah!! at least there will be a couple of us, we'll probably be at different schools though.
smile.gif
ha ha.. I've only visited one school so far, but that was UNE and they have an undergrad program so it wasn't the usual OM school. Maybe we can all start a support program at school next fall.
smile.gif

Count me in too. 23 yr old bio major graduating this year. I think if you look at the average age of matriculates at most osteopathic colleges it is around 25 so one would assume that at least a third of the students would be considered "traditional" applicants. I myself look forward to having these older, nontraditional students as my classmates for both the knowledge that comes with an advanced degree and the maturity that usually comes with having a family. Just my 2 cents.

Who wants maturity? we will be "old" the rest of our lives. I'd rather be young for a while longer. That's why I am happy to be single and 21, when will I ever be able to go back to that? I just want to have some classmates who will want to have a little fun with me from time to time, not have to go home to the husband and the kids.

I've been to TUCOM on several occasions. In fact, I know the youngest person in the first year class this year... my ex-boyfriend (yes, sad but true... I am another failed relationship in medical school statistic
smile.gif
). He's 21 and aside from him, there's only one other 21-year-old. All of his friends are around 25 (and up)... that's why I thought that there weren't too many "traditional" students. I am glad to see and hear that there are a whole bunch of us out there! By the way... I have an interview at TUCOM coming up, will my age be against me?

I am still laughing at the classic role reversal!! Wooo-Hooo...this is so different than the other pre-med boards!

All of you "traditionals" who are concerned about being lonely or without peers in med school can relax. The majority of the people in your class, both in DO & MD programs, will be just like you. I am 33 and the 4th oldest in my entering class. In fact, there are damned few people in my class over the age of 27. However, my class has an uncharacteristically high %-age of married folks...but that is most likely due to KCOM's emphasis on accomodating spouses/SOs and families.

wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

It's all about showing your interviewer that you are a mature (mentally) individual. That you have really thought this decision to become a doctor through. This is a monumental life decision. By the way, I'm 22 and I'm as typical and "traditional" of an applicant as they come.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

EJS,

it is rather unfair to generalize "non-traditional" students as all being married and all having advanced degrees. realize there are many who aren't married (or attached), and didn't realize medicine was their calling in life until some later point in life, even if it was only a year or two after graduating from college. as for myself, i graduated college two years ago and still party like a "youngster" every weekend w/ my old college friends or people from work. i personally can't wait to meet the vast diversity of students next year, old or young, married or single, traditional or non... and share some great times together, whether it involves long hours of group studying or long friday nights out in town to relieve stress.

[This message has been edited by Smile (edited 12-26-1999).]

Hey, that's great if you want to party, I am glad, I was just worried about meeting some people my own age, etc... etc.. Just give me a shout out if you are a young and single!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by EJS (edited 12-27-1999).]