Any UCLA Undergrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm apply to medical school this summer and I was just wondering if there were any UCLA graduates that can tell me how medical schools view the undergraduate education at UCLA. How much more difficult are the classes at Medical School than they were at UCLA? Thanks!!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA Paratrooper:
•Hey!

I'm apply to medical school this summer and I was just wondering if there were any UCLA graduates that can tell me how medical schools view the undergraduate education at UCLA. How much more difficult are the classes at Medical School than they were at UCLA? Thanks!!!!

UCLA Paratrooper•••••Medical schools in general view favorably on the undergrad education of UCLA! Unlike many Harvard classes where half the people get A or A- UCLA has no grade inflation and the ADCOM of these medical schools know that.

In CA UCLA is known well for being a great school and the same holds true on the East Coast. I am on the East coast right now and many schools and employers are impressed with my degree from UCLA.

The problem with UCLA pre-meds are there ate lots of them so many of the private schools see lots of applicants from all the UCs. You must somehow stand out from the crowd because there are a lot of qualified applicants from the UCs.

As far as med school courses I took a lot of 1st year med school courses during my post-bac year. The material is not harder and in some cases like medical biochemistry was actually much easier than UCLA's biochem 153 series (if they still have that series). The real issue is the pure VOLUME of material that kills people. It's a lot (I mean a lot) of stuff to memorize. You can not cram like you did in undergrad. You just gotta keep on top of things.

As a UCLA grad, I can tell you I've gotten much love from the ADCOMs. I'm heading to DUKE next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm biochem wasn't that hard. i thought ochem was much much harder!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Post Count +1:
•hmmm biochem wasn't that hard. i thought ochem was much much harder!•••••What kind of a post is that? Are you bragging that biochem was easy for you? It was easy for me too! I was a biochem major and got all A's in biochemistry. I was merely stating that the medical biochem in med school was not as extensive as that at UCLA undergrad.