Any truth to this??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following quote was posted my Elysium about 3 years ago. I'm wondering if what he's saying still holds value now with DO schools. I'm interested in Anesthesiology, but don't like the idea of this being close to impossible by going to a DO school. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Elysium - "Here's the name of the game, period: if you want to do something really competitive, don't go to a DO school. I'm saying this as someone who goes to a DO school. You ain't gonn be matching Ortho at the Mayo Clinic (interestingly, one of my friends is doing Ortho at the Mayo Clinic. But, he went to Hopkins) at COMP or AZCOM or TUCOM or anywhere else, even if you make a 280 on Step I. That's just the way the game is played. There are obviously some DOs who match the competive specialties (we had a DO neurosurgeon of all things come and speak to our class), but they are definetly the exception to the rule. IF you want to do primary care, ER, PM&R, anesths, etc. you have a shot as a DO. If you want to do anything else, you better rock the hell out of your first two years, step I, your audition rotations, your 3rd year, and apply to both allo and osteo. It can be done. But it isn't easy. The difference between these DO schools is really splitting hairs. It's all up to you, not your school."

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you were to follow that statement as truth, per Elysium, anesthesia would still be an option

Members don't see this ad :)
The following quote was posted my Elysium about 3 years ago. I'm wondering if what he's saying still holds value now with DO schools. I'm interested in Anesthesiology, but don't like the idea of this being close to impossible by going to a DO school. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Elysium - "Here's the name of the game, period: if you want to do something really competitive, don't go to a DO school. I'm saying this as someone who goes to a DO school. You ain't gonn be matching Ortho at the Mayo Clinic (interestingly, one of my friends is doing Ortho at the Mayo Clinic. But, he went to Hopkins) at COMP or AZCOM or TUCOM or anywhere else, even if you make a 280 on Step I. That's just the way the game is played. There are obviously some DOs who match the competive specialties (we had a DO neurosurgeon of all things come and speak to our class), but they are definetly the exception to the rule. IF you want to do primary care, ER, PM&R, anesths, etc. you have a shot as a DO. If you want to do anything else, you better rock the hell out of your first two years, step I, your audition rotations, your 3rd year, and apply to both allo and osteo. It can be done. But it isn't easy. The difference between these DO schools is really splitting hairs. It's all up to you, not your school."

Go look at the match lists thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506978

After you have looked at all of the anesthesiology matches, come back and tell us what your feelings on are subject are.

I don't find match lists all that useful myself, but this should demonstrate that it isn't impossible, or even close to impossible to match anesthesiology if that's what you really want.

Go look at the match lists thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506978

After you have looked at all of the anesthesiology matches, come back and tell us what your feelings on are subject are.

I don't find match lists all that useful myself, but this should demonstrate that it isn't impossible, or even close to impossible to match anesthesiology if that's what you really want.

Thanks for the link cyclohexanol! Instead of freaking out and asking a dumb question I should have just looked at matches. It seems that every year the matches get better and better for all DO schools. I especially liked the match list for PCOM and KCUMB with anesthesiology. Thanks again!

DO's are making progress every day...things are better now than 3 years ago. Anyways, if you have a 280..the world is yours. I don't want to use names but there's an upstate ENT program where i have a MD cousin who happens to have a DO colleague in a program of 4. So its all possible..just stick to what you need to do...

This "don't go DO if you want to land a competitive specialty" crap is one of the most annoying SDN myths.

Competitive allopathic specialties are competitive because MDs have trouble getting them. Therefore, even if you're an MD and not a DO you'll still have a difficult time getting a "competitive" specialty. Again, I repeat, allopathic competitive specialties are competitive because of the number of MD applicants that do not succeed in matching into those specialties. Those specialties would still be competitive even if DOs did not exist!

To say that not going DO and going MD somehow will make a competitive specialty more attainable is ridiculous. It's almost as if people think that having an "M.D." somehow will make you "more smarter". Going to an MD school won't make it easier to land that dermatology residency you want if you still don't have it in you.

They tell you to rock the boards and do very well as a DO to attain a competitive specialty...meaning that as an MD you don't have to rock the boards and do well to attain a competitive specialty? Nonsense. If you can't hack it as a DO, you won't be able to hack it as an MD either.

the most important and truthful thing he posted was:

"It's all up to you, not your school"

from everything i've heard this is how it works for the most part. take care of your business and you'll be fine.

You ain't gonn be matching Ortho at the Mayo Clinic (interestingly, one of my friends is doing Ortho at the Mayo Clinic. But, he went to Hopkins) at COMP or AZCOM or TUCOM

Tell that to the ones that matched at Mayo, Yale, etc. for competitive specialties.

It's all up to you, not your school."

This is probably the most useful advice.

the most important and truthful thing he posted was:

"It's all up to you, not your school"

from everything i've heard this is how it works for the most part. take care of your business and you'll be fine.

SAvoodoo beat me to it.

This "don't go DO if you want to land a competitive specialty" crap is one of the most annoying SDN myths.

Competitive allopathic specialties are competitive because MDs have trouble getting them. Therefore, even if you're an MD and not a DO you'll still have a difficult time getting a "competitive" specialty. Again, I repeat, allopathic competitive specialties are competitive because of the number of MD applicants that do not succeed in matching into those specialties. Those specialties would still be competitive even if DOs did not exist!

To say that not going DO and going MD somehow will make a competitive specialty more attainable is ridiculous. It's almost as if people think that having an "M.D." somehow will make you "more smarter". Going to an MD school won't make it easier to land that dermatology residency you want if you still don't have it in you.

They tell you to rock the boards and do very well as a DO to attain a competitive specialty...meaning that as an MD you don't have to rock the boards and do well to attain a competitive specialty? Nonsense. If you can't hack it as a DO, you won't be able to hack it as an MD either.

beautiful ....

To say that not going DO and going MD somehow will make a competitive specialty more attainable is ridiculous.

I've actually heard that some program directors at allopathic surgery programs will simply not take a DO, regardless of how strong their credentials are.

I've actually heard that some program directors at allopathic surgery programs will simply not take a DO, regardless of how strong their credentials are.

Excellent progressive programs like Mayo reap the benefits of having their pick of the most qualified individuals. Just in the past few years, a significant number of grads are ending up in some traditionally non-progressive institutions, a sign that such programs are in a state of transition given the relatively recent opening of ACGME programs to DO's, the AMA's progressive stance on DO grads, and an increase in very well-qualified DO applicants to ACGME programs.

Everyone is entitled to their prejudices; however, anecdote does not prove the rule - while it may be more difficult to score an ACGME accredited surgery residency as an Osteopathic physician, it is not impossible. Some program directors will not interview Osteopathic medical students, but these numbers are decreasing. That said, surgery, in general is becoming more competitive all around because of the recent work-hours restrictions, giving the residents slightly more chance to "have a life."

This still does not apply once done with residency, however :)

I'm not too interested in this thread, since it's been re-hashed at least a 1000 times, but I couldn't help but smile at the above statement, since a DMU grad actually did do his ortho residency at Mayo.

Read what Shinken wrote - for whatever reason, it's something that pre-meds and even med students commonly ignore.