Any URM Postbaccers or SMPers Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliprincess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys at, huh?? Or am I the only one....1 is the loneliest number :D

UMDNJ-GSBS!

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you guys at, huh?? Or am I the only one....1 is the loneliest number :D

UMDNJ-GSBS!

Think of your experience as good practice for when you get to private practice and residency. You will quickly find that URMs are pretty scarce and rare especially in the surgical specialties. At many vascular surgery conferences, I am definitely the "only one" most times. My colleages are great for fellowship though and I have never felt "unwelcome".

UMDNJ-GSBS!

If I am fortunate this cycle, then at the *ripe old* age of 28 I'll be starting a 15-year quest to become a neurosurgeon-scientist.

Did all of my prereqs on a self-guided post-bacc last year.

WELCOME to the club! :)

-MBound

Members don't see this ad :)
Black woman, looking into Post-bacc here!
1+1= 2
2 STRONG! :)

I'm taking a few courses post-bacc, though I'm not in an official program.

I'm starting the VCU Graduate Postbac this fall! I thought about the UMDNJ one as well since I'm from NYC but.......here I am at VCU/MCV.

Wassup everybody, well anybody who reads this thread. I start my postbacc at UC Davis School of Medicine this fall! Looking forward to it. It should be fun, a lot of work but fun. God bless everybody in their program. Are people in here applying after the postbacc?

ur not alone. i was doing my own informal post-bacc...bad news is i ran out of money over the summer, so no classes for me this semester. good news is i have two interview invites so far, hopefully i can get in somewhere so it wont matter...if so, i'll be starting at the ripe old age of 27:rolleyes:

I'm doing a post-bac at Rutgers University.

I took some post-bac, now I am applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently applying to three programs: Barry Univ, Hampton Univ. & NJ-Biomedical Sciences for the spring semester. I will keep everyone updated.

Wise :cool:

I am currently applying to three programs: Barry Univ, Hampton Univ. & NJ-Biomedical Sciences for the spring semester. I will keep everyone updated.

Wise :cool:

Hey, im in the same boat. finshing my b.a this may, and Im trying to go to UCONN or UMDNJ. Wiseprincess227-do you know if the umdnj ms program is linkage to other schools, not just theres? thanks

I got into UMDNJ and Barry University! Now it's decision time! The best to everyone, Wise :cool:

Postbac at NIU, getting a second degree in Bio, first was in Soc. I got the "status change" on 10/25 from UIC, waiting for the decision to get here via snail mail, stay tuned.............

I'm doing an informal post-bacc as well. Just turned 26 yesterday. :hardy: Good luck everyone!

I am enjoying my postbacc so far. I am at UC Davis SOM. Classes are going good so far, it is a lot of work but it is ok because something worth having is worth working for. I am taking Endocrinology, Gastrointestinal Physiology, Excercise Physiology, and an Infectious Disease seminar. How is the postbacc for everybody else? God bless.

Forgot to post here, I got into UIC, I've already withdrawn from everywhere else except Loyola and Michigan, and I might withdraw from Michigan soon. It's nice to be able to relax, finally...

I'm now a little bit more than halfway through my postbac program. Not satisfied with my grades this past semester so I'm really going to have to get serious next semester. I can't believe I'm almost done with all this pre-med stuff....

Hi there:
I've applied and they have received my app! It's a new program being offered near Philadelphia. Keep your fingers crossed! :thumbup:

I got into UMDNJ and Barry University! Now it's decision time! The best to everyone, Wise :cool:
I am interested in Barry post bacc program, but I don't know if I'll measure up. If you don't mind sharing, can you let me know what your GPA and MCAT was like, and any other factors that may have affected your application. Thanks

What's up people...I completed a postbacc at Penn. Now I am just doing a little research for UPenn's SOM here Killadelphia (LOL...partially joking about the Killadelphia thing).

I will be applying this coming June (I initially submitted my apps for the 08 admission but had to withdraw due to a medical issue. If God says so I will be applying this coming June for 09' admission

What's up people...I completed a postbacc at Penn. Now I am just doing a little research for UPenn's SOM here Killadelphia (LOL...partially joking about the Killadelphia thing).

I will be applying this coming June (I initially submitted my apps for the 08 admission but had to withdraw due to a medical issue. If God says so I will be applying this coming June for 09' admission
Heyy
i also just completed a post bacc at Penn and am doing research in killadelphia, but for pennsylvania hospital not penn. i'm currently applying. Good luck in the upcoming cycle!

Heyy
i also just completed a post bacc at Penn and am doing research in killadelphia, but for pennsylvania hospital not penn. i'm currently applying. Good luck in the upcoming cycle!

you did?!?!?!?!?!?! Wait...there are so few of us so it is likely that I met you before

What classes did you take while you were here?
I am also a TA for histology and I helped out alot with the orientations for new students.

Also: Did Grace write your letter?

Good morning everybody, I am just stopping by to check in. I am doing my postbacc at UCDSOM and it is going good. This quarter I am taking, Medical Immunology, Virology, Clinical Exercise Physiology, and a Health Care to Underserved Populations. I will also be applying this June for fall 09, so we shall see what the good Lord has in store for me. I'm praying that he will bless me to get into Howard, In Jesus Name! God bless yall

you did?!?!?!?!?!?! Wait...there are so few of us so it is likely that I met you before

What classes did you take while you were here?
I am also a TA for histology and I helped out alot with the orientations for new students.

Also: Did Grace write your letter?
Well i did the college of general studies postbacc so that i could just take courses in whatever i wanted. Last semester i took biochem and two anthro courses. My favorite course by far was paleopathology with professor Zimmerman! I wanted to take histology last semester but it was full by the time i got my penn key all sorted out and was able to sign up for classes. My letter was written by the Princeton HPA, where i went to undergrad.

Hi All,

I'm doing a postbac a la carte. I've taken cell bio, human phys and lab, microbio, genetics, anat, biological anthro, biotechnology, and I'm currently in Gene Regulation/Genetic Engrng and immunology. Although if things don't pan out I'm looking into the UMDNJ master's in biomedical sciences at Newark and Stradford; GEMS, the prog at Wake, and I'm looking into the one at Hampton since the second year of the program looks very interesting/useful...although I'm really only looking for a 1 yr program.

Even though I'll be sending out apps for those soon, I'm praying/hoping that the schools I haven't heard from yet will belss me with interviews and acceptances.

MBound & Savantrice...I'm already 29 (turning 30 as a MS1 if I'm lucky this year), you're young! ;) I sooo need (want) be be in school before I hit 30. Clearly I'm the old head here :-\

Hey WisePrincess227: Did you get into the UMDNJ prog? My friend is in the stratford prog and she really likes it and is doing well there. G'luck

Hey all, just droppin in to say hi. Everyone keep your heads up, keep praying, and keep studying. We will all get where we need/want to be if we keep on pushing! I still can't believe winter break went by so fast, but I am looking forward to finishing my SMP (at UMDNJ) and starting med school in the fall. Good luck to everyone this semester...let's get those A's!

Hye everyone I am currently doing an informal ala cart post bac program at a small HBCU, but its not very challenging, and I need a change.
I am planning on applying for Dental school, are there any good programs to look into that one can recommend?

Thank you.

Tamala: Most of the postbac programs for med are also for dent (or very applicable), since as I understand the first two years of basic science are quite similar if not the same. Go to the postbac forum; there's a lot of information in there! G'luck

also try http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ there you can look for info based on your needs.

Hey everyone...

Im a post-bacc at Hunter College (NYC) Just finished my first semester and Im freeling pretty good!

Just wondering if anyone has heard or gotten info from the school about this one year program?