Any UCSB or UCSD or UCI undergrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferring to either UCSD, UCSB or UCI.

Right now i'm leaning toward UCSB so I can study hard and party hard. I think UCSB would be a good experience, rather than sitting in the library at UCSD or on my ass at UCI.

Any students of these 3 schools? Why did you go? recommendations/advice?

thanks
-adios

Members don't see this ad.

MrDreamWeaver said:

Right now i'm leaning toward UCSB so I can study hard and party hard. I think UCSB would be a good experience, rather than sitting in the library at UCSD or on my ass at UCI.

thanks
-adios

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you want to party, why would you want to go to a place only to sit in a library or on your ass?

Santa Barbara all the way. Ocean view dorms, chill as hell, UC name.

Members don't see this ad :)
MrDreamWeaver said:

thanks
-adios
Since you're a transfer student, I'm guessing that you're getting closer to turning 21. UCSB is great when you're a freshman and want to get ****faced and bathe yourself in 18 y/o sleeze. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy visiting my best bud up there during my first year or two of undergrad, but it gets old quick...and after all, TJ provides a similar scene down south. And after you get that out of your system, the nightlife up there is fairly dull. Once you hit 21, the area around UCSD (Downtown SD/Gaslamp, Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar) offers maaany more options for the 21+ scene than UCSB.

OctoDoc said:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you want to party, why would you want to go to a place only to sit in a library or on your ass?

You seem to know what you want so go for it. It is a good school.

NapeSpikes said:
Ocean view dorms, chill as hell, UC name.
Same goes for UCSD and San Diego.

I will suggest AGAINST UCI. I transferred to UCI, and that's the biggest mistake I made in life. That's a place with a bunch of jerks and conservative stupid asses. Please forgive my language, but I can't help.

I agree, UCSD is much better... academics and party... I went to UCI... nightlife sucked!

I went to UCSB for a year and a half before transferring to UC Davis. (I'm from SB) I felt that the school attracted really top-notch professors -- knowledgable, but also someone you might go surfing with. (I'm sure it happened, not just to me!) The thing that always bothered me was you had these professors giving these mind-blowing lectures, and you'd look around and half the class would be passed out, stoned, drunk, etc. It was really hard to stay focused there. I definitely spent too much time surfing. I tried to get into the honors section of classes I wanted to take seriously. If you're a nerd, it gets a little lonely, but you'll find your niche. I say go there -- it's so beautiful, and really a good education -- but make sure you're really committed to studying as well as partying. Also, be prepared to answer dumb questions about it on the interview trail. I don't think it will hurt you, as long as you get good grades and do reasonably well on the MCAT, but people have stereotypes. Thank god people are starting to forget that there was a soap opera called "Santa Barbara"! Good luck!

SB is not that competitive so its pretty easy to get good grades with plenty of time to party and just hang out.

MrDreamWeaver said:

thanks
-adios

As a fourth year at UCSB, I must say that this is a great school. Not only for academics it has five noble laureates, and is ranked up there, but also for a great social experience. There are distractions as there are with any other school, however the quality, whether it be academic or non academic is unbeleivable. Keep your head in the game, it depends on you, doesn't matter where you go, if you get distracted the outcome will be the same at any school. I would highly recommend UCSB, a great set of people, great professors and an intellectually challenging environment. Avg highschool G.P.A of an accepted student was over 4.0 this year, so you will meet many people who are determined or motivated (not stoners and drunks). So research it yourself, but if you want a great education and college experience, definiatley go to UCSB.

North Shore said:
...if you want a great education and college experience, definiatley go to UCSB.

ooohh, that's priceless! :laugh:

bluntman knows wassup, went to UCSD too, got my first choice, and he's goin to UCLA, nuf said, and i had a ball at UCSD, just need to find your crowd, i partied plenty (perhaps too much), but when i visited my friends at UCSB i could barely handle it, seemed like everyone was stuck at age 17, 2 days was enough per visit, and san diego is probably the best city in the country in terms of weather, people, and fun

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, thanks for the suggestions guys. A lot of you filled me in on the stuff that I really wanted to know.

It's funny how things work... originally I really wanted to go to UCI thinking "MED SCHOOL IS MY #1 GOAL!! AHHH!!" Yeah, **** that. I want to enjoy college. I used to enjoy life until I got tied up in all this med-school bull****. Most of the people in my classes are douche-bags and talk about med school 24/7. I get home and there is nothing going on (age 20) so it's pretty lame. I end up going out to SDSU every weekend to party with people I hardly even know.

I want to experience college, i want to get the hell out of San Diego. I think Santa Barbara is where I will find what i've been looking for.

Once again, thanks guys. UCSB seems like a good fit for me =)

I'm a UCSB grad, and a transfer student, and I loved going to school in SB. IV didn't appeal to me in the slightest and so I chose to live in Goleta. Ironically, I was in IV every weekend working for the UCSB ambulance, Rescue 7. If you are an EMT, or considering getting certified, Rescue 7 is great experience for someone interested in medicine. I did get pretty sick of picking up drunk kids and dip****s injured in fights but there were also some great calls. As far as the education goes, I chose to major in English because UCSB is pretty heavy on the plant/fish bio. I happen to to be a lot more interested in humans (ecology was the most boring thing I have ever endured) and so UCSB's bio program didn't appeal to me. The pre-med kids I had contact with were very mellow and I enjoyed most of my classes. The weather is unbeatable, there is minimal traffic, and there is some incredible coastline to the north. Have fun

Reactions: 1 user
easy...UCSB. Number 2 ranked party school in playboy this year. nuff said.

Gaucho here! i absolutely LOVED SB!! i'm from SD and i'd go back to SB in a heartbeat. the professors out there are amazing and as long as you're focused, you'll be able to work hard and play hard. as far as the competitiveness, i never once experienced anything of the sort. SD offers more nightlife if you're over 21 but it's also much more expensive in SD than most of the places on state street in SB. good luck (and don't forget to try a cantina breakfast burrito after a hard night of partying...)!

Sweet, thanks guys.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go to UCSB :)

LT2 said:
(and don't forget to try a cantina breakfast burrito after a hard night of partying...)!
Mmmm...love that place!

kmw5555 said:
I will suggest AGAINST UCI. I transferred to UCI, and that's the biggest mistake I made in life. That's a place with a bunch of jerks and conservative stupid asses. Please forgive my language, but I can't help.
I remember reading a list that listed UCI as #3 school for parties in OC. :smuggrin:

LT2, you're giving up on UCSD? At least some other schools throw us waitlisters hints or reject people post-interview.

OctoDoc said:
ooohh, that's priceless! :laugh:
Congrats man you found a typo in my post. Help yourself to a cookie. I don't make it a habit to proofread my posts so thanks for being my editor and doing it for me, I have some other things that need to be proofread, let me know if you want me to send them over to you.

I went to UCSD for undergrad and my brother graduated from UCSB. I'd definitely go for either UCSD or UCSB over UCI, since the area around UCI is rather boring and UCSD/SB have better names (though UCI clearly isn't bad at all). Obviously I'm a little biased toward UCSD since I went there... It's definitely a good combination of studying and nice scenery, but not too out of control.

North Shore said:
Congrats man you found a typo in my post. Help yourself to a cookie. I don't make it a habit to proofread my posts so thanks for being my editor and doing it for me, I have some other things that need to be proofread, let me know if you want me to send them over to you.

That was funny. I'm sorry you took it presonaly.

Let me start out with this: If UCSB did not have a med school, I would never leave and my goal is to get a great residency and move back ASAP.

The professors are accessable, your classmates chill (only one gunner POS pre-med in my whole time there), and your life will be happy outside of school. Do you like mountains? They are 5 min from school, to climb or bike. Surfing is about 23 sec. from school. Great restaurants and near perfect climate. Also, while there may be more in SD in the way of nightlife. The fact that everything in SB is so much closer makes it much more usable for me.

MrDreamWeaver said:

thanks
-adios

Although all three schools have a good academic side to them,

UCSB: Hardcore party school. If you can really balance the heavy party atmosphere with the academics, then this is where you should be. If you are weak minded and cannot control yourself, and your number one priority is med school, then it's probably smart that you go somewhere else.

UCSD: Hardcore study school. If you like studying and the studying atmosphere, you'll probably fit in great. More competition though.

UCI: The middle ground. By the way, I'm a transfer student at UCI and I am completely satisfied with the atmosphere here. Professors are great, especially the chemistry ones, and there are numerous resources for students. Oh yea (compared to UCSD), less competition = less stress.

This is only through my knowledge of the schools so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

*Schools were not written in any special order.

pls accept me said:
I remember reading a list that listed UCI as #3 school for parties in OC. :smuggrin:

LT2, you're giving up on UCSD? At least some other schools throw us waitlisters hints or reject people post-interview.

hey fellow waitlist buddy!

i haven't given up on UCSD, i just wanted to belong somewhere (other than the pool for awhile)! plus, i wouldn't just leave without telling you guys! :p

mmmmmmm, cantina... (we need a drooling emoticon)

medking said:
Although all three schools have a good academic side to them,

UCSB: Hardcore party school. If you can really balance the heavy party atmosphere with the academics, then this is where you should be. If you are weak minded and cannot control yourself, and your number one priority is med school, then it's probably smart that you go somewhere else.

UCSD: Hardcore study school. If you like studying and the studying atmosphere, you'll probably fit in great. More competition though.

UCI: The middle ground. By the way, I'm a transfer student at UCI and I am completely satisfied with the atmosphere here. Professors are great, especially the chemistry ones, and there are numerous resources for students. Oh yea (compared to UCSD), less competition = less stress.

This is only through my knowledge of the schools so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

*Schools were not written in any special order.

So here is the deal. I graduated from UCSB in 04. The greatest experience of my life. Just like eveyrone is saying you have to be tough minded. I was unable to balance the social party stuff with school in my first year....and thus i ate **** in school. By next year I was on top of my stuff. But then some of my friends....who were more serious and smarter than me...continued to stay on that party mode...and are still livin it up and eating **** in school every year. You have to be able to balance in out....and get those As. If you can do that...and A LOT OF PEOPLE CAN!! you are going to have the time of your life!

me = UCI grad

I LOVED UCI. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT.
everything everyone has said above is true, and despite all this, i still loved it. the lack of atmosphere made it much easier to make my own atmosphere. if you're lazy and don't like to make your own fun, UCI def isn't for you. parties, crazyness are there, you've just gotta make it. have you seen PCU? when jeremy piven says, 'it is really a cry for help. Please have a party! Feed us drinks!' just like that, ya know, minus the protests.

saying that, UCI as a transfer is v. tough. the social networking is done mostly in the first year, though depending on the program you're planning on entering you'll have an easier time. chemistry is notorious for having a lot of transfers and small classes, so transfers don't have much of a problem, but bio has HUGE classes and not too many transfers (especially ratio-wise) so it is much more difficult to meet people etc.

any questions PM me.