1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Any University of Michigan Dental Students?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by katiebell, Aug 18, 2015.

1. katiebell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    U of M is my only option for Dental school, I am a momma and am kind of stuck where I am at. Detroit Mercy is an option too, but Ann Arbor is a lot closer. I am wondering what peoples stats were that were accepted. And I have questions on some of the prerequisites you took. I have a few from CC ( gen chem 1, full year english, micro ( transfers as 300 lv.), and intro psychology). Also, is calculus necessary? I can't find it any where on their website if it is required or not. Any wolverines out there? :)

2. ShineeTeeth!

On their website Michigan says that the entering class gpa average was 3.59. From the most recent ADEA guide the entering 2014 class had an undergraduate total gpa range of 2.92-4.21 with an average of 3.53 and a science gpa range of 2.57-4.23 with an average of 3.46. Graduate gpas were higher. Also, I would recommend contacting Michigan about your cc prereqs. I know its not an absolute requirement to have your prereqs done at a four year university for them but I was told by them that they strongly recommend it. They would be able to give you the best advice about your prereqs. I also don't think calc is necessary but again it won't hurt to ask them. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

katiebell likes this.
  3. OrthoFriendly

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ShineeTeeth pretty much nailed it regarding our GPA average. As far as CC credits go, your best bet is to call the school and speak to one of the staff. Personally, I had some pre-reqs done at a CC and it was not an issue.

Go Blue!

DentalLonghorn2014 and katiebell like this.
  4. RuffDay

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Welcome to SDN! This site will be your best friend until you get into dental school.

The people above pretty much provide you great information. You can also call/email the schools to get any additional information.

Are you currently enrolled in a University?

DentalLonghorn2014 and katiebell like this.
  5. katiebell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

6. katiebell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA, , sGPAand DAT? This is comforting news.

#6 katiebell, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. katiebell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you! Yup, I am at Eastern Michigan Universtiy, about 15 minutes or so from Ann Arbor. My major is Dietetics and am starting my program next year ( Coordinated program, internship included). Till now my plan was to go into PA after Dietetics because Dietetics basically covers all the prereqs for it. But I keep going back to the idea of Dentistry, and it just feels more right than PA. So thanks! Everyone has been very helpful so far. I sent the U of M advisor an email, but its taking a few days to get back to me.

8. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Welcome to SDN!
    Regarding prereqs, I know that Michigan requires sociology also. Calculus is not required by any dental schools as far as I know... stats is a requirement instead.

Also, if possible you may want to avoid using your real name on SDN to maintain anonymity.

9. katiebell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I didn't really think about that. I can't figure out how to change it either.

10. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's okay. I guess you can always make another account?

DetermineDent likes this.