Any URMs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishing4MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Any URMs out there that applied mid august with a 3.5 and 25 MCAT and had a successful cycle? I'm a hispanic female with great EC's, mostly geared towards working with minorities and the underserved and I'm worried about applying so late with such a low score. Anyone been in a similar boat??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
Any URMs out there that applied mid august with a 3.5 and 25 MCAT and had a successful cycle? I'm a hispanic female with great EC's, mostly geared towards working with minorities and the underserved and I'm worried about applying so late with such a low score. Anyone been in a similar boat??

Why would you submit in August if you already have an MCAT score?

Because I am retaking July 14. But i'm trying to be realistic about my scores :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit and indicate that you have another score coming.

Reason 1. Your primary application will be verified prior to your second score release which will speed the process.
2. Some schools won't review your app until the new score gets there anyway so no harm
3. Get a head start on secondary applications.
4. A 25 will get you some interviews. What's your breakdown?

Haven'r received my score from May 31, but I highly doubt I received anything higher. I think my 3.5 GPA is ok, I have TONS of teaching experience for underserved communities and a lot of volunteer works and clinical experience with minorities as well. It's just my MCAT and late application that I'm worried will hold me back from an acceptance this year.

Oh so you're projecting that your score is 25

Do you plan to apply broadly, MD and DO?

I'm not a fan of DO, but I will be applying to about 40 MD schools

This tune will change once you do not get into any MD schools this cycle.

Thanks for the positivity! I can tell it oozes from your pores lol :D

What I don't like about being a DO is that my places to practice are limited. Advisors have told me that certain countries and certain residencies don't accept DO degrees. So it's because I want to keep my options open. Not because I feel its different than an MD degree.

Hey everyone!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/search.php?style=advanced

You can use that website to search for people with the same stats who have been accepted to Med School in the last couple of years.

Is URM status based on JUST race/ethnicity? I'm white non-hispanic but come from a household with about 35K/year. So do I still qualify? I have good EC's, high GPA, clinical experience, and 25 MCAT - 8PS, 8VR, 9BS and am considering MD and DO schools. I keep getting emails via Med-MAR from MD/DO schools and don't know if this will help me to be considered...

Is URM status based on JUST race/ethnicity? I'm white non-hispanic but come from a household with about 35K/year. So do I still qualify? I have good EC's, high GPA, clinical experience, and 25 MCAT - 8PS, 8VR, 9BS and am considering MD and DO schools. I keep getting emails via Med-MAR from MD/DO schools and don't know if this will help me to be considered...

URM status yes it is based on race/ethnicity...Disadvantaged status is not based on race but income/socioeconomic basis (access to healthcare/educational disadvantages etc.)

Thanks for the positivity! I can tell it oozes from your pores lol :D

What I don't like about being a DO is that my places to practice are limited. Advisors have told me that certain countries and certain residencies don't accept DO degrees. So it's because I want to keep my options open. Not because I feel its different than an MD degree.

What other country do you plan to practice in? DOs practice in every specialty, so there are no residency fields that are off limits to DOs. And with a low MCAT (1 point above the accepted minimum for a lot of DO schools), some will expect you to score equally low on Step 1 (probably not true, but playing devil's advocate) which would disqualify you from more residencies. The best thing to do is to apply broadly to both MD and DO because you want to be a doctor. Those residencies you won't get into as a DO are probably the same residencies you won't get into as an MD (You won't be able to go to a tier school with that score), And for the record, my school placed 2 students in competitive residencies at Hopkins this year (and many more in competitive residencies elsewhere)