any Umass applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there is applying to Umassmed? I'm wondering if they have sent out secondaries or started interviews yet. Also wondering if their secondary is the same as it has been for YEARS...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm applying too! Right now I'm a research associate at UMass Med and I'd love to stay here! I called admissions a while back and they said not to send a paper copy of AMCAS or anything; they are waiting for AMCAS transmittal, and they'll be waiting a while! I don't think they have sent out seocndaries and they certainly aren't interviewing yet. I've heard that their secondary focuses on proving your Mass residency...if you're not a Mass resident they really won't look at you.

Hey Bee, where are you doing research at? What other schools are you applying too? What school did you graduate from? Sorry but I've been visiting this forum since April and I've never seen another Mass person! BTW I'm a '00 Holy Cross grad from Worcester. U Mass is totally my top choice. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Serpiente,
I am doing research at Mass General. I am not sure where else I am going to apply, I was totally set on doing early decision but didn't because of all the amcas problems etc.. I think that I will probably go ahead with UConn and I am not sure where else. I really don't want to go far from my family . I went to North Park University in Chicago (small school that no one has ever heard of ...)
And yes, a big part of their secondary is residency stuff. You have to fill out this huge (12 pages maybe) form and get it notarized :(

Hey, UMass applicants! Finally...I'm not the only one!

No, I don't think UMass has started sending out secondaries as of yet. And no, the secondary does not focus primarily on your residency; that's a separate form enclosed with the application (in case you're wondering, I've applied there before and was wait listed, but not accepted). Best of luck to all of you and when you get secondaries, let us all know. I'm waiting for mine, too!

I got an email invite to the link for the secondary within a week of submitting to AMCAS, so probably around august 10th. However, I only sent the secondary off yesterday. FOr those who don't know, there are three aspects to the secondary: application, residency history, and off-campus interview questionaire. The secondary is very much a real secondary, questions about your favorite book, favorite class, what you would do if you dont get into med school, a CV request if you have been out of school for +1 year, etc. The more I learn about he school, the more I want to go there. Good luck, y'all.

Can you post the link to the secondary? I listed UMass on my AMCAS application but UMass has yet to receive any information from AMCAS about me (despite that all the other schools I've applied to have). I love AMCAS...

Anyway, if I have the link, I can start on the application and send it whenever I'm officially invited to do so. Thanks!

GMendese,
I submitted to AMCAS about a month and a half ago, and I haven't recieved anything from UMass either. Did you call admissions and ask them to send you info about the secondary? are they refusing to contact you until your app's verified etc?

I just called today and they told me that my unverified application arrived yesterday. Things got delayed last week because of the attacks, so maybe they received yours as well. She told me that I'll be getting an email today inviting me to fill out the secondary. Good luck to you!

I'm somewhat hesitant to post the link, guys. In another topic area, a guy got a phone call from a school for submitting a secondary withoout an invitation to do so. The school (Washington) wanted to know where he got the link etc. However, I think that not a lot of people apply there, AMCAS is ALL kinds of f*cked up, so here it is: http://www.umassmed.edu/som/admissions/prospectives/

There is no link from the UMassMed homepage. I wish you the best of luck, together, we'll all kick AMCAS's ass. Peace out.